Obama removes Military Gay Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AFPoster, Jul 23, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 68000

Any thoughts on this? I know I don't support it but I have my reasons from what I saw in Iraq.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would like to hear your story.

I see no reason why gays shouldn't serve if they choose.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

In Iraq our base was split up like a pie with 3 cuts (we will say 50%, 35% & 15%). The entire base was Air Force (I served AF as well) so 50% was living quarters, chow hall, some stores and offices for the Air Force, the other 35% was the airfield, top secret facilities, work buildings and since we have maybe a handful of marines and navy they lived in this section this piece was for all branches and 15% was living quarters for Army. The Army had over 7 rapes a week by closet gays (what I mean by this is people who are gay but won't openly admit it). So if you were Army you would not only have to protect yourself while you're on a Convoy but now when you are in your living quarters you have to worry about getting raped. I will explain how it happened below. So if you allow openly gay people in the military you really need to worry about it because you aren't just protecting your country anymore but your butt as well.

Now I am not saying this will happen with every gay person. There were gay guys in the Air Force that I knew that were Master Sergeant's, Chief's, Colonel's, etc who never (to my knowledge) did stuff like that. I am not saying it's an Army thing either, it happens in all branches just at my base it was Army that was constantly having those issues. I am just saying if we allow openly gay men in the military it's something else we have to focus on which takes us away from the mission at hand.

How they got raped - Our showers were the size of a prota-john but all open with just a curtain as the door. When a member was showering someone would come in (never caught) and butt stock the person in the face repeatedly until knocked out and then rape the individual.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No option under DADT.

In what way are US troops in Iraq protecting their country? :confused:

You might as well be.

This happened seven times a week and nobody got caught? Sounds a little far-fetched to me.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How many female service-people were raped in a comparable period? Do you have any kind of source for your statistics other than anecdote?

7. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Exactly. Not all gay men are rapists, just as not all straight men are rapists. I'm glad to see the ban lifted.

8. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

you asked for my story I gave it. whether you believe it or not is up to you, but that's my story.

2-3 women I think a month. Men it happened the most on. All I got was weekly reports for commanders in meetings. The number they gave they said was an estimate on what they believed was happening a couple people would report about it and then my guess is they added a few on top of that number for those that didn't tell anyone. To my knowledge no one got caught either, then again I am not Army and I never was involved or knew anyone involved in the arrests of people on that side, so maybe someone did, but since I don't know for sure I went with no one got caught. As for the women when I first arrived a female contractor was raped and beaten by a male contractor and then after that it was just a monthly thing I always heard about on the women side.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A rape a day in what is probably one of the most security conscious places on earth, where the names of every single person in the area is known and no one has ever been caught?

If it really happened who is investigating these crimes, the Keystone Cops headed by Inspector Clouseau?

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If it is pure anecdote, it is entirely worthless to this discussion.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It sounds like the only people in the military who aren't rapists are women? Correct? So, I say we ban all of the men....

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So the commanders added rapes by gay people to the number of reported rapes, but they don't for women? How many women do you think actually get raped, but don't report it?

13. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

If we're going to ban by statistics, then yes. It's discriminatory beyond belief, but it'd work.

14. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would assume not.

15. 184550 Guest

Sounds like someone forgot to take their medication this morning. ;)

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, it's obvious that the closeted gay rapists were investigating their own crimes and covering them up.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you have anything to offer not based on assumption?

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You just said it yourself that they added to the number of rapes by gay people because they assume more of it went on, but were not reported.

How come they don't do this for women as well? A lot of women don't report being raped either.....

19. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree, but I have no idea why they didnt. I don't think for this guys nor read minds on why they do what they do. I have no hard evidence either only from what I was informed of by my commanders.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If true, perhaps you should question your commanders rather than accepting this BS without hesitation and publishing it as fact.

21. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

I never published this as fact first off. You said let's hear it and I gave my opinion. Remember that.

22. 184550 Guest

Where did he claim any of what he said was fact? :confused:

It seems pretty clear to me that all of what he's stated thus far is personal experience and has been represented as so.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Looks like an assertion of fact to me.

24. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

My apologies skunk I meant that as seeing paperwork. I can now see the miscommunication.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Next time, steal the paperwork and post a .pdf... ;)