Obama Making Millions More Americans Eligible for Overtime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 30, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/30/b...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

good move, wonder how they will regulate our boys & girls in the military, God knows the pay there sucks along with the working hours.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The US Armed forces, and its personnel both enlisted and commissioned are completely exempted from pretty much every aspect of State and Federal employment law; including oversight by OSHA.

So, in very brief terms: The US Army has never paid overtime in the past; and it won't pay overtime in the future.

Lastly, while the theoretical hourly pay of many junior enlisted troops in the US military is low; when you factor in other parts of their overall compensation, such as retirement pay; housing, education, and other allowances - its actually a pretty good "total compensation" package.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

OSHA would consider bullets whizzing around the work area a safety hazard. It would be neigh impossible to field a ground force under OSHA supervision.:D

4. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Ok so more part time workers now lol

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, businesses are going to take their $50K a year employees and split up the jobs for part-timers. :rolleyes:

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Not the best ones obviously, but the ones who are just satisfactory when it comes to performance review time.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

America's race down the ******* continues.

That's a good way to see your good employees run to your competition, leaving you stuck with the not-so-good employees and degrading the quality of your product. But hey, you saved a few bucks on the bottom line right, so it's all good?

8. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

You always reward the good ones and weed out the bad ones any way you can. If you decide to keep the bad ones (by giving them stuff a monkey could do) you just limit their hours. It's not rocket science.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's fine if you actually want to limit/get rid of someone because their performance is bad.

But, if you're just looking for an excuse to not pay overtime, you're going to piss off your best employees and they'll find a better employer to work for.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And that's exactly how you ensure the capitalistic model collapses at home, wages so low that no one can buy and the country continues to fall apart.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is often handled via layoffs. It's unlikely that most companies would reclassify a salaried role as part time for a number of reasons. You have expected hours of communication and a certain number of tasks that are assigned to a given role. Most of those that merely fill shifts are already paid hourly, in which case they're already eligible for overtime.

Businesses already reshuffle things by salary, competence level, etc. You make the assumption is that if someone is promoted beyond their current abilities, they must be incapable of doing anything. I guess yours is the kind of post I should expect from a "stuffed monkey" (strange choice of animal).

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah, one thing we certainly don't want happening is people being paid for the time they actually work.

I never understood how people who worked in salaried positions put up with some of the ridiculous hours that they have sometimes. A friend of mine used to have a husband who worked generally from 7am-9 or 10pm almost every day, and often Saturdays as well. He received no extra pay for such hours, and his salary wasn't that great. Maybe $80,000 working for some sort of financial services company auditing or something. That's just wrong on every level.

And yes, I get the whole "he took the job". But I think few actually think they will be putting in that many hours. They're probably sold on it being a normal job with a few extra hours here and there, and then get sold down the river with unpaid overtime.

Luckily, every job I work has overtime or extra time paid. And it's rare that I will accept a job that doesn't. usually only if it's a one-day thing that I have a pretty good idea won't go for very long.

13. Badagri macrumors 6502

They honestly want small businesses from home to end?

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Do you honestly want people working extra hours that they are not compensated for? Do you work for free? I sure as hell don't. If I stay extra hours, you pay for those extra hours. Business is not a charity, and neither am I.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

But shouldn't you just be happy to have a job? Forget getting compensated for extra hours. Bow down and kiss your employer's feet and thank them for giving you that job.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

That's usually the excuse. "There are ten people waiting for your job so be glad you have one and do what we say". I remember some member of this forum being a huge proponent of employees knowing their place since there were others who didn't have a job, and doing whatever hours were required no matter if they paid you or not.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yup. It's a ridiculous mentality, and anyone who thinks that way is a sucker of the highest order. Just another symptom of America's race to the bottom though. These people are so short-sighted though, they don't realize how catastrophic it will be to everyone when that bottom is reached.

Makes me glad to work for an employer that not only cares about their employees, but believes that giving the creme of the crop benefits helps them get and retain better employees.

18. Robstevo macrumors 6502

In Australia By law I don't think you can even do that. If you want to get rid of someone, you cannot replace them for X amount of months, unless you have a valid reason to fire/Replace someone.

This stops businesses from doing what you have just said and thinking purely about the profits.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We don't protect labor in the states.

20. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Fair enough, you guys are capitalist to the extreme.

Getting payed for Over time in most work places here is pretty much an nothing issue here. Normally people who aren't getting paid over time are normally people who have agreed in terms of contracts that they accept not getting payed over time, but in most cases that means you get a lot more money.

In my case I'm an apprentice structural draftsman and it's set in my contract already that I will receive over time. Which is good , most weeks I do 5 hours of over time can get payed 1.5X the normal hourly rate. Sunday's is double the normal hourly rate.

It's good that governments protects workers and not just companies, it ends up being a more fair society IMO

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It is and their are many ways to do it but Americans vote against their self interest all the time.

22. Robstevo macrumors 6502

Indeed, it's a bit like what john Oliver once said on his show about wealth inequality. Too many Americans don't want a fair society because too many Americans think one day they will be millionaires therefore don't want those policies put in place, because it might stop them earning those millions or taking those millions away.

23. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

With casual employment that it true, but when it comes to salaried employees they are generally paid to do a job rather than be there for X amount of hours. Where I work there is this Indian guy who is very ambitious and wants to move into higher positions within the company. Now, the company is fairly small and they won't pay him to learn what is required to move into a higher position, but they are perfectly happy to teach him if he is there outside of his regular 8 hour shift to learn. So that is what he did, and now he has moved into the position he wanted and is now earning more money. If this law was in place then he would not have been able to do that, and would still be stuck in his former position. Everyone's situation is unique, and laws that try to micromanage employment practises do not take this into account.

24. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I'm continually astonished at the ubiquitous credit given to businesses, that they behave in a sane and common sense manner when there are mountain ranges of evidence clearly demonstrating the psychotic, psychopathic, and sociopathic behavior of Corporations; both toward their employees as well as those who would consume their 'product'.

It is analogous to nothing less than foaming water and sharks consuming themselves. ::hammer::

25. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Yeah, and it also makes businesses more reluctant to hire people in the first place because they can't get rid of them if they need/want to for whatever reason. Seems better to get a job then get laid off later on than to never get a job at all...