Obama sends White House aides to Ferguson funeral

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://news.msn.com/us/obama-sends-white-house-aides-to-ferguson-funeral

so what message is Obama trying to get across?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know. What message do you think he's trying to get across?

3. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

With Obama it's hard to say. He did let his emotions rule on that beer summit fiasco .

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That there's a deep divide of perception in this country, and the responses we'll see from this action will further illustrate this fact.

There's one very interesting thing about Ferguson buried just below the surface that I think we're all missing due to the hullabaloo. Think about it. Are we living in a society of white guilt, willing to provide more opportunity and leniency to certain people simply because of their race? Or are we a society still sick with racism, and this is just another example of a long line of injustices that have never been nor ever will be fully addressed, accounted for, and dealt with accordingly? Michael Brown's death, and the hazy details surrounding it, has drawn attention to the fact that we're all seeing what we want to see, and we're all very, very angry about it.

5. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Nice post. :)

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He probably wanted to acknowledge it in some way. I don't know if the reaction would have been better or worse if he showed in person. Either way the use of the name Obama incites an emotional reaction, especially from the nutjobs. It doesn't matter what he's doing. Some subset of the population will read into it given only a couple lines and a syndicated photo.

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

Wake is tomorrow IIRC, hope tensions settle down a bit. Protest are fine, rioting/looting needs to stop

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would agree. It's likely that a small percentage of the overall protesters were involved in that. At this point many of them are probably locked up.

10. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

number of those arrested seems pretty small, there was a story of some protesters actually defending a store owner that was getting ransacked .

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I missed that one, but as you point out they're not all there to protest against violence with more violence.

12. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That this is unacceptable?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/us/michael-brown-a-bodys-timeline-4-hours-on-a-ferguson-street.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHeadline&module=photo-spot-region&region=photo-spot&WT.nav=photo-spot&_r=0

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There were a lot of people killed in the last few years, how many of those did the White House send representatives to the funerals. Is this case being treated as special by the White House? If so, why?

Did the White House send a representative for the funerals of; SSG Gass, MG Greene, SFC Hairston, SFC Leggett?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is a political move pure and simple.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO one of the best posts I've read, you summed up the whole problem.

Now all we need is the answer.:p

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because as GIs, they are already representatives of the White House; in particular, CiC.

Really.. you, out of everyone here, should know how much attention any of our fallen military get when they are laid to rest. The White House, let alone any branch of government, takes that type of event seriously.

BL.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I don't see why people don't get it.

It's obvious to me the reason why a WHITE cop shot 6 bullets into a BLACK kid who was unarmed.

He is racist.

So, Obama being black, wanted to send some of his people to the funeral.

What's wrong with that?

If there are racists killing black kids, black people should congregate and be mad about it.

Further, racist white people shouldn't be murdering black kids.

22. Huntn, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes, outstanding post. Brown was no angel, but I believe it's safe to say that if you're black living in the US and have a scrape with the law there is a greater chance you'll be shot by a white police officer, than if you are white..

If the following is accurate, I have an issue with the process where the State prosecuter takes up the roll of Officer Wilson's defense lawyer in front of the Grand Jury and there is no one in a position of authority who looks after the rights of the victim. Usually the prosecution is trying to convince the jury to take action, but here the opposite is in effect. Was it justice? :(

I've also noticed this sentiment to the effect of "oh these black people just like causing trouble". Anytime you have social inequality, these types of issues will exist. "They are lawless!" If you want to see stark difference imagine the militias that took up Rancher Bundy's cause, now imagine a mob of armed blacks making a public appearance. Same conclusion? Hardly. Want to see another extreme version? Just look to the Middle East, Pallestinians running amuck with no reason other than they like causing trouble. :rolleyes: What does it take to push a group to a "lawless" state? Possibly decades of mistreatment by the authorities, the law.

23. aaronvan, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Broderick Johnson isn't a real "cabinet member," per se. He's a top K Street lobbyist and longtime Democratic Party bagman. His wife is a major PBS talking head. He also leads an Obama program called My Brother's Keeper, aimed at keeping young blacks out of trouble, so visiting Ferguson seems like a natural move. Colin Powell is part of MBK, too.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Rioting and looting is protest.

When we had the london (and UK wide riots), the aftermath mainly consisted of white people pointing at black and working class people on the TV saying "They're only interested in stealing televisions and shoes, because they just want to look good".

Actually when you look at a lot of the footage a lot of people were stealing food, and the blackmarket trade in shoes and electronics went through the roof.

Rioting and looting is born from anger, Protest is born from disdain.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In case this has not been mentioned, MLKing said "Rioting is the language of the unheard".