Obama Osama Humm Are They Brothers?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by faintember, Apr 20, 2008.

1. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

WSPA 7 News
    Digg Link

I don't know whether to be more disappointed with the pastor's comments or the spelling and grammar mistakes in the report. I just can't believe that a pastor would make such an ignorant comment and still deny that it is political or racial.

The video that aired with the news story is not up on the WSPA website, but hopefully they will post it eventually as it shows some colorful conversation between Pastor Byrd and some local African Americans.

Edit: The title of the thread was the original title of the article on WSPA, which was edited after I made this post.

Edit2: Video has been added to the original site. Direct links to the story seem not to work sometimes, so the link has been edited to hopefully fix the problem.

Attached Files:

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Gee....what a shock :rolleyes: They've probably ran all the black people out of town

3. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

Hehe, well some must have came in from out of town, as the video showed at least 2-3 blacks standing around the sign talking to Pastor Byrd.

Byrd Bird humm are they both avian?

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Oh no. Obamas a terrorist now cause his name is SO close.

Help.

Someone.

Please.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am absolutely fed up with this right-wing hate mongering. Do a**holes like Byrd think they are fulfilling God's work, or being clever? I suppose in Tennessee this passes for leading-edge humor. What compounds Byrd's stupidity is the lame excuse for putting the sign up. No one could be that stupid and be free to walk the streets. But, the final revulsion is that the congregation voted unanimously to keep it. Yes Jonesville, you have really distinguished yourselves.

I guess there is something Barack and his supporters can take away positively from all of these stupid right-wing attacks; I have not seen a thing to date which has any real merit. Everything is manufactured BS. The majority of the voting public is going to weary of this soon, if they have not already.

6. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

7. Aranince macrumors 65816

Its crazy people like these that give Christianity a bad name. Its a shame.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very true, whether it is this idiot, Phelps, or Wright.

9. pooky macrumors 6502

That sort of thing seems like it should lead to revocation of their tax exempt status. It certainly violates the spirit, if not the letter of the law.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Seems to be a common trope. Hard to believe people can be so easily led by words alone. It's like a mass version of Freud's rat-man story (man develops fear of rats because he associates tails (schwanz) with penises (slang = schwanz)...:D

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

How sad. Also noticing how they spelled hmm wrong. Wondering how many of them are voting against their economic and other interests too because they put such things above all else. And we wonder why people think Americans are stupid. :rolleyes:

Hopefully. It's like with the bitter comment, and the ABC debates. People know there are real problems we face, and are sick of the bs. I'm sure it will still be effective with some, as we see above, but who's going to care about Rev Wright and flag lapels when they're losing their homes and we're still in Iraq with no end in sight? I'm guessing not as many as last time. Scratch that, hoping.

True, but then they can claim religious persecution, which is what they do when that happens. And who's going to prosecute them? Not this administrations officials. They only do that to liberal churches and antiwar Quakers and the like apparently.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Which is why, IMO, we need to get rid of tax exempt status for religious organizations alltogether. Some of these organizations have millions of dollars and don't pay a dime in taxes. Money they receive as donations that will be used for charitable causes, and purchases made for charitable causes should be exempt, but any money they receive and purchases they make just for administration and upkeep and whatnot, tax 'em.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14. faintember thread starter macrumors 65816

faintember

That may be the case. Why can't people in a position of religious power refrain from making public political commentary?

The video looks like it was uploaded to the site this morning, so feel free to check it out to see the interaction between Pastor Byrd and some local minorities as well as some comments from Byrd that seem to show the flawed "logic" that he has regarding this topic.

Just wanted to clarify that this is Jonesville South Carolina.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Might as well say "WE'RE IGNORANT".

The best part is that the pastor put the sign up based on idle speculation that the similarity in names means the two individuals share a religion. Not to mention that "Osama" is a given name and "Obama" is a surname...Maybe he might do a little research and answer that question himself rather than putting up a speculative and clearly incendiary sign?

He's making a complete ass of himself and his church.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My name is James which means usurper, watch out churches I'm going to usurp your Lord.

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Makes me love to be in America..... Us poor Quakers are the most accepting people around and we get attacked by the government, while racist bigoted groups get protected, again, I love America..

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why? If someone broke the law, then yeah, I guess it should be even though they're despicable. And suddenly I just got that you're probably making a joke. Ok, my sense of humor is tired right now, it's been a long day.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe it's just a British thing, but this man's name is Roger Byrd :D :D :D

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Jonesville is a bit too close to Jonestown for my liking. Destroy it. I'm not being political about this, I just want people to think.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Obama/Osama?? Sorry. Maybe Barack/Osama, or Obama/Bin Laden.

Didn't you hear, the separation of church and state is a one way street.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Oh, now I get it.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, it is a British thing, but it occurred to me as well. As we were on the subject of inconvenient names anyway, it wasn't too far out of my way. :D

Moreover, at risk of exposing some of the more bizarre twists and turns inside my head, what actually bubbled up was:

1. Roger Byrd.
    2. ???
    3. Prophet!

24. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

stuff like this makes me so mad.

i knew right from the title of this thread...

25. stevegmu macrumors regular

Kind of like how mostly black churches endorse candidates from the pulpit? Should they lose their tax-exempt status, as well, or just the ones who question B. Obama's loyalty? B. Obama does have ties to an admitted terrorist, as well as a adult life-long relationship with Rev. Wright.