Obama only a candidate because he is a black man.(Ferraro)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sowillo14, Mar 11, 2008.

1. sowillo14 macrumors regular

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/ferraro.comments/?iref=mpstoryview
    She was also overheard saying the sky was blue, and water is wet.:rolleyes:

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

In other news, Hillary is only a candidate because she is married to Bill Clinton and has ridden his coattails and used his name recognition for her entire political career.

3. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

In other news McCain is only a candidate after a successful surgery of removing his head from GW's butt.:p

This is the worst election I hope I ever have to witness.:(

4. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

that's not true.
    alan keyes is black. never heard of him? i didn't think so :D

but i think if he didnt have the war to talk about he'd be gone by now

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Obama is there because people like what he stands for and what he has to say. He wouldn't be there otherwise. Alan Keyes is a perfect example, BTW.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Actually, no. I don't believe the surgery was successful :p

7. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

Obama is more white than he is black. Ethnically, it's 50-50. But his dad didn't raise him. His white mother and white grandparents raised him.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I partially agree with her.

85% of black voter voted for him so far, people around me when talking why they voted for obama mostly cited the slavery and black people "deserve this chance".

Somebody eventually will say it, voting for, or against a candidate based on color, just isn't right. When you looking into the future, like obama would like to say, you should try not to misplace your emotion.

I sure am not saying he is not qualified, and i know people can vote for whoever based on whatever reason they like. I jut feel media have same guilty feeling for whatever happened 100 years ago, and no real debate about future was carried out.

9. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

Hey, the same goes for all the women voting for Hillary just because she's a woman. In fact, the defection rate against McCain is higher among female Democrats than among black Democrats. Clinton would receive 93% of the black Democratic vote against McCain vs. 96% for Obama. However, among female Democrats, Clinton receives 93% to Obama's 79%. Among white Democrats, 1 out of 5 will not vote for Obama whereas 97% of blacks are gonna vote for Clinton. Seems to me that blacks are voting FOR Obama and not against Clinton. They still like her. The 20% of whites and MAJORITY of Latinos that vote for her and would defect to McCain if Obama was the nominee are voting against Obama. Latinos hate blacks and it showed in Texas, where 56% of those who said race was very important were Clinton voters.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

So there's affirmative action in the White House now?

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i know the "defect rate" of hillary supporter is higher. why? how about their candidate wasn't treated fairly in every debate?

vote for, or against hillary based on gender is sexist. i have absolutely no problem saying this

12. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

84% of male Democrats will vote for both candidates in matchups with McCain. Seems to me the sexism in this campaign is overwhelmingly in Hillary's favor. Likewise, "racism" is in Obama's favor, though she doesn't lose 14% of black voters like he does with women, so as I said, I think blacks are voting for symbolism just as much as women are, but the women are taking it a step further and saying that they won't vote for a man. Perhaps it's because he's black, I don't know. But Hillary will still get a ton of black support so it's not racism against her.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

14. sowillo14 thread starter macrumors regular

You may be right my friend, I believe his brain got left behind.:D
    [​IMG]

15. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

That's because they've got boxes of scandal junk to unload on Hillary. Stuff that hasn't been reported at all in the media, including details about her past scandals. But there's also recent stuff that could be damaging for her.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well of course, because while they might lose to Obama, they will most certainly win against Clinton.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that's certainly why. So while Obama is gaining votes because he's black (from black voters), he's also losing votes because he's black (from hardcore white Dems), but also because he's better than Hillary.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's a big difference between saying Obama nets a few votes because of his race, and saying that the only reason he's on the stage is because of the tremendous advantages his race provides.

Ferraro is dog whistling, and she should be ashamed of it.

And Hillary should have to answer why she hasn't denounced AND rejected Ferraro's comments. And fired her, the same way the Obama team fired the person who called Hillary a "monster".

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You must be quite young. This is probably the best presidential election campaign I've seen in my lifetime and I have memory of about ten of them.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Exactly. There have been a number of black politicians (like Alan Keyes, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton) who've run for president in the past, who were never even remotely this successful. He clearly has more going for him than the color of his skin.

The bizarre thing (to me) is that Mrs. Ferraro is sticking to her guns. She was interviewed by Diane Sawyer this morning (on "Good Morning America") and Sawyer gave her several opportunities to attempt to "clarify" her comments---but she seems to be digging in her heels even more.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Frankly, she's probably enjoying the attention. She's been all washed up politically for over 20 years. Suddenly the media is interested in what she's got to say and the old politician's instincts kick in.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Very true.

It's very Rovian. Attack visciously via surrougate, apologize for nothing, and attack your opponent for defending themselves against scurrilous charges.

And that ain't gonna play well with the Democratic base IMHO.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Me too. and I can remember 9...
    Maybe not the best imo, but certainly top 2
    The Clinton/Bush#1 was pretty good. Perhaps it was because it was the first election I was allowed to vote in, but similar on several levels.

24. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The question now is how many people want Obama to be the nomination now because it is history, but when it comes down to who do you want as president, how many people might get cold feet and not vote for him. Will the novelty run out on his magical ride. It won't be this easy forever for him.