Obama Resigns from Trinity Church

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 31, 2008.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Another smart move by Obama today. Now just about the only people who'll be still making a BFD about Wright or Pfleger will be people who would never vote for Obama -- or any Democrat -- ever. Plus every time the issue comes up, McCain's pastor problems will be mentioned. No net gain for anyone to attack over the pastor issues.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

What puts me off about this is that he's just now quitting the church. I don't even care about Rev Wright's statements or anything like that. It just seems like if he had heard him say that stuff and it wasn't public, he wouldn't quit.
    Barack Obama is obviously not a muslim, but it seems like his religion is dictated by the campaign

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

That is hardly unique.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I agree with you. Obama should have done this years ago.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The issue is he sat there for 20 years and it was all fine with him until he's the potential Democratic candidate for president and these characters wouldn't temper their rhetoric. I don't like what I hear from that church being all white and all... He's purely resigning out of convenience and necessity for the viability of his candidacy. The DNC should have had the foresight to have nipped this in the bud four years ago when he was making presidential overtures.

The bigoted white hate rhetoric he's listened to for 20 years has certainly tainted my view of his character. I don't like his wife one bit either. Something about her rubs me the wrong way.

Let the nastiness begin - I think I'd be going with the old guy if elections were held tomorrow. Things may change in the next five months and unlike the gullible wide-eyed "yes we can" fanatics, I am keeping an open mind.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, you could level a similar charge against the "old guy", as he was slow to sever ties with his own questionable pastor/advisor connections. Not that I am advocating a tit-for-tat here...

From reading your post, it seems as if the media focus on the Wright issue, and on some of his wifes comments have had an effect on you - whether they should is up to you to decide - though I'd think long and hard about it...

As for the character issue at large - I can see why that would be important to you - and to many. I still have to wonder by what metric you judge a candidates character, however...I have to wonder how many peoples' character would hold up under constant barrage and spin by the media and opposing camps...as such, I am surprised we don't think they are all complete dicks.

Seriously, I feel that Obama has done pretty well so far in dealing with the travails of the campaign trail - certainly better than Hillary. Remember, McCain has had a slightly easier go of it thus far - his primary has long been settled. I guess we'll see how it goes once the "nastiness" begins...

Lastly, I have to ask, even allowing for the importance of "character" - what place the issues have for you - As McCain and Obama have some pretty significant differences. You seem to imply that you could go either way, depending - which I find pretty remarkable considering what my last sentence really entails. Care to clarify?

As for the OP - this just seems like another reason that Religion should be left out of the Political Sphere. It just distorts what's important - finding the best person for the job. Sure, it may provide insight to character sometimes, but it's not exactly an accurate or relevant barometer of job fitness.

GWB and Carter were both religious presidents. Neither of them were among our best.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Good, now lets just hope he actually gets the nomination...

9. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, if you're gonna go there, we can talk about the issue being that McCain sat with his lobbyists for 20 years and it was all fine with him until he's the potential Republican candidate for president and these characters wouldn't stop lobbying while working for him. I don't like what I hear from those lobbyists. He's foreswearing them now out of convienence and necessity for the viability of his candidacy. The RNC should have had the foresight to have nipped this in the bud 20 years ago when he almost lost his seat in Congress over lobbyist influence.

The corporate and extreme wealth folks he's listened to for 20 years has certainly tainted my view of his character. I don't like his wife one bit either. She strikes me as a severe elitist with her 6 houses and private aircraft. I bet her haircuts cost at least $400.

Not unlike the gullible "everything is fine in Iraq" fanatics, I am keeping an open mind.

Ah yes... nothing like insinuating that those who don't swill the same kool-aid as you are gullible fools being led by the nose. It makes it so much easier to view them as somehow... inferior.

Eh, like I said, those who never would have supported Obama will still have a problem with Obama's pastor while simultaneously finding McCain's pastor/lobbyists problems to be "no big deal".

But this does expose the connections Hillary supporters are finding on the right. Of course, they'll turn on her in a heartbeat were she to actually manage to get nominated. And of course many of the Hillary supporters are happy to accept this support. Which is just one more reason I can't support her.

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^ I think it is YOU my dear friend swilling of the Koolaid.

You are so one sided and close minded & it is your type that truly scare me.

I don't like McCains wife either but you just assumed. Drink on. She at least can keep her mouth shut.

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Does anybody else find it a tad depressing that somebody's church or religion, or lack of, is important in a Presidential race?

Surely there are more important questions than bloody lapel pins and church ministers?

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Nor should race but I personally know some people who will vote for whoever is their color matched candidate.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This issue begs the question for me:

"Is there a chapel in the White House?".

To my surprise, there is not.

I'm surprised in that the POTUS team would have an easier time protecting the Presidential family, if every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, whateverday, they didn't have to leave the building.

It could be generic enough that a few trinkets and do-dads only need be shifted for a new President-Elect.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So some good has come out of the primary.

McCain can't use his ex-church against him in Nov(he could try, but Obama can say "I disagree so strongly I left that church"

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Too late for this IMHO.

Now it seems that public opinion is more important to him than his values and beliefs.

Not good.

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I see you do not understand sarcasm. The point of reversing your statement is to show that with these issues addressed, there is no longer a point of distinction to be made between the candidates this way, and we must look to other metrics to judge them by. Judging them by their associates isn't productive. Just as it's unproductive to compare McCain and Obama by their misstatements. Obama mixed up Buchenwald and Auschwitz; McCain mixed up Sunni and Shia. No advantage to either side, just as with this lobbyist/pastor issue.

But the funniest thing is that when your views were reflected back onto you, you recognize them as closed-minded and scary... but when you say the exact same thing but with the characters reversed you think it's a respectible Deep Thought.

Thanks for my belly laugh of the day. Don't drown in the kool-aid vat!

Assumed? Ok, maybe about the haircut, but do you doubt it? As for the rest of it, her tax returns show the 6 houses, and anyone with that level of wealth is, by definition, among the elite.

And you find that to be an admirable quality in a woman? I feel for you...

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^^ You accused my of drinking Kool-aid. I don't even like it.

Don't want to take time to write Deep Thoughts to retort obviously as bitter & opinionated a person as you appear to be. My thoughts are shallow off the top of my head and you're quite welcome for the belly laugh provided. Glad you can still laugh!

Must be the Kool-aid??:p

18. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you suggesting I'm clinging to guns and religion? How dare you sir! :)

What am I supposed to do other than laugh? You've just shown yourself to hold closed-minded and scary views. "No one could have anticipated" that you would have hung yourself so successfully with that statement.

Ah well, I suppose it's easier to dismiss me as bitter and opinionated instead of actually trying to debate on the substance of the issues... Carry on.

19. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

it seems so disingenuous. Obama knew the type of things his pastor said and didn't leave the church. so when rev wright resigns he says "i wouldn't have felt comfortable staying there if he hadn't resigned...but i cannot disown the man"
    then 6 weeks later, rev wright starts attacking obama and then obama says "this is not the same guy. our relationship has changed."
    and now he quits the church... what a fake.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thank you for the permission to carry on, sir.

Nader Rules!!:D

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha! Well then- who is that supports Hillary again? Wow- you've got a lot of nerve.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do we know the church has been strongly anti-white, or are you saying that off one comment?

Even so, is he anti-white?

Not at all.

Lets judge people based on what they do, not people they know and what those people say.

That doesn't really cut it. You should have a reason.

100 years in Iraq?
    No federal minimum wage?
    Keep the failed policy of Bush?
    Support a man who accuses the leader of Russia of rebuilding the USSR? Is that good international policy?
    Keep tax cuts, when we clearly need for money for our government?
    Keep NAFTA, which is causing the flow of illegal immigrant?
    Let healthcare and social society keep doing down hill?
    Against giving GI's a stronger education?
    Poor more money into the failed drug war?
    Do any of those seem like a good plan?

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I agree as well, although I can appreciate how difficult it would be to make such a decision. After attending that church for 20 years, I'm sure he feels like he's leaving not just a church, but a family. He's probably been excusing these comments for quite some time; just because he's been ignoring or excusing those comments, shouldn't necessarily be a reflection on his character.

24. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes. Much like a family member who you love, you ignore his or her racist/sexist comment, because you like the person, without those few negative aspects.