Obama fires the Secretary of Defense

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 24, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha, obama wants more war powers . But is ok to be a war monger when you are a democrat, God knows your base won't call you out:mad:

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

First blush says bad call, I'll be curious how this all comes out

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Obama is still looking for a yes man to him at the Pentagon. :eek:

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Just out of curiosity; how many wars has Obama started?

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

War monger? After Dubya took Iraq apart, there were no good options, although leaving early would have saved us 100s of billions, but would have left Iraq with a power vacuum and guaranteed civil war and instability. You may not agree with the path President Obama has taken, but I don't regard him as a war monger, someone who revels in war as a means of resolving conflict. I believe he was influenced by Colin Powell's words, "If you break it, you own it."

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Obama is King of Drones. ;)

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So we broke Yemen, Somalia, Syria, and over 100 other countries that the empire continues to operate covert wars in?

WE ARE EVERYWHERE, UNDECLARED.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm 53 years old ... and can't remember a time when we weren't.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly. Continuing that legacy in a long, long line of empirical war mongers.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Boom! A real shame that America hasn't even had the chance to embrace the 'change' that Obama promised. Then again, the poor guy tries to make the smallest ever change to healthcare and the entire country flips out and shuts down... so I'm not surprised one bit. You're your own worst enemies.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There was in interesting piece in VFW magazine about siblings in war. Secretary Hagel was in Vietnam with his brother and they each saved each others life in that time I didn't know either fact. I don't think the president should pick Carter while he seems to be a good staffer I don't think he'd make a good decision maker. I think a better pick may be GEN Austin or GEN Rodriguez

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Chuck Hagel is that rare Republican who isn't a Vietnam-era draft-dodging chickenhawk.

Attached Files:

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

NO, Iraq is the only country were we unilaterally invaded and removed the dictator based on fabricated reasons. We violated International Law.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

None declared. Just armed a few rebels & bombed a few sovereign nations in the name of peace:rolleyes:

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder if we'll see Hagel running for President or Vice-President next election.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes we did.

And the drone assassinations all over Africa violate international law. Our still ongoing 3rd party torture programs violate international law. We constantly drop SEAL teams and their multiple equivalents into countries we are not in declared wars with, violating international law. We sell arms to those whom we can't under international law. Hell, our de facto solution to problems in regime change behinds the scenes...which again violates international law.

Our foreign policy, en masse, is empire which functionally in itself is violating international law.

But international law doesn't matter when you are running the show militarily, economically, and through client actors...this is empire and the only thing that will bring us back into the good graces of the international community is to end it.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fires his Defense Secretary? Sensationalist, much?

Every news outlet is reporting that Hagel resigned.

BL.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No one who sticks around for years gets fired unless there is some outrage that the media has whipped up. Everyone resigns for the cameras regardless of the actions. I have a feeling that Hagel has had enough, you can see the GOP getting to him in the hearings on CSPAN and I think he's tired of playing the game at this level.

20. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Sure they are. Kathleen Sebelius "resigned," too. As did Rummy. As did Petraeus from CIA. When the President "asks" you to resign, you're fired.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Can you please cite where Obama asked Hagel to resign?

BL.

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

23. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Are you ****ing kidding? We call him out on being too conservative ALL THE TIME.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

based on the new york times article i read, it seems as if a big reason he was fired was because he wasn't articulate and was less assertive than other people in the white house. interesting reason to fire someone i guess

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda