Obama prepares for executive order on guns?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Dec 17, 2015.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I doubt it'll amount to much of anything other than yet another feel good "hey, at least we're doing SOMETHING about all this crazy violence" gesture.

The moment it pops out of his mouth, those with concerns will pitch a fit, it'll be dragged before SCOTUS, and probably deemed in violation of the 2nd. Democrats look like they made an effort. Republicans look like they're fighting the good fight. Nothing gets done other than generating more talking points. POLITICS!

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

wonder how many white men will be turned in hording ammo and guns?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

SCOTUS is not interested in dealing with challenges.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yeah, because we all know how they've played it safe over the last 20 odd years, concerning everything from gun control to gay marriage.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they don't get that involved in guns, at least not that I have seen

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

What would law enforcement do anyway, past keeping an eye on them. No one wants another Waco type of situation. It's only if someone with a lot of weaponry and ammo actually starts something that the authorities are likely to step in because, no other option.

So LE gets all this military stuff from the government, and that makes the hoarders nervous and angry so they buy more stuff? The percentage of households with guns is more or less stable so it's the same people amping up their inventory. What a mess, and it's not even a mess yet.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The weird thing about SCOTUS decisions involving gun control is that it weirdly aligns with conservative ideals regarding the division between the states and government, while biting them in the ass over it at the same time.

Basically, they've gone on record stating that the federal government can't impede the 2nd amendment, which means any executive action Obama takes will probably be struck down if it's too vague or widespread.

But on a state and local level? Well hell, that's up to them. SCOTUS usually doesn't get involved.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I hope so! About time someone in government has the gonads to actually do some work

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The idea is fine the means are the issue. I understand he can't get anything done but if he does this then nothing will get done for a long while.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nothing will be done until if/when the Republican Party collapses.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But it won't

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

And some kids get shot.

Lets not forget that bit.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So let's say Rubio wins the nomination and Hilary still wins. Then what?

The Republican base is clearly still super angry even though Rubio comes across better than Romney. I can't see them going for someone remotely electable again - even if they do this time.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But you're forgetting congress and the senate. The pres needs those to get work done and it's highly unlikely that the dems will get super-majorities in either let alone both. To top that if Clinton is elected she'll not be able to get anything done because the right likes her even less than Obama. If we elect Clinton we'll have a minimum of 4 more years of inaction

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see Rubio winning. He's too green but he has studied. A lot. He speaks so much better than he did just a few months ago. That said, he's the Republican Obama, a Senator with no executive experience. I can't see the base getting behind him, they'll stay home.

18. Eraserhead, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't really see how it'll be different with a Republican president as the Democrats are unlikely to cooperate. Rubio is too green and is the Republicans Obama as @rdowns points out, and the other front runners are too extreme.

I can see Rubio doing well for the Democratic-Republican party nomination in 2020 if the parties do merge.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Because the dems won't pick up the majority in the house or the senate. If we put an R in office he/she will have a friendly group of legislatures for at least 2 more years. If the whole of the dem base comes out then it will be different but Clinton can't even appeal to all her base let alone inspire the passion needed to motivate them.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The republicans will need 60 in the senate to get anything much done.

Besides in 2016 it's the 2010 senators being re-elected. And that was a year of the Republicans doing particularly well - the Democrats are pretty likely to get a majority in the senate.

21. TPadden macrumors 6502a

The whole gun control discussion is about the WRONG amendment; so far the only effective solution has been stop and frisk.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Not if they hold the presidency and the house.

I really don't see the dems getting the senate back but maybe people will surprise me. I see a Clinton presidency a thin margin for the R's in the senate and firm R house majority.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Republicans have 24 senators up for reelection. The Democratic Party has 10. The Democratic Party will win control with 15 wins vs 19 for the Republicans.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Guess we'll see in November

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But it doesn't even matter. Filibuster is so powerful that the republicans would need to win a further 6 seats in the senate to do much.