Obama raises $150 million in September

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Roderick Usher, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/obama-raised-record-150-million-in-september/?hp

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Holy crap that's quite a bit of money for a campaign. Is it even possible to spend it all in 16 days?

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Primetime TV Ads can chew-up a lot of cash in a hurry. Also, (and do not quote me on this) I think a candidate is allowed to maintain a campaign fund for future use. At some point however, the funds may need to be disposed of, and I am unfamiliar with how that works. Perhaps, another reader may know? I am curious too, now that you brought it up.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe Obama ought to try and raise funds to help pay down the national debt.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You are correct. They can hold some for future campaigns, but I'm not sure how much will actually be left. Half-hour long buys plus ad buys plus paid staff in almost all fifty states plus the territories plus plus plus really adds up.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd like to see that. :D
    I can't think of a more effective way to prove his campaign agenda than ye olde "Put your money where your mouth is". :p
    Might even pick up some of the undecided voters. ;)

8. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

So even after he SIGNED the document stating he wouldn't accept any public money, he is? and he refuses to acknowledge that he did it too...

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You're a little mixed up. He didn't accept public money. These are private donations.

What document do you think he signed stating that he wouldn't accept _private_ financing?

He certainly acknowledges that he's getting private donations--you know, like when he asks people to donate to his campaign.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You're forgetting about the 250 or so other words he wrote under his yes, which he also later clarified to mean so much more than you're implying.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you have to give McCain some respect in the fact that he stuck with Public financing unlike Obama who went back on his word on it.

I know when Obama made that statement that he would accept it if the Republican Candidate did he never expect them to do it.

On another note that 150 mil is an example of how much money is wasted on Campaigning. Imanage what better used that much money could be used for instead of wasted on just campaigning.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In the UK we have limits on election spending. I think this is a better system because it really prevents elections from becoming driven by money rather than policy.

More here

14. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I didn't read your whole link, but in the U.S. spending limits are generally unconstitutional. A candidate can spend as much of his/her own money on his/her own candidacy. (that's why with the limit for presidential, it's only if you accept federal funds) Laws can only affect contributions from other sources. This is a bigger issue in smaller races, and is why super-rich people have so much of an easier time getting started in politics.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Again, not really:

The Obama 'pledge'

Note the caveats.

And as for McCain:

FEC Warns McCain on Campaign Spending
    FEC chair: McCain can't drop out of public financing system
    McCain may opt out of public financing system
    McCain's commitment to public financing questioned

He actually has been all over the place with public financing, even so far as the DNC attempting to sue to get the FEC to look into his flip flopping on it (using it when he needed to, trying to get out of it, then using it again).

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I hope Obama sticks it to McCain.

I do see three or four Obama ads now for every McCain ad and I am not even in a battleground state. I am in the left leaning Bay Area in California. I assume the battleground states are flooded with Obama ads.

17. jplan2008 macrumors regular

This is amusing: McCain's campaign apparently sent a fundraising letter to the Russian envoy:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/McCain_camp_hits_up_Russian_ambassador.html?showall

On a day on which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis hinted that Obama was taking foreign money, the Russian Mission to the United Nations has released a standard-issue fundraising letter gone a bit astray: It was addressed to the Russian envoy to the U.N., Vitaly Churkin, at the mission's address, but without his title.

As the Russian newswire RIA-Novosti tells it:

Russia's permanent mission to the UN has received a letter from U.S. Republican presidential candidate John McCain asking for financial support of his election campaign, the mission said in a statement on Monday.

"We have received a letter from Senator John McCain with a request for a financial donation to his presidential election campaign. In this respect we have to reiterate that neither Russia's permanent mission to the UN nor the Russian government or its officials finance political activities in foreign countries," the statement said.

According to Ruslan Bakhtin, press secretary of the Russian mission, the letter dated September 29 and signed by McCain, was addressed to Vitaly Churkin, Russia's envoy to the UN, and arrived on October 16.

The ambassador's title was not included in the letter, and was not clear why the letter had taken over two weeks to arrive.

Enclosed was a request for a donation of up to $5,000 to McCain's election campaign to be returned with a check or permission to withdraw the money from the donor's credit card until October 24.

Bakhtin confirmed the story to Politico, and wouldn't comment on the added oddity of the error coming from the anti-Russian McCain. "We just find it amusing," he said.

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Since the donations come from the tax payers wouldn't that just be us paying off the debt through him? I'm sure the government would take your money just fine on a day to day basis without going through Obama. :D

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yeah, but we only have a six week campaign season, a relatively small country to get around and free advertising slots for candidates.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That sounds nice. Can we do that here please.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sure isn't a perfect solution
    in austria our coalition broke in mid July and elections were fixed on the 28 september (somewhere in between the official campaigns started .. unofficially of course before)

we elected and still don't know what government we are going to get since the coalition talks will very likely last until christmas

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am just sick of the 2 1/2 year campaign.

I do think we need some form of campaign finance reform. Everyone should have an equal shot at becoming president without having 300 million dollar war chests.

The job should not go to the person who raises the most money. I guess it is the American way now.:rolleyes:

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is also the issue of the parties being able to spend at will too.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And that is why we have not had a viable 3rd party candidate.

The whole system is corrupt and needs fixing.