Obama overtakes Clinton in "electability" battle

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Apr 18, 2008.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://news.yahoo.com/page/election...obama-gains;_ylt=AnSj1jwgD_ig9njkf5FUNNGs0NUE

I certainly don't think someone's "electability" should be an issue with which someone is nominated, but this new information certainly suggests that Clinton will have a hard time winning if she does end up get the nomination.

Not surprising, it would appear that Clinton's attitude is a major turn off for voters.

In other news, it looks like superdelegates aren't going to suddenly flock to Clinton en masse and subvert the will of the people.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dc/2008/04/breaking_news_thomas_backs_oba.html

2. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

two weeks ago he was ahead, one week ago mccain was beating him and now he's ahead again. goes to show how much polls are really worth

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I thought it was neck and neck 2 days ago. Or was that Obama/Mccain.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately for her, Hillary's standing with the public rarely changes. She is certainly not a well-liked indiviual.

5. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm pretty sure it was Obama/McCain. Hillary and McCain are neck and neck still, too.

If you had read the article, you would have seen that this was the first paragraph:

This wasn't a poll among all Americans of many different political backgrounds. This was a poll among Democrats only.

What this seems to tell me though, is that Obama has more support among Democrats, and would do a better job uniting the party behind him after this nomination process is over. I know I'm not the only liberal who will be voting 3rd party if Clinton gets the nomination.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Me too. I'd rather vote for George Bu.. I mean John McCain than Hillary. If she steals the nomination I'll either write in Barack Obama or vote for Nader.

7. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Nothing in this world could convince me to vote for McCain, even if Hillary gets the nomination.

I'd write-in Obama for vote for Nader.

My prediction if it is McCain vs. Clinton: lowest voter turnout in decades.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not so sure about that. Hillary has such high negatives, it might bring out a lot of Republicans to vote against her.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'd bet money on it. There are a lot of republicans who are not necessarily happy with McCain as the nominee, but who will do whatever it takes to keep the Clintons out of the White House. If there's one thing that can energize the GOP voters who don't like McCain it's the prospect of another Clinton presidency.

10. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

That is true, but I think you'll also see a lot of Democrats and liberals stay home when the choice is between two conservatives.

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

I'm not surprised at this poll. Democrats have never been too fond of negative campaigning. Why the Clinton camp thought they could get away with it, I'll never know.

It's a shame, if you ask me. She was a great candidate. History will note she went down swinging. Wildly, willy-nilly, not caring what she hit, but swinging nonetheless.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well I might be able to bring myself to vote for Clinton, should she somehow get the nomination. Just to experience some schadenfreude of the republicans who voted for her in the primary because they thought there was no way she could win.

Unfortunately I don't think the schadenfreude vote is enough to put her over the top against McCain.

13. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

The best/funniest comparison made about her campaign was when someone said that she took the 'Tonya Harding' option during the nomination process.

14. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i dont understand why? hillary and obama are the same. the only thing that differentiates them is empty promises of change in the way washington is run. which is meaningless.
    keep in mind these polls are asking people who they think will win. which is meaningless

if people would stop voting based on who they like, we wouldn't have bush.

as for obama i wont vote for him because he deliberately pursued the disenfranchisement of my state. if he doesn't want me to vote, fine i wont vote for him then.
    i'll write in my own name.

edit: after ten minutes of thinking about the stupid thing i just said, i take that back.
    it is more important to end the war in iraq, get healthcare reform, and fix our economy.
    i'm voting based on america's best interest not my own grudges.
    i cant stand him but america would fare far better with him than mccain

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Some background on that statement. :)

16. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i know FL and Mi broke the rules! nobody is denying that! what i'm saying is that there was a chance to hear the voices of those voters and he stopped it!

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even as a Canadian, when I saw that news item, I said out loud, "WTF!!!".

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No he didn't. The Michigan Senate decided against a separate primary.

19. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

New item here:

Hillary Clinton Slams Democratic Activists at Private Fundraiser

And this is just another example of why I won't be voting for her, stevento. If Hillary and Obama are the same (according to you), I might as well vote for the person who doesn't run a negative campaign, isn't a typical power hungry politician with lobbyists running her campaign, and doesn't come across as though she is entitled to the nomination and doesn't have to work for it. I'll vote for the person who hasn't shown time and time again that the rules only matter when they benefit her and the "will of the people" only matters when it benefits her.

How many more times are you going to repeat this despite being proven wrong on the subject at least 5 times a day?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't get it. :confused:

It's funny, if you would have told me a few years ago I'd support Hillary over McCain, I'd have laughed in your face. But here we are. Now I'm hoping I can vote for Obama. But only because I don't want to be having to hold my nose and vote for Hillary. If Obama can surround himself with some good people, all he has to do is not suck as much as Bush, and that's a pretty low bar.

I was a Dodd supporter, even with all of his faults that were completely ignored by the MSM.

Just read that. Sickening. If she wanted to destroy her campaign, this is the way to do it. They aren't going to be as forgiving as the religious right have been with McCain.