Obama: I'm not interested in second place

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting. Sounds like Barack Obama has removed himself from consideration for VP, should it come to that:

CNN

I'm not sure I believe it. He wants to sound like he's in it to win, of course. But if push came to shove, don't you think he'd do what was best for the party, if they asked him?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

isn't it S.O.P. for every presidential candidate to say that at some point?

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Yes, if one is thinking of positioning oneself for the V.P job, the last thing you want to do is admit it. Not that I think Obama is thinking he can't win and wouldn't it be nice to be Clinton's VP, but it just means very little about who will or won't be on the ticket for any candidate to say what he said.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope he'd do whats best for the country.

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I'll second that notion :)

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Assuming that Exxon doesn't bribe him first.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Kinda would reflect on his character, wouldn't it? (At least to his constituency)

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah but everyone gets bribed by oil companies even that D. Feinstein too.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Which at this point means beating whatever nominee the Republicans come up with. All of them look to be a slight variation on Dubya v2.0. We can't stand much more of this mess.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We can't stand this much of it. Anyone who's elected is going to be faced with the monumental task of cleaning up W's mess. Whoever that is had better be well-liked by the American public. They're going to have to plead for a lot of patience.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Not really, the elections will be fixed again by the oil companies and woot, we will have a fembot version of Dubya 2.3 upgrade in office.

So which is worse: Vista or the executive branch?

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Juliani isn't a cookie cutter of Bush though.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The mayor will never make it past the primaries, though, because he believes in rights for gays and women.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

On Iraq he is.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He claims to want independence from oil. Heard that before. I'll believe it when I see it.

Nice guy. Got a lot of ideas. But like Edwards, no details on how to accomplish any of it. So we're stuck with life long politicians like Hil and McCain, or green people who are probably way out of their leagues like Edwards or Obama. Maybe as VP if either of them do take it if offered. Or if they surround themselves with smart people who aren't just corrupt, greedy, cronies if they get the nominee.

I wonder if we aren't too racist and misogynistic to allow Hil or Obama as even VP though.

He would make just as bad of a President though. Same tactics, same type of screw ups. Questionable ethics, civil rights violations, cronyism. If you need them, I can give you links as to why firefighters, policeman, civil rights activists, and a whole bunch of other people don't like him. Perhaps I can just mention Bernard Kerrick.

That is to say if the conservatives even nominate him. The moderates might not look past the image if his opponent doesn't push it. They might just not like his opponent.

But believe me, it will be 4 more years of the same.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Giuliani was hardly a popular mayor of New York City, until after 9/11, and then only briefly. The fact that he's managed to parlay his 15 minutes of fame into a presidential bid which is taken even slightly seriously is a testament more to the power of 9/11, and confusion within the Republican ranks, than to Rudy Giuliani, a candidate with a great many personal and political flaws. With all the questions being raised about Obama's lack of experience, I wonder why the same is not happening yet with Giuliani. A certain amount of desperation within the GOP, I presume.