Obama Outperforms Reagan on Jobs, Growth and Investing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Sep 7, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

But, Fox News told me Obama was the worst president ever and hasn't accomplished anything. This doesn't make any sense...
    Link

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

And on war, spying on citizens & arming the enemy & caroling on the constitution

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think direct comparisons with numbers like this is very difficult for dozens of reasons.

Purely from a baseline glance it's interesting, but a much deeper analysis is required for a full understanding.

An example being consumer confidence. In the 80's people were very happy parting with their money because they felt more secure about their jobs, earnings, savings, home values, and future.

Current times, not so much. A lot goes into that, some of which has NOTHING to do with Obama, but on a whole I'd say the nation was happier under Reagan.

[​IMG]

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Reagan playing golf on October 24, 1983.

[​IMG]

----------

I'm surprised you used a graph that is more than a year old. According to the Confidence Board, consumer confidence was at 91% in July of this year.

http://www.conference-board.org/press/pressdetail.cfm?pressid=5247

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

On a monthly basis consumer confidence doesn't work as well when ascertaining the "mood" of the nation. Especially over the summer months.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    Still, why not show data to the current available, instead of more than a year old?

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Because an extra few months makes no difference when gauging the mood of the nation under Obama.

Okay, it's at 90+% for a month or two. Well so what? Take consumer confidence over the span of the Obama presidency compared to previous presidents.

[​IMG]

Also is the intent to compare one Obama month to Reagan's whole presidency? Obama would still lose even with a couple good months under his belt.

[​IMG]

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nonsense. Our greatest President ever would never play golf the day after 241 Americans died in a terror attack.

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Can't win em all. And I somehow doubt any other president would have.

10. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Do you agree that Obama should be in jail just like. Bush& ronnie?

12. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't support putting them in jail either. It's pointless to lust over putting US presidents (which just won't happen) in prison when you also don't know 99.9% of the causes for their actions? There's no point in fantasizing about it.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you're going to put all the US presidents in jail for the stuff Obama has done who would do the job?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it would have to be the people, congress is just as guilty.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Great. So we have the most powerful country in the world being run by bumbling amateurs. What could possibly go wrong?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah, because the ONLY options are corrupt well experience politicians:rolleyes:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We employ politicians to wheel and deal on our behalf. That the system and rules they operate under encourage graft and corruption is another matter, which certainly needs addressing, but simply saying that all politicians should go to jail does not really help.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, lets just jail the bad ones, like the ones who had no problem with the patriot act/NSA/NDAA , seems like a good start, we can go from there. :)

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I figured as much...

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So that's merely practically all of them in jail...

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't see the problem :)

22. TPadden, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

TPadden macrumors 6502a

The post is from a blog stating another quote from Forbes is fact. The original economic report quoted supposedly from Forbes is actually an "opinion" piece which Forbes clearly indicates as such, not a Forbes published article nor a Forbes published economic report. :cool:

"Opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own."

23. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I don't think we should get too carried away here. The economy is doing better since Obama took office, but I wouldn't be giving him high fives over it even though I very much support him. More stimulus was needed and a lot of the drop in the unemployment rate has come from people giving up.

The thing that makes Obama "the best" by these measures is that he inherited a really bad economy. Therefore there was more room for "growth."

P-Worm

24. samiwas macrumors 68000

If the economy is still "stagnant at best" as so many say, then why are there so many new construction projects going on (at least here in Atlanta, and same in Cincy a few weeks ago)? Why are so many more people on the roads than there were a few years ago? Why are there so many people everywhere doing things?

Seems to be it's gotten quite a bit better.