Obama may still hold terror prisoners without charge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't like the sound of this. Momentarily suspending Habeas Corpus a la Abraham Lincoln is one thing (and still to be considered an extreme measure to be adopted reluctantly), but the current direction of policy in the war on terror is something I find disturbing.

I don't like the idea of holding anybody indefinitely without charge, under any circumstances. Bush did it, and damn him for doing it. Obama should not do it.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary situation in the Obama administration's deconstruction of Bush's legal framework for this stuff.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It's not. But we can hope anyway I guess.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This is the one good thing that Obama has done during his first days in office. He should also torture them for information. Terrorists have no rights.

Don

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Terrorists or people who look like terrorists or were near terrorists or were mistaken for terrorists?

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

People get hurt in conflict, it's a fact. If some innocent people get hurt while in the process of protecting the country so be it.

Don

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, funny thing that. The pentagon produced a report last year that said over 70% of those being held in these "secret prisons" were probably not terrorists at all and likely had no information about any either.

Since the our military over there pays a fair amount of money to anyone handing over "a terrorist" it's become quite a money making scam for nar-do-wells to just round up anyone they can for the cash.

PS: If you really want to capture the individuals responsible for actual terroristic acts just start arresting the CIA agents that did them - or paid to have them done.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you sacrifice your ideals in the name of defending your country, then what exactly are you defending?

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

If the government has reason to believe that someone is a terrorist, I have no problem with them arresting them, and torturing them for information. If the person had no connection to terrorism, to bad.

Don

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I see, so we're going to just throw out the 4th, 5th, and 8th Amendments?

The defining attribute of American law and democracy has been our unwavering belief in the process. We can survive all other things, but if we are going to make such large and egregious violations concerning due process, then the very freedoms we strive to protect will disappear before our eyes.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

So we are going to go off of the "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. We want the world to look at us as a super power, someone that they can model themselves off of, and we also go into other countries to spread our democracy on them whether they want it or not. So we want them to take example from us, unless it comes to terrorists than it's "don't look at what we are doing over here, you just keep thinking we are a great country and pretend that we are no better than any terrorist country". Sorry, the torturing needs to stop if we are to regain our dignity as a country...

12. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

If you replace "terrorist" with "infidel" your quote sounds just like something the Taliban might say. Does it bother you that you're ideologically identical to those you profess to hate?

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Anyone who can torture, condone torture, or allow the torturing of another human being isn't bothered by much.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wow. Nationalism at its brightest there.

People come before country in my moral universe.

16. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Obama is really starting to piss me off and I'm close to writing a lot of letters.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Can you prove that please. A link, as per the rules, is required.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Reading the linked article certainly gives no grounds for supposing either that Obama's DoJ has any consistent, legally-defensible framework for dealing with these cases or that Obama himself is willing to abandon the practice of the executive redefining facts and circumstances at will. This is looking more shameful and more disappointing by the day. I remember a similar disappointment as Clinton's bold agenda crumbled to dust in his first 100 days.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'd just like a link to his factual statement. If there is one then I feel I can hammer down on Obama without this story being rubbished in the next couple of days.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You talk like someone without a conscience, torture should never be used under any circumstances, i'd rather get blown up by a terrorist attack than live in a country where torture is used as a form of investigation.

If you use torture your no better than the terrorists, and i'd like to consider myself more civilized than them.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Leaving aside your apparent abrogation of a multitude of international treaty obligations to which your country is party, how do you know who is a terrorist? Obama should drop the meaningless term "terrorist" along with "enemy combatant".

May any idea that your country represents the rule of law, human rights or anything else in particular worth defending, Rest in Peace. Shameful.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've only seen the full extent of what Dmac77 has said because you've quoted him but they are just horrific.

Luckily, he is a young boy and has a chance to change with age.
    You and I haven't agreed on much over the last week so I can say, with much pleasure, that you are spot on in my opinion.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If that is your opinion then the terrorists have won. They have created such fear in America that the American people themselves are willing to destroy their own democracy and freedom.

Terrorists 1 - Democracy 0

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So how would you like it if there was a murder in your town, and the cops thought maybe you did it, but weren't sure, so they threw you in jail. Then after you were in jail for awhile, to try to get a confession out of you, they physically beat and abused you within an inch of your life, even though you had no connection to the murder. And they just kept you in jail for years, no trial, or not even charging you with anything. Too bad, right?

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't try to kid us. You have no clue about what this administration has done in the last 7-8 weeks.

Do not feed the troll, people.