Obama knows how to deliver a speech.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by swiftaw, Feb 24, 2009.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Whether you agree with the content or not, you can't deny that the guy is one heck of a public speaker.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

'Cause nobody messes with Joe!

Gotta admit, that one was funny!

BL.

3. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, that one was good.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Darn right he does, Great speech. Said so many thing we should have been doing for years. Made Bush look like the donkeys butt he was without even saying it. Its clear our nation has been neglected by these elites and by both partys for to long.

Now what to do about the paid off prostitutes we call Congress? Thats 95% of the problem now that BushCo is gone.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Obama can give a good speech. Let's see what really happens now. I'm guessing that congress will go back to the way they normally operate.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I thought it was a very good speech. I hope that he can accomplish what he is asking for. And that congress and all the politicians can understand that this is for the people of this country and they need to do what's right for us...

7. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

[​IMG]

"Eh? Eh?"

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree, great speech.

I admit to having dual feelings about it, though. Part of me admired the honesty and straightforwardness of it, the lofty goals and the lack of BS. Another part of me said that there are gonna be two pitfalls standing in his way: the fact that all of this is going to be so much harder to accomplish in a bad economy; and the fact that Congress may deny him so much of what he seeks. (OTOH, the latter concern may become moot if we add another Democratic senator or two in 2010.)

As an aside, I was surprised to hear George Will, who comes across as a much more reasonable person on This Week, sounding like a cranky "you-kids-get-outta-my-yard" old man tonight on ABC's coverage. He was kinda ripping into Obama pretty bad.

9. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I realize I'm living under a rock, but can someone eventually provide a link to a video or transcript of which particular speech you're referring to? :confused:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He gave an address to the nation starting at 9 pm (Eastern) tonight. I'm sure all of the major news sources have a feed up.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Love him or not, at least the President does know how to speak clearly and not drone on and on. That was one of the big downsides of President Clinton--his speeches made me want to nod off at times (people have said Clinton likes the sound of his own voice just a bit too much).

12. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

See, I disagree - in fact I'd say that Bill Clinton is one of the few politicians that can come close to Obama's speechgiving skills.

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Must be the Southern accent of Clinton's--in my case it gets a bit hard to stand after a while. President Obama's style is more akin to a good minister--clear and commanding, which means you're not going to feel like nodding off after about 20 minutes of the speech.

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

people say we gotta quit spending money and all but the only way to make money is to spend it even if we dont do any of this we will get in a biger hole so no mater what we gotta spend some money and please if you wanna post like that please explain instead of making a short point like that.:rolleyes:

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I don't believe the solution to economic imbalances is massive government spending. Making money is better left to the private sector.

As far as your request for more meat to my post, look at some of those above--very little detail as to why they liked the speech (other than style).

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My only problem with his speeches is that he is always looking left and right to read the prompter. I wish he would look straight ahead more often.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And its working out swimmingly dont you think?:rolleyes:

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Compared to Bush, I think you should count your blessings.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you watch his eyes, most of the times he looked around was to actually scan the audience, part of good speech presenting 101.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sorry don't think the government should have as big a hand in our lives as what is being presented. If a company can't make it let it fail. :)

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And let the millions of americans suffer because of free market principles, woo hoo!

23. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Basically, yes. The problems we are facing now are largely financial in nature due to poor lending practices by banks, pressure to provide mortgages to borrowers with poor credit histories and resultant foreclosures, and other such factors. I think that research, manufacturing, marketing, and other processes that have to be done well to make money and turn a profit tend to be done better by the private sector using non-government employees.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The subject of this thread IS "Obama Knows how to deliver a speech". Style would be a big factor is the giving of a speech.

As far as making money being better left to the private sector. That has been going on for the past 8 years and most people have seen where that got us.

25. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Yep, overwhelming greed by the financial institutions and speculators is what got us into this mess, not by this bizarre "kill the poor" talking point that the government forced banks to give loans to minorities in bad neighborhoods.

With confidence in the workings of the market shattered and the credit market constricted to the size of a pinhole, who else but the federal government has the resources to get things moving again? If 90% of the jobs created by the stimulus package will be in the private sector as Obama claims, then I fail to see how the government is attempting to take over all innovation from private business.

And poor Bobby Jindal. What a sad note he struck in the Republicans' rebuttal speech, which was awkwardly delivered and seemed to have most of its salient points pre-rebutted by Obama's speech just before. After getting skewered on The Daily Show the night before for making a big show about turning down federal stimulus money for his state when he in fact accepted the vast majority of what was offered to him, well, it's just not his week. In fact, a pundit quipped that the only person in the country who could've liked his speech tonight was Sarah Palin. :D