Obama pledges $8 billion for nuclear power plant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-obama-nuclear17-2010feb17,0,356519.story

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's sad we haven't had a plant built here since the 80's. Doesn't france get like 60% or higher of its energy from nuclear power?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Better late than never. I think $8b is too little, however.

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This is just one plant. I'm sure he wants to build more.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

According to the BBS this is just another $8b secured in addition to funds that haven't been spent yet. The actual total is around $51B.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

So 8-10 plants. Not a bad start. By the time they are built they will probably cost about twice the amount. I'm not even sure there are enough nuclear engineers around to allow for the concurrent construction of more than a few plants at a time. What's the average age in the industry, something like 50-55?

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sorry, I was thinking of the average age of the personnel, not the plant. We are going to have to get the schools moving to staff all these new plants.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bah, only 13 active applications from utilities for reactors right now. And still 2 years away from a the NRC granting the first permit.

While they have dropped in the last year from 18 permit applications due to "financial" difficulties.

Couple few may get built with loan guarantees, but with the current short term 90day/1 quarter mentality in the financial circles these days ... handling a $10 billion chunk of change on a 20-30 year horizon might make people nervous these days.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

About time, too. Nuclear reactors are more advanced and safer now, even tho there's no foolproof methods to prevent another disaster, it's practically on same failure rate as airplanes. I do foresee micro fusion reactors built under cities in future.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I think more standards should be set as far as personnel go:
    [​IMG]

12. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

To the extent this is a productive step toward building more nuclear plants in the U.S. This is good.

I'm sceptical, though. The regulatory and legal hurdles make the financial side of the equation look easy.

Obama has always included nuclear power in his plans and rhetoric, but I haven't been convinced he's willing to mount the full-court press it will take to even break ground on a single new plant.

Nice start. Good luck. We'll see how it goes.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP