Obama may retroactively demote General Petraeus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 21, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

P4 was sentenced to two years probation and fined $100,000 after acknowledging he had a SIPR (secret) laptop that he shared with his personal with Paula Broadwell, his biographer and extramarital lover. Now the Pentagon may strip him of a star for deeds magnitudes less damaging than Hillary's.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...eed-blast-possible-demotion-of-david-petraeus

If P4 is demoted, the entire world will demand like treatment for Hillary. Is this Valerie Jarrett's plan to give Obama political cover when he lowers the boom on Hillary?

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I used to take you at your word with these posts, but have learned better and this is a perfect example of why. Please show us where it says "Obama may retroactively demote General Petraeus" as your title clearly states.

All sources cite Ash Carter. Please stop misleading people and cite facts.

Sources:
    Your own
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...eed-blast-possible-demotion-of-david-petraeus

The Hill
    http://thehill.com/policy/defense/266541-mccain-reed-urge-defense-chief-not-to-demote-petraeus

Military Times
    http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...raeus-four-star-status-under-review/79003714/

3. aaronvan, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Who is the Commander in Chief? It ain't Ash Carter.

Anyway, that's not the issue (and I think Petraeus should be punished for his egregious mishandling of intelligence.) My question is is this a plot to (ahem) "remove" Hillary from contention, thus paving the way for a Bernie Revolution™?

4. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Could be. I still think Obama's going to be under a lot of pressure to pardon Hillary.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure he would, but at that point he has already achieved his objective of denying her and Bubba another shot at the Oval Oriface.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

MAKE IT SO :D

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Fair enough, from now on please credit Obama for anything you also agree with that comes from the Government or your party under his watch. For example, expanded background checks did not pass, did you thank Obama? If so, show me.

As long as you deliberately misquote and stand by it, it is absolutely an issue. Nobody questions disagreeing, but you're outright lying.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

None of this really makes sense to me by itself as a plot to discredit Hillary unless the President wishes to see a Republican elected in 2016. There are a couple pieces missing from the puzzle, no?

The depose-Clinton idea only makes sense if it looks like Clinton will really be charged.

I don't think Obama thinks Bernie can win even if his policies make sense to Obama, which I'm not completely convinced of, with respect to feasibility in a right-leaning Congress.

There could be some kind of drama where superdelegates swoop in and crown Joe Biden or another Dem after a floor motion to nominate him? Warren keeps saying no way. Biden keeps saying he regrets not running.

9. aaronvan, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It's well known inside the beltway that Valerie Jarret absolutely despises the Clintons. If Petraeus is retroactively demoted, the scrutiny and commentary on Hillary's email server will increase tenfold. Why did P4's issues with classified materials suddenly arise in the last few days, almost four years after he resigned from the CIA and over five years since he retired from the Army? The timing is very suspicious.

To really get my conspiracy on, I've thought that maybe Obama doesn't want the next President to be another Democrat. His legacy may be better served by immediate comparisons to a Republican. Also, a Republican will never overturn Obamacare--we all know that--but Hillary just might tamper with it enough that she starts taking credit for it, maybe so much that history deems it "Hillarycare."

Indeed, paranoia wrapped in a conspiracy inside a rumor: it's a veritable wilderness of mirrors.

The truth is out there...

You're holding the Governor of Michigan directly responsible for problems in one city's water supply.

I'm holding the Commander in Chief directly responsible for a 4-star Army general and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Which is more logical?

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah I like the conspiracy angle, I’m sorry I wasted my tinfoil hat award of month on some other post somewhere, this is much better... would make a nice beltway novel, you should do it before what’s his name does, the WaPo guy.

Sticking to my belief that the truth is always a snapshot when the subject is politics. :D

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For s&g's lets say that Hillary's campaign falls apart because of this scandal and/or she gets indicted. What would the party do? Would they nominate Bernie by default or could Biden get the insta-nom without even running. Has the party boxed themselves into a corner? Now the same could be said for the GOP if Trump actually pulls off the "upset". Would the party actually nominate Trump or try to screw him over.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Somewhere else I posted "suppose they gave an election and no one ran."

That's sort of how I feel about the scenario you have up there, except I had it that Trump quit (summit syndrome, boredom) and Clinton had to quit. You look through what's left and because all the air has been sucked out of the rooms over Trump as rogue and Clinton with legal baggage, no one is there any more, it's like they went home for a little break with the family or something.

Both parties are boxed in by their own past behaviors coming home to roost, and the flaws of current candidates in a season where populists rule during the primaries and no one knows what the general electorate will even look like: who will be disgusted and stay home, who disgusted and cross party iine, will anyone be enthusiastic (barring Bernie supporters, and what will happen to them when or if he does not get the nomination?)

I have never seen anything like this and have been watching elections since the days of Eisenhower. I think a brokered convention is a possibility for either party. That's some dice-roll in a year where populism is king of left and right. The media may decide to cover the conventions fully again... [buys stock in popcorn].

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Gotta be found guilty of something first to be pardoned.

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Of course. But the known facts are damning. If this country still stands for "justice for all", she'll be doing the perp walk five minutes after being indicted.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When has this country ever stood for "justice for all"?

As an aside, as much as I truly dislike Hillary, this witch hunt would involve pretty much every administration since email became standard. This is the most dishonest "investigation" I've seen since I started following politics.

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So since we're not perfect, Hillary shouldn't be held accountable. Typical.

As for this being a "witch hunt", she's in a cleft stick she cut all by herself. She didn't want to be bothered by following rules for securing classified docs and now she should pay the price any other citizen would pay for doing the same.

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Not true. Bush 41 pardoned Caspar Weinberger after indictment but before his Iran-Contra trial and President Ford proactively pardoned Richard Nixon even before an indictment.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Your silence is deafening. As long as you continue to outright lie, nobody (besides right wing loons) will every take you seriously.

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Your deflections are duly noted.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

As are yours. Here's your thread new title.
    O̶b̶a̶m̶a̶ Ash Carter may retroactively demote General Petraeus
    Change it or admit you're lying.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who the **** said the underlined? You. Not me.

There are much bigger things Hillary should be held accountable for, but it requires a critique of US foreign policy and therefore critiquing the empire, so that's not going to happen.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh, this wasn't you?:

When has this country ever stood for "justice for all"?
    Looks like your argument for excusing Hillary is that, since "justice for all" isn't perfect in the US, she should receive a Get Out of Jail Free card.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who the hell excusing Hillary? You need to stop reading into things that aren't posted. What I find funny is that while Hillary may pay the price, no one else will. That doesn't mean she shouldn't be held accountable.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

No, what you're doing is stating that Obama is committing the act in your thread title, which is a bold faced lie.

I get the impression that you are smarter than this, that you understand the difference, yet you continually mislead deliberately for whatever reason.

BTW Next time I start a thread that says "the Governor of Michigan poisoned its people" feel free to call me out on it as well.

25. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't think that's technically true. Ford pardoned Nixon, and Nixon was never indicted or impeached. He dodged those bullets by resigning, and being granted a pardon.

I'm not questioning Nixon's role, just whether he was "found guilty".