Obama mulls making vets foot bill for service injuries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As a disabled Veteran with Asbestos Disease,PTSD and other service related injuries this MUST be stopped. I served my country so he could be president. I voted for him because he said :

""Keeping faith with those who serve must always be a core American value and a cornerstone of American patriotism. Because America's commitment to its servicemen and women begins at enlistment, and it must never end."

-- Barack Obama, Speech in Kansas City, MO
    August 21, 2007

----------

Now it seems he wants to charge disabled veterans for their service connected injuries.

http://www.buffalonews.com/180/story/610029.html

-----------

Please write your congressman or senator and tell him to keep his promise to Veterans.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

So he 'may' hold prisoners without charge... He 'mulls' making vets bill...

What are we going to criticise him for not yet doing. I back any criticism when he has actually done something, instead of a report saying he may or may not think about something.

3. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

It's already being put into the Fiscal year 2010 budget :

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmar09/nf031709-1.htm

And nothing personal es but you're not even American that I can see by your sig.

4. Lau Guest

I would have said that the greater flaw lay in the fact that anyone at all has to foot the bill for basic healthcare. That's what I'd writing to people about.

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Does that apply for everything to do with American politics or just this issue?

That is one of the strangest things I've heard on a discussion board. With respect, I'll continue sharing my opinion on world affairs until a moderator tells me I'm no longer welcome to do so.

6. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry I came off harsh but I'm a Veteran. and Veterans tend to be a close nit group. You would have to have been there to understand.

It's one thing to talk about American politics but's it's different when policy change takes away from veterans who served to protect the rights of Americans.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't concern myself with the way the British government deals with with it's own veterans so I tend to expect the same from the other side of the pond. My statement wasn't meant as an insult or trying to keep you from speaking your mind. Freedom of speech is a cornerstone of Democracy. Talk away. But understand I will defend Veterans.

[edit] and it's 6AM. Just woke up to this news with no coffee. I'll cut you slack if you cut me slack :)
    [/edit]

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Took the words right out of my mouth keyboard.

What he is "mulling" is wrong on so many levels I can't believe it would ever come to pass.

8. calculus Guest

calculus

Indeed. This is exactly the kind of nonsense you get into when you don't have a proper healthcare system.

9. Lau Guest

I hardly think és: was slagging off veterans in his post.

The British government provides free healthcare for its veterans. It also provides free healthcare for nurses, teachers, firemen, policemen, parents, children, the elderly, council workers, dustmen, toilet cleaners, politicians, doctors, dentists. In fact, it provides free healthcare for human beings on its soil.

The system is in no way without its flaws, but, in principle, a bit more of a humane one, no? Looking at other countries' systems can be worth being concerned with. I would say that all Americans deserved a bit more respect. Plenty of other people serve the country too.

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

When have I done anything to make you defend veterans?

Anyway, my point still stands. Why are people getting on his back because might think about doing this, or he might consider doing that. If he actually does these things then it is only right to bring the hammer down on him. If he does go back on his words then it is only right that you smack him about on that issue. The problem I have is that there is thread after thread with what Obama might do. I'm sure buffalo news is a reputable source but them saying he (well, actually his administration) are considering something... it is hard to justify.

And by the way, veterans have, and always have had, my full support. Especially in this matter.

11. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

es. you have to understand the ways of capitol hill. This plan is already being placed in a proposed budget. If people don't stand up now and speak out against it it will become law in 2011. The next thing you know people on social security will be paying more and more and more for health care.

All the while politicians continue to pay out billions to corporate thieves.

Sure Obama has spoken out against AIG. But does it mean he WILL charge them more taxes for robbing from the poor to feed the rich ? Or just talk about it. ?

Don't get me wrong. I voted for Obama. I'm a life-long Democrat. I'm against war but I volunteered in the service because I felt an obligation to my country even though it was during a very unpopular war.

One has to think this through. If veterans are forced to use health insurance for service connected injuries their health care costs will sky rocket because they have pre-existing conditions. As it stands now and has been for over 50 years private health care coverage premiums are low because the VA pays for the health care if it's service connected. If they stop doing this disabled veterans will see a HUGE increase in costs to them.
    We already paid. Period.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Luckily, I do.

13. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Well you're better than me then and I've lived here for 56 years.

14. Lau Guest

Don't you think this is a pretty horrendous thing for every citizen?

15. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Yes I do but I think it's worse for people that joined the military and defended the rights of Americans.

And I'll quote Obama for you :

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/veterans/

Read it.

And I might add this. My older brother lives off social security as his only form of income and he gets better health care than I do. Go to a Veterans Hospital for health care sometime. Perhaps you will understand then.

16. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, good hard study and indoctrination into the ways of internal and international affair give you a pretty good understanding of the ways things work.

I believe she is from the UK, so it'll be hard.

17. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

It's hard if you live in the USA too.;)

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Health care was bad enough for Vets already. I was under the impression during the presidential campaign that Obama was well aware of that too.

19. Lau Guest

I think you're missing my point. I absolutely think that veterans should get free healthcare, but then I think everyone should get free healthcare. Why not campaign for people to lobby their senator about that?

I'm agreeing with you that people should be outraged about free healthcare being taken away from veterans, but I'm also saying that people should also be outraged that people die or go bankrupt in a rich country because they can't pay their medical bills, and have already had that right taken away from them.

All I'm saying is that you could lobby your senator about this small part of the system that directly affects you, or you could tackle the bigger picture and demand that as an American in a what is allegedly a civilised society you would like all of your citizens to have access to a basic human right, i.e. health.

Just playing devils advocate. ;)

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

This is terrible. It was bad enough that the Bush administration cut Veteran's benefits. I hope "Dead on Arrival" is true.

22. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

I can't debate a point that you can't understand. In the USA there is a special "sacred bond between Veterans and the government" that goes beyond health care for all citizens. I'm not saying Veterans are better than the average citizen. I AM saying veterans were promised health care in turn for giving up their rights as a citizen and becoming a "GI" which stands for Government Issue. We gave up basic rights when we joined and were governed by the Uniform Code Of Military Justice rather than regular laws. For doing that and standing in harms way to protect every citizens rights.
    When I was in the military I was subject to military law which is and can be much harsher than civil law.
    Because of this we were promised health care if we suffered from a disability due to military service.
    So yes I am concerned about universal health care but I'm more concerned for my brothers in arms that gave up liberty to protect this country.
    And I will fight until I'm dead for those rights.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I second this.

24. Lau Guest

As much as I haven't lived in the US, and so can't understand the subtleties of the situation, I do understand what you're saying and how veterans have given up certain rights and so therefore are due an amount of protection from what is essentially a completely screwed up system.

My point is that if you look at the bigger picture than that (and there really is one), there could be an opportunity to improve the situation for everyone. It would be like saying "Everyone in the US is liable to be attacked by bloodthirsty lemurs who roam the countryside. This group of people who gave up a hell of a lot for the country should be immune to being attacked by bloodthirsty lemurs!". My point is that no-one should be attacked by bloodthirsty lemurs and that it might be worth trying to do something about the bloodthirsty lemurs. ;)

But, by all means, all contact your senators about this issue. I'm in no way saying people shouldn't do that.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Now that is one of the most retarded things i have heard....