Obama is destroying America! (Or unemployment down to 7.7%)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mcrain, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

More people employed, more people paying taxes, smaller deficits...
    It is interesting to note that in this latest jobs report, that the shrinking government employment (yes, it is shrinking under a democrat), is a drag on our economy.

----------

I could have titled this thread, "I told you so," but didn't want to get put in time out yet again.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Don't waste your time. Obama could cure AIDS, cancer and global climate change (which doesn't exist) but the Fox News lovers will still call him the worst president ever and at the same time gear up for another Bush presidency.

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

You nearly had me there with the title of this thread. :p

Despite the positive outlook, we as a nation would be faring much better if Republicans weren't being the obstructionists as they are in attempting to fulfill the title of this thread.

Furthermore, the CONservatives in this forum will be coming out swinging today and will find something else to blame on Obama. And by the way, I am in no way defending Obama as I have been very critical of him on and off this forum.

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Obama, and the all the other Democrats, are GOP lite. Where are the social liberals? Where are the people who are truly fighting for liberal values? They sure as hell aren't in the Obama administration.

(edit) It is incredibly sad that there has to be a mobilization of people to encourage a "liberal" party to fight for equality for the LGBT community.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I think a better title of this would be "Americans begin to overcome their own albatross goverment". An increase in jobs and the President/Congress doing their jobs are not chicken and egg factors. This Congress seems to find new ways to epitomize the term "do-nothing Congress" and the President is completely powerless to get the ball rolling whatsoever.

Anything positive that happens at this point is by our own doing....not the work of some politician.

----------

At this point the best one you have is the junior senator from Kentucky :)

6. mcrain, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Great title! Perhaps you can find the links to support those claims.

(edit)

It should be easy to find a comparison of the accomplishments of the prior administration so that we can compare them to the accomplishments of the current administration.

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yeah no kidding. The Democratic Party is where all the sane Republicans went after the Libertarians and neo-cons took over the GOP. Hence why modern Democrats are in fact moderates.

They're in the progressive caucus. People like Bernie Sanders (Independent) and Elizabeth Warren. We need more of these people and it's too bad they don't get the recognition they deserve from their own party.

----------

If you haven't noticed, there has been an uptick regarding the LGBT community in politics lately so I don't think the community and its allies has any problems fighting their battles. Also keep in mind that money talks in Washington. The LGBT donated a lot to Democrats so there's definitely action on that front.

There was a mobilization over a year ago in October 2011, it was called Occupy. The problem that Occupy had was it was leaderless and directionless but many people had enough commonalities and banded together. What we need is another Occupy movement but with a clear direction and leaders so it doesn't fall apart like it did last time.

----------

Only with 1 issue which he actually stood up for the other day and I commend him for that. I whole heartedly disagree with everything he and the rest of his party stand for.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Wouldn't you rather compare the current guy to a President that actually accomplished something of substance?

My main problem with this President is that he is too much of a politician. Maybe he can't turn it off....I don't know. But the tone and rhetoric of a lot of his speeches help perpetuate the us vs them mentality that exists in this country. It's campaign type speech that fires up his base, but completely pushes away the other side and leave moderates just hanging out in the middle.

We are facing some hard times right now and we need a strong leader that can give a clear vision and bring people on two sides of an issue together. We need a leader and instead....we got a politician.

9. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have noticed. That was kind of my point. It shouldnt' have taken massive amounts of donations, a community standing up for itself, or an occupy movement for a group of elected officials to uphold the Constitution so that everyone had equal rights.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'll agree with you that we do need a stronger leader in the executive branch but also keep in mind, as you pointed out earlier, that half of Congress refuses to play ball at all costs. If Obama actually stood up to these guys I think we would actually get something accomplished but you and I of course know that will never happen.

11. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Who was the last president to actually accomplish health care reform? Compare that to the list of prior presidents that campaigned on health care reform.

Who was the last president to actually reduce or cut in any way entitlement spending? Compare that to the list of prior presidents and candidates who fought for, or against, entitlement reform.

When was the last time we had a shrinking deficit?

When was the last time we had shrinking dependence on foreign oil? Compare that to the decades of presidents and candidates who campaigned on that issue.

Who was the last president to dramatically increase fuel efficiency standards?

Who was the last president to enact real, substantive wall street reform?

Who was the last president to eliminate a discriminatory military/government policy?

When was the last time women were able to fight for their country?

I could go on, and on, and on. This guy isn't just our first African American president, he also happens to have a list of accomplishments that is in all objective senses amazing. You can disagree with him all you want, but you can't deny he was able to do things that are incredible, especially considering the questionable opposition that had never assisted in anything substantive on behalf of our country.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really wish this country would have a hard talk about what we consider employment....

13. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

If you are about to go on a rant about the different types of unemployment, save your breath. The only thing that matters is whether the same type of unemployment is impoving or not. There are statistics for the type of unemployment you are about to suggest is more accurate, and those are improving too. Feel free to post a link to how the "other" unemployment is getting worse despite the consistently used metric is improving.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

1.) Action for the sake of action is not the hallmark of good policy. The ACA greatly increased the size and reach of our federal government, which is hardly ever a good idea and has done so to the end of what exactly?

2.) When did we cut entitlement spending?

3.) Lowering the dependence on foreign oil is great. But doing so in a way that hammers everyone at home to $4 a gallon is surely not the best way to get there.

But none of that is neither here nor there. I never said the President hasn't accomplished anything. He's done some good for sure....but to what end? His policies and "leadership" has done nothing but taken a divided country and driven the wedge even further.

That said....this isn't all on him. Congressional Republicans are just as guilty of this as anyone. Unfortunately though....it's on the President to extend the olive branch and he's going to have to dramatically change his tone in order to make that happen. Neither side trusts each other at this point and its exactly why nothing is getting done.

15. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

1 and 2.

Emphasis added.

So, we have the GOP candidate for president acknowledging 700 billion in entitlement cuts/savings, and an article pointing out exactly what all the studies have shown, namely that the ACA will cut costs associated with healthcare. Thus, saving money. So, that's 1 and 2.

3. Who sets the $4.00 per gallon price, and does that include any of the government costs related to providing that gas? I have seen studies that show the true cost of fuel is much, much higher, but that cost is not passed on to the oil companies. Perhaps if people were forced to pay for all the costs associated with fuel, they would be more willing to invest in alternative fuel sources. Perhaps the billions in subsidies, and the trillions spent on the military over the years, should have been paid for in fuel taxes?

Finally, do you think the President is driving a wedge, or is it possible that the party who refuses to ever work with him is the bigger problem?

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

How's cutting payments to providers going to magically lower costs? If anything its going to push some docs to just stop taking Medicaid patients.

I think both parties are equally guilty of this.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Hypothesis 1:

QED

For once I agree with you (mostly). Things are improving because of what people out here, outside the beltway, are doing with their time.

Nevertheless, a President has a lot of power to do good, or, harm:

http://theweek.com/article/index/240872/why-the-gop-must-come-to-terms-with-george-w-bushs-disastrous-presidency

Comparing recent presidencies, I think President Obama has done pretty well:

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Pretty sure his comment was heading towards college grads working McDonalds jobs.

The government can't agree on what sandwich to eat for dinner, but somehow magically propelled unemployment down. I'd love to see some underemployment and disgruntled stats though. After not working a few years a job at mcdonalds or WalMart probably seems pretty good.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a commodity item. Ideally energy and fuel costs would be somewhat stable overall. Fluctuation and uncertainty create more problems there than stable pricing, even if it is considered high. $4 is considered high today in much of the country. It doesn't mean it couldn't go to $10 a few years from now. In the very early 2000s it was around $1.30 in California.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

There would be a definite literary irony in such a title: the albatross was a herald of good luck, and it was only after the Ancient Mariner killed it that his luck turned bad.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Last I checked Warren was from Massachusetts.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And she's the senior Senator from Massachusetts.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes. To be honest, you had me fooled with your thread title. In fact, I was all set to politely respond with the suggestion that if you wanted a serious, or objective, debate, that maybe it could be rephrased, rhetorically, to 'Obama is damaging America', as I thought that the use of the verb 'destroying' is so typical of the sort of verbal zero sum game played, especially by the conservatives (i.e. Republican hard-liners)........

but then, when I started to read the thread, I saw what you intended to do....

Very well expressed.

And you nearly had me, too.....

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm talking about underemployment, which is rampant. Earning a paycheck doesn't mean jack **** if you can't make ends meet.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Quite so, I know I probably won't be able to afford to take Medicaid patients when I get into practice, not with the millstone of 7-8% interest rate federal student loans around my neck. Obama's tenure has seen education become more expensive, and loans to pay for it more costly.

I'll probably be in the neighborhood of $0.5 million in debt by the time I'm done. And now he wants to cut any re-imbursment I may get and try to raise my income taxes?

Makes a lot of sense if you ask me!