Obama request more money for retiring presidents as he approaches retirement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pooleman, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

The stupid burns again...

In 2017 the number of former presidents will rise by 25% (from 4 to 5) while the expenditure hike will only be 18%. Looks like a cut to me.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

trying to find other then right wing sources.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The comments section is scary and hysterical.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The presidency shouldn't come with a paycheck. It should be a volunteer position.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

actually it should be non voluntary. maybe lottery.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe Congress could do means-testing, or even a skill-based requirement.

I can see the House Resolution:
    Whereas, the 44th President of the United States of America has retired;
    and Whereas, said President no longer holds a Position of OngoingAuthority in the said Government thereof;
    THEREFORE:
    Be It Resolved That:
    The aforementioned former President should get the hell off his sorry ass and book some frikkin' speaking engagements, like every other Congress-critter and retired Senator manages to do, or So Help Me God you're gonna be grounded for a month of Sundays.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Why would anyone be surprised that a President from the ME generation would give himself a big forever raise...

Means testing all politicians for pensions should be mandatory. They will end up means testing social security by the time most of you ate eligible to collect.

8. thermodynamic, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Clinton did have the President's salary raised while in office (from $200k to $400k/yr)? http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2001/01/a_presidential_salary_faq.html (though it didn't benefit Clinton nearly, nearly as much as future presidents, and the article has some inflationary comparisons... now think of what the working class has seen over the last few decades and wince.)

True, the 1980s never ended with the boomers and they sold out the future generations, did they? Thanks to exorbitant costs and diminishing wages, while seeing huge profits, proving that "trickle down" has been an utter joke (as people knew it back then with calling it "voodoo economics" and how renaming the same-old to "supply side economics", "free market economics", "new economy", etc, have all ended up no different. Worse, blaming everyone else and doing nothing to really show what's wrong (because to do so would prove how hypocritical and greedy they are, as typical for their generation) ranks right up there with a certain company's CEO knowing of a product's defect when told by an engineer, ignoring him and having it released anyway, then blaming the customers when they reported the problem by telling them how they were holding it wrong. We do not need more people acting like that. Thankfully not all of that generation fits those stereotypes, and even then...

Maybe means testing for duty. People seem to want honesty, if not politicians working for Main Street rather than just solely Wall Street. We don't know how many of the current crop o' candidates are or are not, but they all have mentioned the issues that have working class families. It would be the biggest irony if Trump flip-flopped and ended up taking advantage of people, what with his own comment about how people don't like being taken advantage of. I think everyone of us here would work with the incoming administration of our own free will, but how many people like being taken advantage of? And how would they respond? And would they all respond the way some have for some of Trimp's events?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why are we paying a life salary to presidents who can earn more in one hour than most Americans will earn in 10 years.

At best their salary should be the average salary of a US worker over their term.

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Hey all you wingers with bunched undies, here's a deal for you: Let Obama stay in office and draw salary so he doesn't get any retirement money. Everybody wins!

12. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

No. I think it's just as bad no matter who does it. And I don't mind rich people. I find it disgusting when congress voted themselves a huge raise.

The Obama family has already been raping the treasury for 7 years. Now he wants to rape it forever. He's a pig. His wife has about 74 personal assistants. It's gross abuse of power. I'd say the same thing if some republican pig and his pig wife and their pig kids wasted millions on junkets all around the world. But right now it just happens to be a democrat pig in the White House with his pig wife and his pig kids spending millions on junkets all around the world.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2016 ---
    Wow. We all lose with hat one. I'd like to fire everyone in congress with no retirement. Same for the judicial and executive branch. Let's start fresh.
    Everyone in office should have to take an IQ test and a drug test every quarter. Who was heat idiot senator who though the island of Guam was going to capsize? Fools!!!!

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let's look at the list of living former POTUSes, yes?

Jimmy Carter: Surviving a hellish cancer. You'd be a very cold-hearted person to not want him to live a long life.
    GHWB: Had a couple of scares, but for his 90th birthday decides to tandem jump out of a plane.
    Bill Clinton: Laid low, had a multiple bypass surgery.
    GWB: Laid low, no ill health.

People are wanting to blast Obama about this, but what the hell ever happened to the Republican's credo of taking personal responsibility for your actions? Seriously, GHWB jumping out of a plane at 90 getting a raise is okay, but blast Obama for 'generation me'?

Second, your definitely are oblivious to post #2 in this thread because you'd rather put your fingers in your ears and not listen to what actually happened, with Obama making a CUT instead of a raise.

But do go on about this being all about him, when it benefits your guys as well.

BL.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then the only candidate will be Donald trump.
    That's ridiculous. Ex presidents have to fly first class on the plane for starters.

15. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I don't the increase is for all 5 of them. I think it's per person.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's pretty clear the secret service is overstretched already.
    That makes no sense at all.

17. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I don't see what bush jumping out of a plane has to do with taping the treasury.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Bush being retired and putting himself in danger of injuring himself gets paid off our dime if he is reckless with his life. Or do you not realize that with his retirement off of the taxpayer's dime, he funded his jump out of a plane?

Oh wait: Obama is the pig. :rolleyes:

BL.

19. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I don't think the proposed increase is meant to be spread around between the remaining presidents. I think each president gets that amount of money quoted ($500,000 approximately).
    How do you know Bush didn't pay for it himself? Don't the Bushes have all that oil money? I honestly don't know. I'm against all abusive spending. I don't think bush should be using taxpayer money to jump out of planes. I don't think Obama should be using tax payer money to vacation in Hawaii every year.
    Obama is a pig.
    So is Bill.
    So is Hillary
    So is Dubya
    So is Bush 1.
    Peanut head is an idiot but I don't think he is a pig.

20. Robisan macrumors 6502

He could have died and saved us some money...

21. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I like this.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

How is your IQ test going to help? Do you think that alleviates bias or provides anything other than a very rough gauge of reasoning skills? Beyond that how do you know they aren't being disingenuous or facetious?

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

People with high IQ can be pretty stupid.
    Oh please.

24. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

It's a start. You gotta start somewhere. And if people knew how stupid many of these elected officials were they'd probably not vote for them.