Obama signed WEATHER SPACE PROGRAM....hmm

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pat500000, Oct 15, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Having just done a few quick searches on increased solar flare activity, it's safe to say that it is time to take the tinfoil hat, wrap it around a bacon sandwich, and put it in the fridge.

If nothing else, that logo reminds me, my next laptop will be Alienware brand...

2. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

What do you mean?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

,,,,,,blah blah

Space weather, as in solar flares and whatnot, can effect a bunch of stuff here on Earth. It can screw with our communications networks, mess up GPS systems, and raise all kinds of havoc with our electronics. Particularly bad solar storms can blow power grids if we aren't prepared for them.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Aye, in short it is a major hazard for our modern civilization.

5. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

But it's not something a man can control, can it?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sigh renz

Not so much a direct hazard as a massive occasional pain in the ass. We've done quite a bit to shield ourselves from the worst effects of your average, run of the mill solar storms. Large ones can still present problems, though, yes, even they can be mitigated against.

If we were to ever be hit by one of unprecedented size and strength, you could probably expect a week or two of rolling brownouts and spotty cell service, with a few extended blackouts here and there for less prepared grids. GPS would be screwy as hell, too. It'd be hugely inconvenient, but it wouldn't end civilization as we know it.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Certainly not the end, no, but given the money that is going to be lost during those times, it's a bit more than inconvenient.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Until we transition to windmills and solar cells, space weather will continue to get worse.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Indeed. I'm more concerned about an inevitable pole flip. That'll be a damn mess.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---
    Space warming? :)

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All this tells me that the current satellite that measures solar activity is near the end of life and the President funded a new satellite to be built and launched!

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Wow - another chance to piss way taxpayer dollars on superflous crap. Whats next? Galaxy-warming/Universe control?

Ridiculous.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It would certainly be longer than a week or two. Recent shooting attacks on grids have cost millions of dollars in repairs alone and only mitigated by portable back ups. Link. Link Granted these are physical attacks not solar storm type events but if a repair to one will take months imagine if they all or a significant portion of substations go down. You're talking billions in damage to the electrical grid alone. Not to mention the lives lost and economical impact.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Please tell me you're joking?

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

So I take it you agree with Obama signing this particular Executive Order?

It's stuff like this that reminds me how totally delusional all the anti-Government nutters in this country have become. Because I think a lot of those people have literally no idea how important it is that we have a Federal Government with the resources and authority to coordinate things like this.

Today we take things like the power grid and GPS for granted. But without the Federal Government, they simply would not exist. Private businesses, contractors, etc. may very well play their part, but it's up to the Feds to make sure they all use the same systems, so we don't duplicate efforts, and that all the systems can talk to each other. So we have regulations; we have scientists and engineers, and we have agencies planning for disasters, and making contingency plans.

You can't realistically make a commercial business out of solar flares and coronal mass ejections. Those events don't happen very often, and the potential costs are all but unknowable. The only way to make sure we are left, lost and in the dark, is by corrdinating our preparations via the US Federal Government.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My sarcasm detector is faulty as best, so apologies if comments appearing here like these are jests. I believe if you asked any scientist or engineer involved in looking at how the solar wind can impact technology on Earth they'd tell you that the energy involved is massive; it could take down entire satellite systems, power grids, and, yes, even military communications; and that damage can be prevented in power grids and satellites provided there is advanced warning. This requires a satellite positioned between the earth and the sun communicating at the speed of light using radio when a solar flare is detected. The flares travel at less than the speed of light, so this can give power network managers and satellite operators precious minutes to get their equipment in safe mode.

If you have any doubt about the disruption flares can cause then look at http://www.space.com/12584-worst-solar-storms-sun-flares-history.html.

In any case, hopefully this will mean better aurora predictions for those of us living North (or South) enough to see them. :)

17. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

It's interesting. No more iphones.