Obama in bed with Big Business?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Aug 13, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'm not one to post stories from the Huffington Post, but hey... every dog has his day.

In related news... http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ervatives-arent-corporate-pawns-42379362.html

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I imagine we will see more and more of this type of thing as it unravels. Anything to get people on board.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hold on, wasn't our last vice-president the former head of this small business called Halliburton?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's bad. I predict this proposal will now go down in flames. It's going to have to be completely redone. When you try to please everyone, you please no one.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How pathetic. It takes this kind of back-door dealing just to keep the pharma industry from assailing the health care bill with millions of dollars of negative advertising? No, it doesn't look good for Obama, but it looks even worse for pharma. It confirms the industry is much, much too big for our own good.

This would be one case where I'd be in favor of the President going back on his word, i.e., telling the pharma industry what they want to hear and then going and doing what he wants anyway.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I seem to remember people being up in arms about that. Either way this isn't really related unless Obama has a stake in the pharm industry, but it still looks bad that they are basically trying to buy them off.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Isn't paying off someone to stay away from your turf the sort of thing you usually see in, say, the Mafia?

"Youse got a nice little health care bill here, Mr. Obama. Be a shame if something were to happen to it. Isn't that right, Vinnie?"
    "Yeah, yeah. Right, boss."

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is how politics works behind the scenes all the time. Got enough money to run ads and sway the public? You can get a piece of the pie.

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I agree with you, but most people (incl Fox News) will not see that.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It still smells rotten.

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It smells rotten, but I think its crafty. I'm in favor of taking things in stages and building support bit-by-bit. So, for instance if we start off with simply reducing drug-costs, making insurance affordable/portable, not discriminate for pre-existing conditions, focus on advancing technology, and add in a public option... I think we're getting somewhere. Adding price-controls afterwards as part of additional changes I think would be the way to go. We don't even have to imagine the type of opposition health reform has to go up against. The unabashed ignorance is truly astounding without Big Pharma launching multi-million dollar ad campaigns to defeat the whole she-bang. I'm more irritated that end-of-life care compensation is losing support for the dumbest of reasons. Fear is such a resonating factor in all of this. Once confronted with the actual experience, people get used to it, and proponents can make a stronger case against fear-mongering the next step.

That's my theory anyway. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I was listening to the outrage over the White House barring the Pentagon form using phrases like "war on terror" and calling 9/11 a "terror attack" (opting instead for a man-made disaster). I'm left thinking that its smart for the White House to stop giving these terrorists the kind of branding power they want, and making a strong case for asserting our own values and reason to our problems.

I just don't think the most likely course for success is a straight line or a game of connect-the-dots with only two dots. I think that was Deval Patrick's big mistake (and I mean BIG mistake).

~ CB

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The sins of the father absolve those of the son?

OT: can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can not say I am surprised. Our politation at the top are pretty corrupted. They will not really give a damn about you unless you are on their campaign financing list and even then you have to give quite a bit for them to listen to you.
    This bring in yet again more proof we need massive campaign finance reform

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You are an optimist. The more this gets watered down, the less attractive it will be to anybody. If we want to import cheaper drugs from Canada, we should be able to. What happened to "competition" and the "free market"? Let's see what the drug companies do when they actually have to compete. That's the problem with insurance companies, drug companies and our healthcare system in general. They never have to compete.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am all for open drug trade over the borders (or anywhere for that matter as long as they meet regulations). Same with health insurance, I wouldn't even care if some foreign private entity wanted to insure Americans if they thought they could do it at a lower cost.

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Agree 100%

I can also see the pharm companies talking out of both sides of their mouths... Agreeing to this plan on one side while pushing for its failure from the other...

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts or because they care whether people live or die. And they definitely don't want this to pass.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

so is every politician

that is one of the biggest flaws in this country

19. Shivetya macrumors 65816

What can you say when he took in 62% of all political donations from this group? (he = him and his party - early 2008 he was leading the pack in accepting donations from those in this industry). Don't blame him too much, the industry knows who is in power and moves its donations appropriately.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

(Can't believe I missed this). I think this is the biggest takeaway from what's happening. However, I can't curb my disappointment at Obama and the Democrats.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You have a source for that figure? I have one that disagrees with you.

22. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Yeah, I got fairly angry when I saw this.

Although I think this proves that the Huffington post is not just a liberal version of Fox News. They report everything with a liberal spin, but they will still report stories that are critical of Democrats and other liberals.

23. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

What the hell are they (is he) thinking, the guy has the political clout, combined with a basically willing congress and senate and he goes to the drug companies and makes some half assed compromise. :confused:

I want a president with a spine please. :mad:

edit: Any pettions up and running yet to remind Obama who elected him and why?

24. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

There's a reason why I'm liberal yet not a democrat. IMO they seem to get too little done in a period of time. Plus they mess up on things that shouldn't be messed up on.

Yes. As one of my friends would say "it's what separates us from the animals" but that's someone else's opinion.;)