Obama raises $25 million

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 4, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Will the nominee come from who raises the most money or who has the best campaign.

CNN
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign announced Wednesday that it raised at least $25 million in the first quarter of 2007.

The total comes close to the $26 million raised by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign in the same time period and calls into question the New York Democrat's status as her party's front-runner in 2008.

The Obama for America campaign said more than 100,000 individual donors had contributed to the 2008 presidential campaign of the senator from Illinois.

"This overwhelming response, in only a few short weeks, shows the hunger for a different kind of politics in this country and a belief at the grass-roots level that Barack Obama can bring out the best in America to solve our problems," said Penny Pritzker, Obama for America's finance chair, in a news release.

Since Obama announced his presidential bid on February 10, his campaign has raised $6.9 million over the Internet from more than 50,000 donors, it said. The online fundraising is included in the $25 million total.

Dan Balz, political correspondent for The Washington Post, said: "I think the challenge for him is to figure out how to bottle up this enthusiasm and turn it into something that can sustain him for a much longer period."

The first quarter of the 2008 fundraising cycle is considered by many to be a reliable benchmark to assess a candidate's viability. The quarter closed at midnight Saturday.

Clinton also transferred an additional $10 million from her Senate war chest to post $36 million in the first quarter.

But Obama's fundraising prowess was the second blow in as many days to Clinton's aim to become the Democrats' "inevitable candidate."

A poll released Tuesday indicated Clinton's once double-digit lead in the key primary state of New Hampshire has eroded since February, while rival John Edwards has made a run toward the head of the pack.

Attached Files:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hee-hee. Ol' Hillary must be feeling the heat! I love it! Obama '08!

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Wow. I hate to be hanging on fundraising numbers, but I was kind of worried that Obama's campaign might be fading. Those big numbers will give him a shot at California.

4. emmawu macrumors 6502

I wish all the candidates would take public funds. I don't think political offices should be for sale. I for one, can certainly not afford to contribute a lot of money.

"Money doesn't talk, it swears" Bob Dylan

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Everyone in America makes $25 million. Even Warren Buffett. Big deal.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So you want taxes to pay for the candidates? The problem is that elections are won by who raises the most money not by who has the better issues.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That's why the USA isn't a democracy; it's a plutocracy.

9. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

A black president? :eek:

:p

I love me some blazing saddles....:D

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Come on, did you watch 24 the TV show then?

We had 2 black presidents :D

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Fantastic!

I was watching Tucker Carlson's show on MSNBC a few days ago while I was waiting at the vet's office. Sen. Clinton's numbers had just come in. They were all guffawing at her numbers - and projecting Obama at around 10 million I believe, which got me worried.

Barrack in '08!!

:)

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yup. I'm pulling for him too! I can hardly wait to watch the top three or four Dems blow through $400 Million trying to convince the poor who's the best candidate to help them out.

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I just don't get it. The media has been saying lately that history has proven that the candidates who've raised the most amount of money usually becomes president. I'm the one that's doing the voting and I never see any of that money. :confused:

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Better than Republicans blowing through just as much money trying to convince big business which one of them is going to give the biggest tax cuts that only benefit the ultra rich.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's ok. I'd certainly take him over most of the rest of them, but there are still some things that bug me about him, though not enough for me to want to vote against him. Mostly though, I wonder if he's got a shot. The Independents and moderate conservatives might give it to Rudy, who can ride 9/11 straight through to the Presidency, which trust me, that's not something we want. Maybe the country is so sick of neocons we can actually get over our racism and misogyny to give the guy a shot. Hoping he doesn't blow it, but he certainly talks a good game, will probably surround himself with some good people, and has a lot to prove. Course the guy before him set the bar pretty low, but I'm sure the attack dogs will still be out in full force.

As for Hillary, I personally can't stand her, and don't trust her, but she wouldn't be that horrible a Pres, which is a sentiment shared by most of the rest of us apparently.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'd rather have Hillary than any Republican, but I'd prefer Obama.

I'll pretty much be happy as long as any Democrat wins.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What bugs you about him? Don't leave us hanging like that. :mad:

18. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Can any Americans please explain why anyone is voting for Hillary? It seems to me that she is simply unelectable given her past. Do people not like Obama because he is black?

It would be a tragedy for the Dems to make the same mistake they did last time. In no way should Kerry have been the candidate. Dean should have been it, since he would have actually stood up to Bush and called him out (which Kerry failed to do).

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Probably for the same reason people can't get their eyes off a car accident or why a deer gets caught in headlights.

Dean... You're talking about Howard Dean?

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, regardless of what you think about her politics, she's definitely well qualified for the job. I think the association with her husband (who was, and continues to be, very popular with Democrats) is a big part of her popularity. There's also the factor that she's probably the strongest female to run for the presidency, the first ever with a real legitimate shot at winning.

Well, based on the article that kicked off this thread, it would appear that a lot of people do like Obama. His popularity has really skyrocketed over the last few years. There are no doubt some people who dislike him because he's black, but there are also some valid concerns about his candidacy due to his lack of experience.

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

What do you mean? Has he specifically said that he's not going to run this time?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I hold out some hope that the race card isn't going to be played in this election, even though I know it's almost inevitable. Why Obama is even considered "black" is a mystery to me. He's no more black than he is white. In fact, his mixed race says a lot about America in the 21st century, and his popularity should be taken as a signal that many Americans view the racial politics of the 20th century as obsolete. I wonder if we've grown up enough as a nation to see it. Time will tell.

As for experience, his life experience is his main selling point.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't bother to ask -- he's just trolling.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly, Ralph Nader can kiss my a**.