Obama: 'People committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-people-committed-terrible-deeds-152411532.html

crusades/inquisition ETC happened a long, LONG time ago. not sure what his point was, perhaps point out the extremist are still stuck in the stone age?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

KKK, doomsday believers, survivalists some only need a simple excuse to go postal on others. missionaries that destroyed whole cultures and people.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What atrocities have these guys comitted?

7. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Moral Equivalency. "You see, these Muslim Extremists aren't so bad" :rolleyes:

My contention with him making the statement is what good does it do? Killing in the name of religion was/is never a good thing.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They're annoying.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What good does it do to lend perspective to a contentious issue?

Do I really have to explain that?

Do you think that Obama was saying that it was a good thing?

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Good call.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yup lots of people did lots of bad things all throughout history in the name of many different gods....

I think we should be more concerned with the people who are still doing so.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

COMPARED to whom? Obama? Obama is the war monger in chief. perhaps it was a reflection of himself :eek:

13. hulugu, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't that's what he's trying to say at all, instead he's noting that you can't judge a religion because of the radical notions of some of its adherents.

While everyone runs to the Crusades because it's so obvious, there are modern day Christian extremists from the tiny National Liberation Front of Tripura (India) to the Anti-Balaka fighters in the CAR.

Maronite Christian militias committed their own massacres against Palestinians during the Lebanese Civil War, and let's not forget about the IRA or the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda.

We also see groups of Hindus, Buddhists, and Jews also committing violence against other religious groups, almost invariably against religious minorities.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]those are not "true" Christians [​IMG]

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Dat tru. If they were they would know Matthew 7:21-23. Even the Lawd Jeezus disavow them.:cool:

Sayeth the Lawd Jeezus: "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" (Matt 7:23)

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

For a few years now people have been saying that Islam is a religion that preaches violence and barbaric behavior. If you believe that to be true, then what is the logical conclusion? That Islam is something that must be annihilated. That's a lovely setup for persecution, isn't it?

The point is that if Christianity - the self-described religion of love and peace - could be used to direct events like the Inquisition and the Crusades, then it stands to reason that other religions could similarly be hijacked for such purposes. We should not blindly hate or spurn Islam, but hold responsible the people who are using the religion as an excuse to commit atrocities. And no religious person should feel smug or superior in thinking that their own religion couldn't be used for such vile purposes. Anyone who feels that sense of superiority is most vulnerable to committing those atrocious acts; they'd always feel that they were justified, and that their actions were somehow different from the "barbarians from the stone ages."

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Because it goes beyond heinous and barbaric acts done in the name of Islam. Look at many Muslim countries and how they treat women and gays, as an example. Barbaric and heinous seem to be appropriate words there too.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama forgot that little tid bit, or maybe not, do you imagine the insane mess he would create not just there, but to point out many Christians to this day are bigoted towards gays? :eek:

19. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Every single religion still practices forms of religious extremism. What, exactly, are you hinting at?

Sure, extremism has declined significantly, but it is still an active trait around the globe. Should we focus on a specific group? If so, why?

I

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We should focus on the specific religious faith whose adherents slaughter tens of thousands of people in dozens of countries around the globe every year.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

One of the few times I really LOL.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

change the channel :D

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That program is on everywhere I turn it to.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I try, but I keep coming back! Dunno why! This place is worse than crack, I swear!