Obama Girl didn't vote, surprised?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    And, that's exactly the problem Obama has when inspiring a younger generation of voters. Sometimes they forget how important it is to actually get out and vote... or somehow... something is more important to them... like going to a party. Meanwhile, Clinton's senior set votes like clockwork, fighting arthritis and even disability to get out to the polls. Oy. Sorry, this attitude gets no sympathy from me.
    http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/obama-girl-didnt-vote/
    She'd rather have a "crush" on a candidate than actually take the time to participate in her civic duty... and vote for him (or anyone else). :rolleyes: I'm resisting saying anything much more negative. Just unbelievable.
    See? She's a "little" upset. It's not as if anyone had to struggle for her right to vote. Oh, wait...

~ CB

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm not sure that this represents a statistically significant sample size.

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Well, its what happened in New Hampshire by the estimation of many. I'm not lambasting an age group though as much as I'm dissappointed with attitudes like hers.

I'm just pointing out a problem Obama needs to overcome in addressing the tendency (could happen with anyone taking part in the political process for the first time). You read her explanation and its completely reasonable, but not respectable. --That sometimes, believing in something and getting things done means being unreasonable, inconvenient, or even radical.

For someone to go out of their way todo a whole song, music video and get a huge amount of national attention for it... just to simply NOT VOTE is a dark mark. The whole campaign right now is about "voting"... not simply "feeling". It's something extremely easy to slip into.

~ CB

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

granted, she should have voted in the primary.

but I didnt.

im independent, so I cant.

:cool:

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

There is a slight bias against the younger crowd, in particular college age and shortly after, where the kids are away from home and somewhat transient as they figure out where they want to settle into for a career. Yes there are absentee ballots, but you'd think in this day and age we could have a system that would allow remote voting for at least the presidential elections.

This problem will be more of an issue in the primaries than the general election. It's hard to believe that any of Hillary's "clockwork" voters will vote republican so if Obama gets the nomination they'll most likely vote for him in the general. Getting the young to vote is a big problem and I'm not sure what the answer is, although making election day a national holiday might help with voter turnout all around.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There are voters and there are groupies.

This girl always impressed me as more of a groupie.

7. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm independant too. Yes we can. ;)
    But... I suppose it depends on your state and the party you wish to cast a vote for. :) In general though, its Republicans that don't want to hazard non-GOP registered voters. The Democrats are mostly ok with it.

~ CB

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've never understood why it matters. I've mostly voted Democrat in my life just because my beliefs fall more inline with their "stated" party platform. But what's to prevent me, and many other similarly minded people from becoming GOP members and voting in the primaries to try to push their least likable candidate to the forfront? How do they know I'm GOP faithful? Do you have to spend hours in a booth listening to the Oxy-moron without your head exploding? Why does registering mean anything?

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Yeah... its funny. But, I think registering actually helps the party promote itself. As the "independant" or "unaffiliated" group grows, it starts generating undesireable "uncertainty" as far as the Republicans are concerned. With things moving in the Democratic direction, suddenly it becomes a disturbing signal that they do not know what their strength level is. I think its a disincentive. A minor technicality that can cause just enough confusion to dissuade casual interest from "mischief voters". --Then, if that's not enough, disenfranchisement too.

http://www.digg.com/2008_us_elections/Video_proof_of_California_Election_fraud

~ CB