Obama: salesman of the year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wotan31, May 4, 2009.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I nominate Obama for Firearms salesman of the year!

If you peruse any of the internet gun forums, you'll find people are stockpiling guns that they think Obama may ban. They're driving prices through the roof with the demand. Through the roof I tell you!! I can no longer afford the one or two guns I was planning to buy because their price has tripled over the past few months. All because Obama has hinted at reinstating the assault weapons ban.

Do they honestly think that banning certain types of weapons will prevent people from committing crimes with them?? DC and Chicago implemented gun bans a few decades ago and their crime rates skyrocketed! Isn't that reason enough to avoid this nonsense? A criminal in DC can break into any law abiding citizens home and rob them at gunpoint - because he knows for a fact that the people inside are unarmed! How stupid is that??

Thanks a lot Obama, for causing this hysteria. :mad:

Attached Files:

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, its got nothing to do with right wing wackos spreading their FUD right? :rolleyes:

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Banning firearms has been in the back of Democrats minds for years and years now... It will only hurt our country in the long run, which is why it hasn't happened yet.

I do feel like there are definitely people out there in the world (just look in the news) that don't deserve to own a gun. However, to take the rights away from everyone is crazy, unconstitutional... Will never happen.

4. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

"President Obama and Vice-President Biden, “support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent,” the White House website declares." Source.

Where's the FUD? It's got nothing to do with left wing wackos who ignore the facts right? :rolleyes:

There are definitely people who don't deserve to own a gun. Convicted felons, for example. The current laws already support this. But banning guns in the name of reducing crime is preposterous. Criminals don't buy their guns at the gun store, going through the background checks and doing the paperwork. They buy them on the black market, with the serial numbers filed off. Gun laws are meaningless to criminals and only serve to hurt law-abiding citizens.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do not support gun bans. On this we can agree.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It would seem to me that while Obama might enjoy an ironic "Firearms salesman" award, the real "heroes" of this story are those who rushed out to buy as many guns as they could and actually affected the market.

Firearms blogs and various newsletters should get Miss Congeniality awards as well for spreading the fear, uncertainty, and doubt around.

7. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Amen!

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And yet, you think I'm some crazy liberal. :rolleyes:

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Watch any FOX news show when this topic is brought up. Theres your FUD.

What facts am I ignoring? I'm simply saying that the talking head right wingers with massive followings are a big reason why so many people are running scared to their gun stores.

I'm sorry, who was it that shot up Virginia Tech?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Might I also remind the OP of James Brady, Reagan's pal who supported gun control? Yes, he was a...CONSERVATIVE. Remember the Brady bill?

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well no doubt that'll give the economy a boost.....and hey, more demand for guns will lead to more jobs in gun factories...ya just gotta love that guy :p

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm fine with people owning pistols, rifles and shotguns, but who the hell needs an assault weapon? There is no legitimate reason for owning one.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, all gun laws are inconvenient, but I'd argue that reasonable identity checks—such as ascertaining that someone was recently incarcerated or in a mental health facility—are useful. I'd also argue that some weapons classes should be limited to only a few, for instance RPGs, MANPADS, or Squad Automatic Weapons (or derivations thereof).

In other words, I'm for enacting and maintaining many of the current laws and I'd argue against the "Assault Weapons Ban" because such the classification is amorphous at best.

14. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're ignoring the fact that Obama himself indicated his intention to review the assault weapons ban. That's the source of the buying frenzy. Not "Fox news" as your straw-man argument conveniently suggests.

Please provide statistics and sources for your correlation between Fox News viewers and gun owners / enthusiasts. If you don't, your entire argument is invalid. ;) See, it works both ways! :p

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do the same for your argument that people are running to the stores because there have been murmors of an assault weapons ban then.

Like it or not, the talking heads are the ones pushing it, as Obama has barely mentioned it given the magnitude of the other things he has on his plate. Its those shows that get the people riled up.

16. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, they do. Ever heard of a gun enthusiast? I've shot literally thousands of rounds of ammo at the range, using many different guns, because I enjoy target shooting. This includes assault weapons like AR-15's, MP5's, AK-47's, etc. I have never in my life shot a human, or even an animal, and have no plans to. It's purely an enthusiast hobby kind of a thing. Having the government dictate what I can and can't own is frustrating and pointless.

Using your logic, who the hell needs an eight-core i7 Mac Pro? Or a 65" plasma TV? Or a 450 hp sports car? There is no legitimate reason for owning one. 2 cpu cores are perfectly fine for everyone. And 36" is plenty of TV for anyone. And 170 horsepower is plenty for any driver on public roads. Anything larger should be banned.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against regulation. I'm against gun bans. I've known many people who've owned them, and I see no problem with responsible, trained gun ownership.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are any of those things designed with one thing in mind? To kill?

The situation changes when lethality comes into play.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't have a problem with responsible gun ownership either, I still don't see why one would need an assault weapon. Maybe it's because I don't like guns, have never shot one and don't ever want to shoot one, but I just don't understand the need for an assault weapon.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is there a "need" for anything anyone simply enjoys doing? No. As long as people are responsible and do no harm, I don't see a problem.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so drug dealers have given up assault weapons for Mac Pros??? Who would have thought!!! :rolleyes:

Still, one would think you'd be thrilled at the increased level of gun acquisition, given that you're a gun enthusiast.....or are you really just upset you might have to pay more for your favorite weapons?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I missed the part where drug dealers buy guns legally.

23. Wotan31 thread starter macrumors 6502

How is that any different than the ultra-liberals like MOVEON and others who are creating hysteria about other topics? I do watch Fox News some times (are you surprised? :p ) and gun laws are very rarely the topic of discussion. I can't even remember when they were last discussed. Most of the fox news "talking heads" discussion focuses around fiscal policy and international policy. But I digress.

The talking heads don't make the laws in this country, and there are plenty of talking heads on both sides of the fence. Maybe it's just because I watch only about one or two hours of TV a week, but I don't think talking heads are relevant.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm in the same boat as you. I dont like guns at all. I do understand that with the constitution we are entitled to self defense, i just dont get why you need an assault weapon for it.

Frankly I think our founding fathers would be terrified to see the killing power we let people own. I think a handgun for protection and a rifle for hunting are ok (i still dont like them) but when you bring in guns that are designed solely for the taking of human life (you dont shoot a deer with an ak 47) is when you ruffle my feathers.

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Lets just ban guns if it means we dont have to put up with pointless threads like this anymore