Obama says iPad, iPod and XBox adding to our social decline

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Pot calling the kettle black

:mad: I'm sure his kids have plenty of little gadgets that they are using as well. And like another person posted he is a blackberry junkie.
:apple: FTW

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think redistribution of wealth has done a lot more to contribute to our social decline than the iPad.

And will someone get the man an iPad please? Make sure it's a 64GB model. Those nuclear codes take up a lot of space... :D

bluefox9er

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
only an idiot would believe that ipad,ipods,play stations,xboxes etc don't enrich our ability to embrace culture, foster intolerance ( xbox live, anyone?) and make us more socially rounded and grounded.

weather the president owns an ipod is irrelevant..what he is stating is fundamentally true.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Good job, OP. What he was actually saying, if you were to read his entire quote, is that poor journalism and peoples ability to easily spread misinformation via the Internet is leading to a decline in well informed and intelligent citizens. As the OP has proven, by taking a small portion of his quote out of context and presenting that as the story, Obama (in this case) is totally correct.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Obama's quote overall doesn't bother me much. I think there's a point there.

However:

1 - I'd bet my dog that he knows how to work an iPod.

2 - I think the iPod and especially the iPad don't belong on this list. The iPod has, IMO, helped a lot of people dig deep into music they otherwise wouldn't have known about. More importantly, I think the iPad is well-designed for deep news consumption from quality publications.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
, by taking a small portion of his quote out of context and presenting that as the story, Obama (in this case) is totally correct.
Not totally. Hyperbole undermines credibility, and when it suits him he has an iPod and wHen it doesn't he disavows it? The man has no credibility and is just like any other politician who says whatever and plays fast with the truth.

And no, xboxes and ipads are not to blame. Parents are responsible, and this culture of lack of responsibility for one's actions is to blame. Who can I sue? Why doesn't the government do something about this or that? Actually it is Obama and his policies that are more to blame than an iPod or iPad.

Not that I have any strong opinions on the subject or anything... :rolleyes:

MrDeeds

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010

antiprotest

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Not totally. Hyperbole undermines credibility, and when it suits him he has an iPod and wHen it doesn't he disavows it? The man has no credibility and is just like any other politician who says whatever and plays fast with the truth.

And no, xboxes and ipads are not to blame. Parents are responsible, and this culture of lack of responsibility for one's actions is to blame. Who can I sue? Why doesn't the government do something about this or that? Actually it is Obama and his policies that are more to blame than an iPod or iPad.

Not that I have any strong opinions on the subject or anything... :rolleyes:
He would change his tune if had a 64GB 3G.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Obama cant be that stupid and you'd have to be stupid not to be able to work out how to use an iPod. Its not rocket science, or even high school maths.

And second, gadgets dont change a personality. Lazy people will be lazy no matter what tech you give them.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
This is bs, he is really a joke of a president. Such products enrich are economy,apple fanyboys and many other people that need the latest greatest product asap, even right after it's announced help or economy grow. Is he saying if we just stop spending money are economy will all of a sudden get better, it's the complete opposite.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
A war, an oil spill, people in Tennessee in need, government spending totally out of control and ............ and a President concerned about iPod's iPad's and such. :rolleyes:

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
This is bs, he is really a joke of a president. Such products enrich are economy,apple fanyboys and many other people that need the latest greatest product asap, even right after it's announced help or economy grow. Is he saying if we just stop spending money are economy will all of a sudden get better, it's the complete opposite.
An economy grows from increases in productive capacity and savings. Spending money does not equal economic growth. The iPad has grown the economies of Asian countries where it is produced, not the US economy.

The real problem with all of the electronic gadgets in the US isn't social decline but rather physical decline, as today's kids are more interested in playing games on their XBoxes over the internet than playing baseball at the local field.

Then again our president is a cigarette smoker too!

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Sounds like he's upset that he can't control what people read, watch and listen to.

That first amendment can be a bitch.