Obama Inauguration compared to the Haj by CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dmac77, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Can you believe this? If this isn't proof that CNN is biased, and won't provide fair coverage of Obama's presidency, I don't know what is.

Don

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

ok. Don't know where you come off saying they are biased and won't provide fair coverage of the presidency. Since the video you linked was just showing an example of what the Hajj do is kind of similar to the inauguration. And for being 14 you sure are highly opinionated in world politics. My 14 year won't even give politics the time of day. They had the school watch the speech and he said it was boring. I think they were talking inauguration in general as well.

Not digging on your age, just find it kind of odd.

3. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You seriously don't see the relation between comparing a religious event to and inauguration as a bias in the favor of Obama. Why doesn't CNN just openly say that they think that Obama is the second coming? That's basically what they did. On MSNBC, Tom Brokaw said he almost cried on the way to the inauguration. These two news outlets are so biased in favor of Obama. They won't criticize Obama at al during his presidency, because to the "reporters" on those two networks, the man is a God. My point being is that people (especially the media) are so crazed about Obama that they will never see fault in him.

Is there a problem with a 14 year old being interested in politics? Certainly it's better then being like most young people who voted for Obama, because it was the cool thing to do.

Don

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is why they ran stories about obamas pastor, his finances, a college professor he knew, not being american, being muslim......

The media is biased to whatever story is going get the most attention, not to one party or the other. To think otherwise is just plain ignorant.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, sounds like at 14 you have your mind made up and what I say will not get through to you. But I will give it a shot. :) This inauguration was bigger than the man that took the oath. The fact that in less than 60 years since the civil rights movement a black person is president is a huge event especially to those that lived in that era like Brokaw. So to get emotional over this is something that is expected for a lot of people. From what I saw in the video it was more about how people make a "pilgrimage" to these respectfully important events. It was also showing how similar the security measures are when they get that many people into one place.

I didn't see or hear what you did, so I am not going to argue with you. And like I said, arguing would be futile since at 14 you have made your mind up over politics.

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Not nearly as much as Fox News did.
    To compare people going to see a inauguration to a religious pilgramige is really convuluted. If people are making a pilgramige to see Obama, they have some issues, because theat means that they believe that Obama is some messiah-like being. Which is totally untrue, and stupid to think.

It's great that we have a black president, but people shouldn't cry over it. His skin color shouldn't matter, it won't affect the way he runs his administration (it shouldn't). People should treat like they would treat any other president. People are going nuts over the fact that he is black, and they shouldn't. They should view him just like they would any other president.

Don

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well, I just put this in another thread that you responded in. You are not 14, you can say what you want about "yes I am" but you are lying IMO. No 14 year old that I have ever had contact with talks like you do or has the knowledge of past events like you especially when those events took place before you were born ie: the bombing of the WTC which you had an opinion about. You can keep going on saying you are 14 but I don't buy it for one second.

You just don't get the significance of this event. And I am not going to explain it again about how yesterday was one of the most important days in American history...

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Read my post in the other thread. I don't understand why people have trouble realizing that some teens have a brain. Just because I don't act like your son doesn't mean that I'm not a teen.

Don

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think you're reading too much into this to be honest.

You have to remember that Obama's inauguration represents something far beyond him, beyond our nation, and even beyond our current time. For the first time in what is likely over 2,500 years, a person who is not exclusively of European descent will be considered the leader of the free world. That is extraordinary.

Obama is also of a mixed racial heritage, something that is very, very unusual for anyone in high office. His Presidency marks several key changes not only for American society, but for the communal society that is the human race.

Maybe you're too young to understand it now, but Obama's inauguration represents to many what was once considered an unshatterable ceiling.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Tell that to those growing up in the 50's and 60's it doesnt matter. You have to take into consideration that this is amazingly groundbreaking.

And the underlined does show your age. Your view on something does not make it fact. Did you even consider that people showed up because we as a country are jubilent that we will finally be moving in a new direction? Or that we as humans like to be part of things, and being a part of this moment in history is reason enough to travel to the inauguration. Crowds are almost always huge for them, and when we are happy about the outcome of the election more people tend to turn out.

11. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Let me dig up some stuff I wrote when I was 14, it's pretty obvious that people can actually be intelligent for a change. Why can't people believe that?

I have to agree with the OP on this, while Obama is hopefully going to be a good president, comparing the inauguration to a milestone religious event for followers, is, as the OP said, convoluted and possibly offensive to the followers of the religion.

12. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Believe me, I know about discrimination. My grandparents were discriminated against when they first came to America in the 50's because they fled from Communist states. THey were both dragged into FBI offices and questioned for 24 hours straight when they first arrived, so don't tell me that I don't understand discrimination.

It shouldn't matter that he's black. He's just another president. I could care less that he's black. I just want the man to do his job, and I don't want his race to come in the way of hi doing his job.

Don

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, having discrimination happen to your grandparents does not mean you understand it.

moving on, To the second paragraph I suggest you look up idealism in teenagers, itll be a good read. Every indication has shown that his race doesnt effect a damn thing in him doing his job. People just like to talk about it like it will for some reason, the man is obviously a professional though.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

That's great that you understand racism. Most people don't. And it is equally fantastic that you are color blind. But you are not getting the significance of yesterday, or you just truly don't care. I don't care if he's black, white, yellow, green or whatever else, I want him to do his job as well. The fact that for such a young country that is America and less than 60 years from the civil rights movement we are able to elect a black person to be president is amazing. No one expected to see this happen, I thought I would see a woman president before I ever saw a black president.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post.

dmac77 is either too young or too biased. Obama's inauguration was a major historical event for a country riven by slavery. The crowds alone prove that.

Don, you really need to look at the bigger picture.

16. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The first president of post-apartheid South Africa was black. IMO yesterday was not a significant day. He's just another president, that just happens to be black. People are acting like its God's will that a black man became president. We all knew that it would eventually happen, it just happened to occur in 2008. Stop making a huge deal over it and let him do his job, instead of acting like the man suddenly ended racism.

Don

Ugg- It wasn't nearly as big of a deal when Nelson Mandela became president of South Africa. And South Africa had a much more violent and oppressive racist regime then the U.S. ever had. Why are people acting like this was the first black person to ever hold power? It just makes no sense to me.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

LOL youre really not getting it. Its not a big deal to you because race has never been a big issue in our time. Also, no ones keeping him from doing his job, so your "Stop making a huge deal over it and let him do his job, instead of acting like the man suddenly ended racism." comments are just nonsense.

No racism is not dead, but this is HUGE for the long stalled civil rights movement. Hopefully itll kickstart again and we can focus on current issues, like gay rights.

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

We are not talking about Africa for god sakes. We are talking about America.... And it was a huge deal when Mandela became president are you kidding me?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry that made me laugh

so you know about discrimination because your grandparents experienced it in the 50's....a good 40 or so years before you were born. give me a break

its like me saying "believe me, I know what it means to have a man die in my arms and fight in Vietnam because my grandpa did".....

you know how ridiculous that sounds?:cool:

20. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

In his defense, his grandparents could have talked extensively to him about what they went through. Giving him a clear picture of what racism was to them. So I don't dismiss the fact that he understands racism. On the other living through it is a different understanding on the subject.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Second hand retellings will NEVER hold anything compared to living through something. I could be told the rest of my life the horrors of war, but its NOTHING like experiencing it.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

in that case, i know about it too, yet i have never felt its effects in my life.

quite the big difference

i also know about the Holocaust yet there is no way I can ever truly comprehend the horror those people had to go through. the way he wrote that post , he implied he fully understands it soley because his grandparents did

23. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I know. Believe me, I do understand racism. Being jewish and growing up in a Mormon neighborhood was not terribly enjoyable. Ya, Mormons, not as wholesome and accepting as they make themselves out to be. But that's a religious topic not politics. :D

EDIT** I am sorry, I didn't mean to defend him, far from it... Just meant that hearing first hand from people who lived through it can give some prospective, but I did say On the other living through it is a different understanding on the subject.

24. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I've had to deal with it sense I was little. I remember one time I was at a store with my Grandma, and a black woman came up to us while we were in line and she said that she was entitled to be in-front of us because "your European ancestors enslaved my ancestors.", A man once called me and my Grandpa "Nazis" because my Grandpa has a thick bavarian accent, and I was a "Nazi" by default because I was with my Grandpa. DOn't tell me that I my comments are convoluted without knowing where I'm coming from. Even if I wasn't around to experience what my Grandparents went through when they first came here, I still experience it with them today. Have you ever dealt with other kids that say that you're family is stupid because some of them have an accent? Don't assume things.

Don

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Name calling? Seriously? Youve experienced name calling like every other highschooler.

THATS not discrimination, not on the scale of what we are discussing.