Obama slips as racism and lack of education come to the fore

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 4, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is the kind of thing that will drive you crazy. Obama is not being evaluated on his positions or his message, he's being evaluated on race, lapel pins and media-fed perceptions of "elitism".

Anybody else see a key factor in that poll that shows the less education you have, the more likely you are to vote for Clinton or McCain? I mean, how else can you explain some of the bone-headed reasons these Indianans gave for fearing Obama? Author Harlan Ellison called this the "reign of the yahoos", where just-plain-folks flaunt their perceived superiority over those egg-headed, out-of-touch educated types. That's what we're seeing here, I think: people who don't know what they're talking about, displaying their own form of proletariat elitism.

I haven't even gotten to the racism attendant upon comments like, "...'President Obama.' I just don't think that sounds American."

I've been reading more and more stories like these. Until now I was convinced that American voters were coming to their senses and were beginning to base their voting decisions on something other than fear, false patriotism and jingoism. Looks like I might have to revisit that opinion.

2. Mackan macrumors 65816

It is indeed tragic to see that the american people most likely will elect McCain if Obama becomes the democratic nominee. Obama has shown very good judgement and intelligence.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I'm really worried that McCain might get into the white house.

I'm not all that concerned with his internal policies (as I don't live in the US), but the foreign affairs really give me the willies. What worries me more is he might get into power just because Obama is black.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, there are some nut jobs out there, but trying to quantify it remains a difficult task.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

McCain will win. Wanna know how I know that? Because Hillary has a long history of messing situations up so that the worst possible outcome is arrived at.

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im not disputing his intelligence, but what do you classify as good judgement?
    I havent heard any real plans from the guy, all I have heard from him is the word "change"

Also, I live in PA, am white, college educated, and have a fairly high level job. I do however, come from (and unfortunately live in) an area that is pretty much redneck. For the most part the people I live near are blue collar, non college educated workers. Surprisinglt, there is a large number of people around here for Obama. Among those who are not, the general consensus among them is that Obama is not really in touch with needs of rural America and the blue collar working class....

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Some exit polls from the primaries have been showing the same thing - the less education you have the more likely you are to vote for Hillary or McCain.

@glocke12
    Why is it that you feel that the people who are not for Obama feel that "Obama is not really in touch with needs of rural American and the blue collar working class"?

It seems to me that the majority of African American blue collar workers support Obama, so why wouldn't the white blue collar workers?

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

First, and I dont mean this in a negative/racist manner, but I suspect that MANY (not all) black blue collar voters are voting for obama because he is black and they are indentifying with that.

Second, I know first hand that the white blue collar workers about which I speak feel that Obama is not in touch with the needs/lifestye of rural america because I have spoken with them and that is what they tell me. They are my neighbors, the people who come to do work on my house, and the people who I eat with and the local diner.

To be honest with you, I WAS tempted to vote for Obama because I thought he would bring change that is needed, but all that changed after his comments about rural America clinging to "guns and religion". I am not a gun freak, and am not overly religous, but I found that comment to just be degrading, out of touch, and elitist.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I think by "out of touch" you mean "hits a nerve," which is just as bad, but there is a substantial difference, and the latter is far more accurate. The one thing both guns and religion frequently offer is a false sense of control over certain aspects of one's own life, and for that reason they do have a particular appeal among the most disempowered segments of society. The degradation is already there, part and parcel of American culture. Reminding people of that fact won't win you any votes, but it's not far wrong.

Incidentally, I also have a sinking feeling that Americans are about to somehow talk themselves into McCain. The concrete reasons why will fall to some future Edward Gibbon to puzzle out, but somehow we don't seem able to muster the kind of vibrancy we once did. It's like the gestalt of the United States is suffering clinical depression.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You're probably right about some blacks voting for Obama because he's black -- I'm certain there's a significant number who are doing just that, for the same reason some women give for voting for Hillary: "I've waited all my life to vote for a black/woman." I find that reasoning rather goofy, but I'm sure a lot of people feeling that way.

Regarding Obama's out-of-touch-ness: exactly what is it they fear about Obama? I keep hearing that "out of touch" charge, but nobody seems to know what it means. I'm getting the strong feeling this is just a meaningless but hurtful label people can slap on Obama, the same way they called Gore a serial exaggerator.

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Obama wasn't saying rural people are bad for that, he was saying, when the government fails its people, then the people fail their government.

They no longer see it as useful, and no longer want to be a part of it.

And they move to other things,( religion and guns), and hold on to them, in the face of change to a government which will help its people.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Anyone who supports Hillary now and decides to vote for McCain in the election is a ****ing idiot.

14. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Don't worry we will.

I have been saying this for a long time now, I honestly think McCain will win. (as echoed by és)

A lot of people are too blind (that's being nice) to see what really matters. Lapel pins? Lack of experience?

I specifically like the lady that says "I have a hard time saying 'President Obama.' I just don't think that sounds American" That angers me on so many levels.

We're screwed.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Agreed!

If Obama is forced to leave the election because he can't get enuf votes, that is only proof that America's head is not screwed on correctly.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that another Republican would get so close to getting elected to office.
    Trust me; if McCain gets elected, the ppl who voted him in will regret it later on in his term.

16. Mackan macrumors 65816

Basically everything I have heard from him makes more sense than the words from Clinton and McCain.

Obama is not that guy simply saying "if I am president, I will never raise taxes". No, he is more intelligent than that. He is also not so afraid of saying things that are true in general, but might not sound good in all ears. If America really wants some kind of change, I think they certainly should give him a chance.

17. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Sure they'll regret it, but that doesn't change the fact that they've elected another Republican who's in line with Señor Bush's policies.

If McCain get's elected, when re-election comes he'll probably get another term. Sadly, ignorance is bliss. I don't exactly have a high regard for most of the American people. Sigh.

Fool once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, I'm kicking your ass. Or something.

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

News outlets today barely meet the standards of what would have been tabloid journalism fifteen years ago. On the whole we honestly do not know the difference between surface and substance anymore. "News" is a celebrity's shameful secret laid bare to the world. Attempting to look beyond such crap makes people who didn't think to do so feel dumb. Making people feel dumb makes you an elitist. Being an elitist means no one should listen to you.

Yeah, we're probably screwed.

19. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Today's news is all about OMGJAKLFJLDKSJFSL!!11 Brtney Spears is pregnant!kljaslkfja!

What's sad is that you're exactly right.

And it's not probably, we are screwed. I will be more than happy to eat those words only if Obama becomes the next President.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I do have to say... It's really cool when you have ppl in Germany, France, the UK and many other countries cheering for Obama. That just shows that he is the one the US and the world needs.

21. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

And that's why the US will not vote him into office.

WE LISTEN TO NOBODY!!!! WE OWN ALL OF YOU!!!

:rolleyes:

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I posted this in another thread, but seriously the charge against Obama that he is somehow out of touch seems to be based more on image (and surely his skin-color plays a role) than on fact. According to the UE, Clinton and Obama have similar score-cards on votes for working people. BUT note the comment on NAFTA! http://www.ueunion.org/ueactionupdates.html?news=377

The news of Obama being out of touch or elitist is driven by deep-seated race anxiety IMHO. The logic seems to be: a black man that has been successful without joining the GOP and without immersing himself in all-white institutions (he goes to a 'black church' GASP!) must be elitist and has never gotten his hands dirty. There must be, by this logic, some romance with power for a black man to have gotten as far as a presidential nomination.

23. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, and we all know how that worked out for Walter Mondale. :rolleyes:

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

How is it that the two richest candidates are seen as the ones that "relate" most with blue-collar workers?

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17