Obama: religious organizations must provide birth control in health care plans.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Feb 8, 2012.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No one yet?? OK, I'll start this one.

Well, I would say about the point that they take money from Federal funds would be the right.

How about you out there??

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The vast majority of Catholics use contraceptives. Many employees of Catholic organizations are not Catholics. What's the fuss? If anyone thinks that birth control is going to bring moral chaos to the Catholic church, they have a screw loose. If anything, I think all this faux moral outrage is just an opportunity to put the Catholic church in a positive light. After all, preteen boys aren't going to get pregnant.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Birth control doesn't lead to more sex, it leads to fewer abortions. Dumbasses.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That's right! Who is bitching about this anyway? Catholics?

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Republicans of course.

6. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, Males anyway. Let's be fair.

What? Only Catholic Males can speak-out for their Church?

Too bad ...... that. :rolleyes:

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You cant stone someone that works on sunday you can't bash your enemy's baby's head against a rock you can't rape then marry your wife you can't sell your daughter into slavery. so how is this any worse?
    Catholics cause so much suffering in third world countries with the whole birth control thing. it is about time to realize we don't live in 200 ad.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I see the operative word here as "provide". It doesn't say you have to forcibly shove pills down the poor sod's throat. Why can't the church leaders let the recipients think for themselves and come to their own conclusions? Maybe critical thinking is a Pandora's box they just don't want to open.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't see an issue here. It does help against pregnancies which could potentially help against abortions.

However, that being said, those who have this on their plan can continue to refuse to use birth control. It isn't forcing them to use it.

11. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, ya see, this is against God's plan (i.e. The Catholic Church).

First they want you to get you pregnant.

Then they want to make you carry to term.

There is a link.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Tends to boost membership numbers.

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I fear that this country is headed towards a political, religious, and scientific divide.

America is so isolated, that there are people in the country that don't realize that there are many individuals who have different ideas. Religion is dying, and rightfully so, but through death, they're fighting back. And fighting hard.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think it's really about the Catholics. My guess is that anything that interferes with, "Go forth and Multiply" is seen as an attack on right wing fundamentalist christians who have a high birth rate.

Also, for them, any mandate that doesn't come from god is inherently evil.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

From a busines perspective, I have a problem with the government dictating to anybody what drugs they MUST provide for free.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I love how Catholics love to throw around the term "constitutional rights" when it's convenient for them. They seem to gloss over the fact that they are pretty active in denying "constitutional rights" of others - especially those who don't share their beliefs.

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Would you prefer to have female employees who miss more work due to health issues related to a lack of BC or due to the myriad of problems many women have that require them to use BC other than to prevent pregnancy? From a business perspective, how many more pennies per person will the insurance cost? Wouldn't a single avoided pregnancy pay for any additional expense related to BC coverage?

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And I have a problem with employers dictating what constitutes healthcare. Let the church give up its tax-exempt status, self-fund its employee heath plan, let them dictate coverage, and we'll see how they attract employees.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The church shouldn't even be tax exempt, but no politician would touch that issue with a 10 foot pole right now. Maybe in 100 years.

I'm gonna buy the pope a calendar for his bday to remind him what year it is.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Perhaps. I still feel that the choice to provide it at no charge should rest with the insurance company, not with Mr. Obama.

By this logic, everyone who is on any type of ongoing maintenance medication should also be provided their drugs for free. If that's what the insurance company wants to do, I don't oppose it; I oppose the government picking and choosing which prescriptions the insurance company has to provide for free.

I never said anything about the church, nor do I think their influence is relevant here.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh well, too bad. Basic medical care is called basic for a reason. It must be part of all health insurance plans at no additional cost, just like a ton of other stuff. The opinions of a lot of people were considered, and the health and welfare of women came first.

Do you really want to argue against the health and welfare of your moms, daughters and wives?

22. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) 28 states have laws requiring insurance companies to cover OCP's
    2) When one is paying (directly or indirectly) for insurance, and paying the required medication copay, the med is not "free"
    3) This thread is directly about the church reaction to this mandate. I started my quote responding to you ancerning employers. Then I redirected to the topic of the thread.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Contraceptives are hardly expensive, basically everyone in the world has access to them. There is no reported difficultly of even the poorest in the world having no access to them.

You are going to spend more money in administrative fees for charging for contraceptives than the cost of giving them away.

+1, I don't think you can legitimately argue that contraception isn't basic healthcare.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No. I will, however, argue with the President mandating what insurance companies must provide for free and what they may require copays for.

Saying that Obama is overstepping his bounds by dictating insurance company copays is not the same as saying I oppose coverage in the first place. Stop being so melodramatic.

On second thought, stop being such a second grader. :rolleyes:

Correct. Which means the insurance company recovers this loss by raising everyone's premiums, regardless of whether they receive this benefit. Which is precisely why I oppose the Presidental Decree.

I wouldn't have a problem with having the insurance companys provide prescription coverage with a copay, same as any other prescription; but Obama wants to prohibit charging a copay for them. That's the part I oppose.

Then perhaps you should re-read my carefully-worded statement:

and if you don't have anything relevant to say about my comment, then leave it alone.

So, because it's cheap they should be prohibited from charging anything at all?

Tell you what: since "contraceptives are hardly expensive," why even have insurance companies cover any of the cost? Because that's a ridiculous rationale, that's why.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The only way to guarantee that people have access to something, regardless of their poor budgeting, is to make it free.

Some people (e.g. teenagers) might not have any money at all to buy contraceptives with.

That's what government regulation is always all about.

You could make the same argument about access to safe food.