Obama, reaching outside the bubble

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think the guy's gonna be all right. ;)

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

He's always struck me as quite un-presidential in that sense - but in a good way. Seems like a man who built his career on, in part, getting out and listening to people's concerns, and its great that he's still doing that even as president. Good stuff, a lesson to politicians everywhere!

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good...last thing we need is more of the cookie cutter model of presidents in recent past

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How can this be a bad thing? Better than being in one of Dick Cheney's undisclosed locations or this:

“I’m the commander — see, I don’t need to explain — I do not need to explain why I say things. That’s the interesting thing about being president.”
    — George W. Bush

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(shudders in disbelief)

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You guys are lucky! Im not sure Gordon Brown even knows people hate him in our country, he walks around Parliment calling himself the "Saviour of the world banking system" (yes he actually said that during a meeting of all government ministers (PM Question Time))

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Wow. That's got some serious epitaph potential, almost certainly ironic.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even though Washington Post has now got registration, that's a really fascinating article regardless of your politics. It goes to show the work that goes on behind the scenes to keep a presidency running from day to day.

With all that, I don't blame him for wanting to get out of the bubble.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What an elitist! I mean, seriously, 25 assistants? Which one is in charge of bringing him his latte and his arugula?

And what's with all this disrespecting the office by staying up late and working? He should just do like all good presidents do, and be in at 7am and out at 4pm, in bed by 9pm. Oh, and how good of a president can he really be if he doesn't wear a jacket into his office? Sheesh. It's not like he has better things to be concerned with...

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He's too busy going on all those faaaaabulous weekend Chicago vacations, dahlink! :rolleyes:

13. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Blue Velvet,

did you deliberately cut out the part where Obama cures the lame and makes the blind see between his breakfast and the late morning press meeting?

Sorry for that that, but I've spent too much time being a left-leaning cynic to let that kind of crap pass without comment...

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's your point? I thought it was a pretty solid description of a typical day inside the White House, which I found interesting just from a process point of view and not the kind of fawning you profess to despise. I'm also aware that the demands of keeping 7 and 12 year old kids also cooped up in the same bubble may place tensions on any family.

Good to see him taking a courtside seat as well, rather than a box.

[​IMG]

I would have been equally interested in a behind the scenes look at the day to day running of the last administration, but they were far more opaque, and am also curious as to how Gordon Brown manages his day, only because I'm nosy about what goes on behind the curtain... but I will leave the last word about cynics to Obama:

;)

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Aw man, I was hoping he would be drinking good beer. :(
    (I'm assuming that what's in his hand is a macro pilsner like Bud, Miller, or Coors)

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, but see if he's caught drinking something other than that which "real Americans" drink, he'll be castigated as an elitist just as surely as if he ate some kind of fancy-sounding lettuce rather than good old American iceberg...

17. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Sorry for the late answer, I didn't find enough time yesterday.

My point is that the article you quoted could as well be written by Obama's PR team. On the one hand the hard working, advice seeking politician with a sense of responsibility, on the other hand the caring family father, whose greatest wish is a regular evening meal with his wife and daughters. And with all the luxury and comfort the White House offers, the Obamas manage to lead a simple and humble life, while still respecting and befriending the house staff.

Honestly, am I really so wicked that my bulls**t alarm goes off when I read that?

I'm not criticizing Obama, I just hate the kind of idolizing the article exhibits. Let us not forget that this man has the means to bomb a country or two to pieces, just like his predecessor has done, and that he will have to make unpopular and controversial decisions in the future. Once his popularity drops, people will judge him based on the image that they have right now at the beginning of his presidency, and an overly perfect image now will only lead to higher disappointment later.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

A simple rundown of his day upsets you?:confused::confused::confused::confused: