Obama, more of THIS.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Feb 2, 2010.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's yesterday's Daily Show. They covered Obama's meeting with the Reps. I think the correct term is he pwned them.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Voice: Dr. Tom Price from Georgia and then we'll have one more after that if your time permits Mr. President.

Obama: You know, I am having fun, this is great.

Actually you'll have to watch it later, its funny.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I shall. Thanks.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, this is the Obama that I love to see, tearing down people's rhetoric filled cheapshots and giving great answers. If only we really could make this a monthly thing on both sides of the aisle, a presidential Q&A. THIS is the Obama that gives me hope, but we see far to little of this side of him when it comes to actually trying to get things through.

My message to Obama: Man up, do this more often, and become more of a hands on president rather than relying on goodwill that dries up the second you leave the room with the GOP.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

From what I saw of it, he was in top form. Almost completely freed of the "ums" that have plagued his unrehearsed speaking.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Surely actions on things such as healthcare and guantanamo and illegal wars and domestic wiretapping etc matter more than rebuffing political adversaries? Wouldn't actually getting this stuff underway/done be the ultimate way to get the last laugh?

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You cannot expect actual work from him can you?

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why not?

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The "last laugh" should not be a goal in this context. When a politician wins big, the average person tends to be the loser in the equation. The real problem is the noise machine. Were I in Obama's shoes, I would tell the opposition, "Look, as long as you continue shouting, I will shut you out, because your noise is making my ears hurt. When you are ready to discuss things in a civil tone, then I will be ready to listen."

12. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Getting things done is certainly the ultimate goal, but dont forget how little direct control Obama has over much/most of the process.

What I expect from and want out of a president is a person who serves as a leader and voice for people of the nation (or at least his constituents). So I think the president directly discussing an issue and attacking an unreasonable national dialogue is a very important step.