Obama speaks against the ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jan 30, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Obama is right not to have spoken about anything else. This I'm not sure.

We live in interesting times, Trump doesn't follow the standard, so there doesn't seem much reason for anyone else to show decorum either.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Should stop thinking he still has a voice. He, Hillary and Lying Susan.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He's going to be another PITA like Jimmy Carter.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of course he has a voice. That's why they generally shut up.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Well Obama is entitled to voice an opinion as much as the next man. He's also the most qualified to judge from a Presidents point of view.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

He's retired. He should be playing golf.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Dubya had all the class and graciousness on this count ... the self-righteous Obama, not so much.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The list of who should shut the hell up under the Trump administration.
    1. The media
    2. Obama
    3. Diplomats who disagree with Trump
    4. Protesters

I see a pattern here.

11. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Most of the policies that are now at Cheetos's disposal is because Obama didn't shut it down...Now he wants to play better than though!

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yeah, but it doesn't show much grace to the office of the President which he had for eight years... oh well.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure that 1A entitles him to state his opinion. Pretty sure that as a recent President he has perspective. Pretty sure that he stated quite clearly that he wasn't going to be quiet.

Why is the right so afraid of someone with a dissenting opinion?

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But Obama's and Hillary's name can't stay out if everyone's(conservatives) mouths. So they do have a voice.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I think Obama should opine as often as he can. After all he awakened Trump.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because you can't take out your gun and shoot an idea. And the idea that all people are created equal is dangerous to their hold on power.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

And moments later, Trump awakened the majority of voters. He's working against the tide of those that didn't vote for him (or Hillary). It's going to be a long 2-4 years for him.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Oh please, if GWB came out and blasted Obama the left would have lost their mind. It's not that he isn't entitled to his opinion, but tradition is presidents don't comment on current administrations. It's a unwritten rule/understanding.

19. RedOrchestra Suspended

Obama had his 8 years to run the country as he was elected to do ... America has spoken, and they have elected President Trump to run the country in the way he campaigned. POTUS Trump won the election through the electoral college, just as every president who won, before him. The self-righteous Obama should just ZIP it.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Thats certainly ok as it was an even longer 8 years with Obama.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2017 ---
    Considering Trump was using many of Obamas own policies for the ban.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

So your politicians just stop caring and cut all ties once they step down? All our ex PM's give opinions. Tony Blair continued in a top job as Envoy in the Middle East.

I admit our PM's tend to be life long politicians so perhaps they are more qualified.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It's funny that the only person not expected to follow the political norms is Trump. Trump should consider earning the grace of the office.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

There's no Democratic Party leader right now with more stature than former President Obama. The Democratic leadership in the House and Senate are minority leaders, capable and respected by the houses that elected them but likely not seen with the same high regard as Obama still gets from the ordinary Americans with whom he was still very popular even as he left office.

Another thing: Obama is still quite young and I'd expect him to take up some fairly vislble and politically oriented position in future.

GWBush is another former president who left office while still relatively young and who might have remained more openly a political activist if his terms in office had worked out a little differently (or let's be honest, a lot differently). I believe he had the capability to be a somewhat moderating influence on the course the party has taken since he was in office, although it's hard to say.

I think we should get used to having younger presidents in office and seeing them remain active in politics, perhaps in think tanks or various NGOs. That Oval Office job is too hard for older presidents to manage any more if you ask me. Their rate of aging surely accelerates while they're in office even if they take good care of themselves. It surely aged both GWBush and Obama. Trump is behind the eightball already plus he does seem to age before our very eyes; I've never seen anything like it in this short of a time. The job is mostly thankless on the best of days, and even on vacation a president is not really really ever off duty. Trump seems joyless to begin with and if he is actually joyless that takes a toll on mind and body. He needs minders to help him survive the job!

Anyway I like that Obama spoke out against the ban. In a way it's politically smart because for him to do that means Pelosi and Schumer don't have to hammer on it 24/7, they can take a break and try to get some legislative homework done.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I mentioned the office, not the politics behind it. In any case, it's Obama's right and he exercised it. I would not certainly hold this against him.