Obama leads Clinton in CA polls

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yojitani, May 30, 2008.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I thought this was pretty interesting. Clinton won there pretty convincingly but she now trails Obama by 13%.

http://origin.mercurynews.com/localnewsheadlines/ci_9424932

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Doesn't matter. Didn't you know that if you lose the primary in a state that it has to go to the other party in November? So if Obama wins the nomination NY, CA, and MA have to vote GOP this fall...

3. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the really good part is that they both crush mccain.
    i'm starting to believe that he might pull it off in november

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That can't be right. The Clinton campaign has been adamant that his losing the primaries in NY and CA shows that Obama can't win the big states, and that anyone who voted for Clinton will automagically vote for McCain in November if Obama gets the nomination. I mean when your candidate loses the nomination, you are obligated to vote for the other party, right? At least we gained all of Romney's and Huckabee's states back from the GOP.

Well there's still plenty of time for the Clintons to try and trash Obama before the convention, and always the expected Bin Laden tape at the end of October where he threatens the US and people think that the GOP, despite their inability to capture/kill him in the past 7 years, are better equipped to handle this new post-9/11 world...

Don't get me wrong, I'm very optimistic about this year, but I was optimistic in 2004 as well...

I'm trying to brace myself so that I don't have to go into therapy on November 5th.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

This poll doesn't surprise me at all, and actually gives me a sense of hope.

As a Californian, I voted for Clinton because of two factors:

1) Between two minorities, I decided that the cause of women was more important from a historical perspective (proportionately women are still worse off in political representation than the black community is, and the discrepancy between women's wages and men's wages is greater than the discrepancy between African-American wages and white wages; plus there's the whole "you belong to your father/husband" thing that permeates a great deal of world culture to this day). Albeit not a great reason to vote for someone, but I decided that some personal affirmative action was ok. :p

and

2) I imagined that Obama's appeal would be too party-elite based and he would run into the same trouble that Kennedy did during his run for the nomination and Presidency.

Even with these factors, however, my vote for Clinton was only half-hearted; had California's primary been after some of the more convincing contests (and after Obama's surge in delegates), I would have most certainly voted for him as Factor #2 would have been addressed, and as a voter, I would have partially voted based on my desire to end the primaries early.

After some time however, I have begun to seriously reconsider my vote. It seems that after February 5th, Clinton has made one mistake after another, and has shown her true colors; colors that would have had me change my vote in a heartbeat had they been known to me before Super Tuesday.

Meanwhile, it seems that the worst gaffe that Obama can get himself into is mixing up the number of states and not being able to control his former pastor. Seeing as how I (and no one should) don't consider these to be major problems, it's hard to not support Obama.

I realize that this is somewhat tangential, but as this primary has continued, I've become more and more frustrated with the Clinton campaign. This is not the campaign that was run in '92 or '96, and if this is how the Clintons plan to do business now, then I say no thanks.

The electorate has quite clearly spoken. Obama's delegate and popular vote lead is now insurmountable, and yet Clinton continues to press on. And why exactly? For some petty personal reason? Because she's banking on assassination? I'm sorry, but that's not what makes a good leader. A leader makes those decisions which are best for those whom they lead, not for the leader him/herself.

So in summary, I think this poll just quantifies how many Californians (myself included) have felt about the Clinton campaign after February 5th. At least it shows that Californians are willing to change their minds for the better; more than I can say for some that are still running in this primary.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't vote for either of them, but I guess, yeah, I support him now. I'm still of the "not voting for McCain" variety, but I've been listening to more and more of his speeches, and he's slowly winning me over. Still not 100%, still have lots of questions and even a few things I don't like, but he's inevitable, so I'm getting used to it. All he has to do is not screw up too bad, and I'll be happy, but why do I get the feeling those same people who gave Bush a pass on almost everything will be going over everything Obama does with a fine tooth comb.

Wondering where our resident Hillary defender is to say this is either somehow untrue or doesn't matter.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think they'd go over any of the things either will do with a fine tooth comb, but all either has to do is pick a decent VP committed to openness and honesty.

Then work with both parties in selecting decent people for key jobs.

In other words, they move to Disney World and live in Fantasyland.