Obama - "I made a mistake".

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Worked for me just now using Safari...

3. toontra macrumors 6502

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Are you kidding me. Go watch Fox News or something like that. good grief... :mad:

5. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If the Youtube link I just put in my first post don't work... I got nothing for ya! :p

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Perhaps, but it is a bit early for him to be admitting to mistakes like this when he has only been in office for a few weeks. Hopefully it won't become chronic.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It wouldn't matter on this forum. :rolleyes:

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wha wah WHAT??? And here I thought that if a president did it, it wasn't a mistake... :p

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You're thinking of illegal.

Or sex.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The link was dodgy for me (using Safari). Clicking Play several times resulted in (1) nothing, (2) "undefined", (3) the correct video. Problem seems to be on CNN's end.

And boy, is it refreshing to hear a President who's not full of himself, who says "I screwed up." Every guy in the Oval Office should be that candid.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd rather have someone in the office who can admit and learn from their mistakes than someone who thinks that every idea they have is correct and surrounds himself with "yes-men."

Humans make mistakes, and usually we learn from them and do things better in the future. I've made both minor and expensive mistakes at my job over the past 8.5 years and I've learned from everyone and become much better at what I do because of them.

This will not be the last or least expensive mistake Obama makes, but if he can admit that he's indeed not perfect and correct his mistakes we'll be doing well, and it will be a welcome change over the last 16 years.

13. iAthena macrumors regular

It would be even more refreshing to see a president that doesn't drop the ball on something so simple to check out. I thought he would have spent his mulligans on something a bit more complex than simple background checks on some job prospects.

This boy wonder "shucks, my bad" response to everything that goes wrong is going to get old fast.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The last president dropped the ball on this, the president before him dropped the ball on this, the president before him dropped the ball on this. Theyre are tens of thousands of appointments a president makes and back ground checks are not perfect.

In some cases I'm sure Obama was well aware of the back ground problems and he made his choice any way beliving his selections to be good. Then when the (realitively small) scandals and problems with his selections became a problem that he maybe did not forsee he admits that he was in error.

I'll take the "shucks my bad" response any day to a president who makes mistakes but refuses to correct them because he just cant belive he was in error.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me too. Any day.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How simple is this really to check out? If you ask someone "have you paid all your taxes?" and they say "yes", short of going through all the financial records they're willing to provide you (and even then, if they're willing to hide records that would indicate a problem, what do you do?), it would take a major investigation to uncover any wrongdoing. Remember, Obama isn't allowed to use the IRS for partisan vetting purposes.

I'll take dropping the ball on the small things over doing the same on the big things, and admitting your errors over denying that you ever make any.

Now, if making constant mistakes becomes a habit, sure... we've got a problem. But there hasn't been an administration in history that hasn't been tripped up at this point by the massive proposition of vetting and hiring all these people without a few missteps. This is certainly not out of the ordinary for an administration at this stage.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Lemme see...guy who says, "I take responsibility for it" (Obama) vs. guy who parses and weasels (Clinton), or guy who screws up really big and can't admit it (Bush). Yup, I'll take Obama every time.

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I don't think Obama made a mistake at all. Like you said it's impossible for him to know that daschle hid the fact that he didn't pay taxes then lied about it.

How is this Obama's fault ?

19. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Obama is the savior, he knows everything! :)

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Great line but it didn't answer my question.;)