Obama said McCain was "right" nine times

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Beric, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You're kidding right? Because he acted civilized and non-partisan you're gonna hold that against him? What is wrong with you?

Would you rather he disagreed with or tried to ignore when McCain said something reasonable just because they're from different political parties? That's the type of partisan BS that got our country into all this trouble in the first place! Just because someone is your political opponent doesn't mean you shouldn't acknowledge that there's middle ground!

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Exactly, they "agreed" on broad general concepts that a 12 year old can identify, and yet this is leadership?

While I don't think Obama should have used that phrase so much, it says NOTHING about McCain's leadership skills.

4. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

I think the point was McCain took the leadership here and Obama could only copy his footsteps, humbly agreeing.

It's honorable to admit your opponent is right. But when you constantly have to agree with him because he knows and is saying and does everything better than yourself, then you have a problem.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

12 year old No. 1: "Chocolate is yummy."

12 year old No. 2: "I agree."

Who's the leader? :rolleyes:

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Wow man, I feel sorry for you. You are so blinded by, something, that you can't see objective reality. The worst implication a person could logically draw from his using that phrase 9 times over a couple of hours is that he wasn't prepared for how low the republican campaign machine was willing to sink since he didn't realize that they would take an honorable act of nonpartisanship and turn it into a dirty political ploy.

7. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

We could also count the number of times Obama said Bush and McCain in the same sentence. He is so hollow and transparent. I believe that as the debates go on, we will see more evidence that Obama can't think on his feet. He keeps falling back to his wild cards, each time he uses them they become worth less and less. Eventually he will be seen as the 2D puppet that he is.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Obama endorses McCain!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi.transcript/

A ringing endorsement indeed! Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

B

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You didn't even attach a conclusion to your statement. What do you want us to infer?

How is he hollow and transparent? What wild cards? Puppet of whom? Do YOU even know what you're talking about?

To the OP, most of those instances were in the later stages where McCain was given the question first, and it was obvious stuff like "Was it wrong of Russia to go into Georgia?" (paraphrasing). Besides, this couldn't even be considered "leading" if he hadn't spoken first because these are issues well developed where we already know the candidates' stances. You're really grasping at straws.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Obama listened better to the moderator and to McCain. The reason McCain didn't agree with Obama was mostly because he wasn't listening. He looked tired and wasn't on his game.

Obama disarmed McCain by agreeing and then set forth his own plan more often. McCain had fewer chances to distinguish himself from Bush and he should have mentioned how he didn't like how Rumsfeld ran the war. It would have garnered points for McCain. He had a chance to give his own vision of foreign policy, but it just fell apart.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the fact that McCain looked old and tired will turn a lot of people away from him especially with his shotgun approach to the financial crisis.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

It was kind of like the Nixon Kennedy debate in 1960, but not as dramatic. McCain just looked tired, where as Nixon looked tired because he had been up all night burglarizing office buildings. :)

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Unfortunately, I realize you are serious. Either that, or you have been engaged in a long-term hoax. However, I cannot imagine anyone pretending to be a republican, who really was not one. I would be like admitting you were a dolphin killer.

Enjoy what short-lived excitement you can find (fanciful by most standards), but brace yourself for the crushing agony of defeat you will feel come November.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The manufacturer of the chocolate! :D

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

McCain can't even look his opponent in the eye! How weak is that?!

Also loved his.... verbage (lulz) "festooned" "naivete" Hahahaha.

The only thing Obama did wrong was be too slack on the old man. I think his advisers will tell him that, though. We can expect more aggression from him next time, and McCain won't come out so happy. ;)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's called a vocabulary. Maybe you haven't gotten that far in school yet.

naiveté |ˌnīˌēv(ə)ˈtā; nīˈēv(ə)ˌtā| He pronounced it properly. Use your Dictionary.

festoon |fesˈtoōn|
    noun
    a chain or garland of flowers, leaves, or ribbons, hung in a curve as a decoration.
    • a carved or molded ornament representing such a garland.
    verb [ trans. ] (often be festooned with)
    adorn (a place) with chains, garlands, or other decorations : the room was festooned with balloons and streamers.

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

This type of argument is used quite often in forums as well as in debates... the goal of some people is to stake a claim to certain things and attempt to force someone else to defend the opposite.

As pointed out, it is a childish ploy.

As Obama showed, the best thing to do is to make issues on which you and your opponent agree non-issues. Spending needless time and energy battling over common ground is pointless.

But this shouldn't be unexpected from the far right. Substance is the last thing that matters to these people, I doubt they even care what issues were being discussed. They only care about winning, it is a contest or game to them. They don't care if they elect the worst people in the history of the world into office, as long as they win the race. Nothing else matters.

But you have to give them this much, while they may be destroying this country and the world by putting the worst people in positions of power, they have figured out what to do to hide the fact that their candidates ideologically have no clothes.

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

How quickly the Republican Party change their pathetic narrow-minded hypocrisy. It was only in the 2004 election that John Kerry was attacked for being too French ( :confused: ) but when Teh Maverick™ uses some French in his vocabulary it's leadership.

Standards? Mine's a double. :rolleyes:

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If that's true, then it's dishonorable when you know your opponent is right and won't admit it...something McCain does constantly, and not just in the debates.

And just because two people agree on some points doesn't automatically make the conservative the leader.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, it was more like:

12 year old No. 2: "I agree, but vanilla is better."

The VP debate will be:

12 year old No. 1: "Chocolate is yummy"
    12 year old No. 2: "I can see the Hershey factory from my house so I'm an expert in chocolate!"

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

McCain frequently used the line, "Senator Obama doesn't understand" to explain their differences of opinion. How do we rate that, a big hit for McCain because he managed to be so much more condescending? I think we saw an aspect of the real John McCain last night, the part where if you don't agree with him, it must be because you just don't "get it."

23. MBX macrumors 65816

Obama is way too nice to McCain.

It's something that i noticed during this debate. He should've been more distanced and cold to McCain like McCain was to Obama.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

That has been festering in me all night. Obama was way too nice to McCain. It's obvious McCain and the republicans want to go for the throat. The only way to fight fire is with fire.

Obama needs to stop being so polite and nice and go after him and spare no punches.

Then you will see Obama win the election.

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Unfortunately I am afraid it will be more like:

Moderator: "12 year old No. 1, this question goes to you first. Blah blah blah."
    Moderator: "The question was about the bailout..."