Obama must be a threat to someone...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Isn't in amazing how simple precautionary language about education to help 5 year olds realize when some toucing is wrong gets twisted into politics as usual.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/19/277886.aspx

Honestly, this is something most schools I am aware of already do. I really don't care for Obama, but I find these actions against him offensive. Ahhh, the smell of character assassination in July...

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's how low the Republicans will have to go, since with Bush, they no longer have any moral credibility whatsoever.

3. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well there are other examples out there on both sides of taking benign concepts and perverting them into something they are not. But, yes, I agree when we are dealing here with someone is who is trying to protect 5-year olds, then it becomes a reprehensible spectacle. My fear is of course that with Republicans like Romney firing the first salvoes on a topic that should never be politicized it becomes easy for the Democrats to do likewise then and say "They started it!"

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

God forbid that this type of subject be taught in the home. Kindergarteners? Glad my kid isn't exposed to public skrools.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Romney has a history of saying dumb things and contradicting himself. He'll be buried by his own shovel.

6. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but others are quickly jumping on the bandwagon, smelling blood. This is exactly how the myth of Al Gore " I invented the internet" got started.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya..how dear people try and look out for 5 year olds!!

:rolleyes:

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm sure that Senator Clinton wouldn't eventually take advantage of something like this. :rolleyes:

9. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Time will tell, maybe I am crazy, but I believe in defense of her kiddy book she all but said the community has to take a role in preparing kids against such things as sexual predators.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

We're all glad you're rich too.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually yes, good for him. Anybody who can find a way make a buck-- way to go. Obama made a few dollars himself. 35 MILLION in campaign donations and selling t-shirt and hats. If he's got any kids they sure as hell don't go any public school.

12. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

You mean Al Gore wasn't instrumental in the design of the series of tubes???!!!:D

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Senator you're referring too is that obese Ted Stevens of Alaska. The one who is under investigation for corruption. Both his son and daughter have apparently been recipients of his slimy dealings.

14. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

Politics itself is slimy and truthfully it always has been. Even in the Washington and Jefferson days. Its about pleasing the side the can keep you popular the longest.

Just a side note... what U.S. Senator do you know who sends their kids to public school?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If it was, there would be no need for it. You can always opt out if you'd rather teach your kids and/or don't want the school too. Completely missing the point of what they're actually teaching though, proving the OP's point.

(deleted for fear of being banned)

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, it takes real wealth to financially prepare for having one kid. Give me a break. Half the parochial schools in the Midwest don't even charge tuition for parishioners, but then that would have taken a little research on your part, huh?

Where do you guys get fed this liberal tripe?

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Hardly ANY of our elected officials subject their own families to the programs and schools they impose on the rest of us. They believe so much in the soundness of Social Security that they created a separate program for themselves and opted out of the one we are stuck with. The list goes on.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Back it up with a link or it's merely neo con tripe.

You know the rules....

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hahahahaaa. please i need a link for these schools.

every catholic grade school and high school in chicago requires tuition, and its not cheap. this is the first i have ever, ever, heard of parochial schools being free.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me, what??!!! Since when? Come to Chicago like PoD just said. You couldn't be more wrong.

21. pdham macrumors member

I can also attest that Milwaukee has not such free parochial schools

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

A link to various church fee structures for tuition? Google Roman Catholic school tuition. Knock yourself out.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

odd how you can't admit that you're wrong.
    after googling your exact phrase, since you're to lazy to provide us with links, its seems that you're wrong

http://www.ncea.org/FAQ/CatholicEducationFAQ.asp

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know what? What is the matter with you? You are WRONG. Admit it for a change- your BS gets tiring.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I guess you're in the expensive half. The parish I am closest to actually does charge $1,000 for tuition, but they didn't have any openings. The church I go to just requires that we tithe regularly and contribute hours of volunteer time for the fesitval and some of the annual fundraisers.

I do know that my parents did NOT pay tuition until I went to highschool.

The point is that parochial schools do NOT impose a crippling expense for escaping public skrools. In fact, in know that the private highschool I attended and plan on sending my son too will NEVER turn away a student that scores high on the entrance exam based on his parent's ability to pay.