Obama speaks: an observation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 3, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama is inarticulate; however, the media ignores it. He stutters; his fans pass that off as "an intellectual stammer.” He is a trained lawyer. Aren't lawyers supposed to have mastery of the English language and be great public speakers? Obama rhetoric is articulate (and soaring) only when he is reading from a teleprompter. Very odd.

We endlessly snarked on Dan Quayle’s and W’s verbal missteps and we often chuckle at Sarah Palin’s latest word salad. However, the media, the pundits, and the late-night comics are oddly accepting of Obama’s halting and stumbling elocution. Why?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't care how or what he SAYS, I care about what he DOES.

liberals are the same as conservatives, more than happy to make excuses for their clown when it suits them.

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Really? He stutters? Please, President Bush incorrectly pronounced nuclear. It's not the end of world. People who not intellect do not get elected POTUS.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Not really. Few people are able to deliver a soaring bromide from the top of their head.

Quayle and W. didn't just stumble, but said stupid things that would have been stupid even if written in iambic pentameter. W sounded stupid even at the teleprompter. As for Palin, she's obviously not just halting, but actively and sometimes perversely misinformed.

Look at Rick Perry who had such a utter brain fart during a debate that his campaign basically collapsed. Perry fell into his own narrative—another brainless Texan governor.

Obama appears to be thinking about his answer, measuring what he wants to say and why he wants to say it, which is why people give him stronger marks for his oratory.

But, every great speech was memorized, practiced, and prompted.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D funny.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He seems to have developed his uh, uh, uh, stammer after being elected. I think it comes from trying ti think what you want to say and also how it will be interpreted since every word he utters is scrutinized.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

video on post 4, great example of him trying to weasel a reason for the NSA.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Obama certainly doesn't stutter, which is a speech disorder in which syllables and sounds are repeated, causing a break in the flow of words. Think Porky Pig or King George VI.

I think I would characterize Obama's speech patterns as measured, perhaps overly so. It does seem sometimes as if he is mentally weighing some words carefully before uttering them. This is something I've noticed lawyers tend to do a lot, and probably for good reason: the wrong word, used at the wrong time can cause big problems.

And thats something that Obama has dealt with - like the infamous "corpse-man" gaffe; or the "you didn't build that" statement. An off-the-cuff turn of phrase that the nincompoops at Fox News seize on to prove whatever nonsense they happen to be peddling.

I'm quite certain that around the dinner table Obama speaks quite normally and naturally. But in todays 24/7 "gotcha" news environment, the President who does that in a Press conference is playing with fire.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, I clearly recall his speaking being heavily salted with "um"s in 2008, and noticed that he had been mostly coached out of it by 2010.

Those glasses he wears now? They are tiny telepromter screens.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You're really reaching for something to whine about.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You have a point. Interestingly, DK Simonton (psychologist) and others have estimated the IQs of US Presidents. Every single President was above average, even my least favorite, Andrew Jackson. And some were way, way above average. John Quincy Adams gets the prize for overall smartest, while Jefferson for intellectual brilliance. (George W. Bush was tentatively rated "least open".) Obama would seem to be, by various estimates, somewhere in the middle of a significantly above average group. FWIW. I find Woodrow Wilson to be the most disappointing of all Presidents-- intellectually gifted, educated, progressive, and yet, in the final analysis, deeply racist and dangerously authoritarian. YMMV.

Have fun:

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Now that's funny in a tragic kinda way.

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Did I question Obama's intelligence or his pronunciation skills?

14. pdjudd macrumors 601

You can think George VI, but Porky Pig (according to Mel Blank) intended for it to be a grunt, not a stutter. From wiki

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

His first name was Thomas and he was from Virginia – from the wikithingy:
    Wilson's parents moved south in 1851 and identified with the Confederacy. His father defended slavery, owned slaves and set up a Sunday school for them; the parents cared for wounded soldiers at their church, and his father briefly served as a chaplain to the Confederate Army. Wilson's earliest memory, from the age of three, was of hearing that Abraham Lincoln had been elected and that a war was coming. He would forever recall standing for a moment at Robert E. Lee's side and looking up into his face.

16. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Let's not forget the Wilson quotes used on subtitles in the film "Birth of a Nation," such as the one below.

[​IMG]

The film was adapted from the novel, "The Clansman," written by Thomas Dixon, who just happened to be a longtime political supporter, friend and former classmate of Wilson’s at Johns Hopkins University.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

What is this obsession with Obama using a teleprompter? Has anyone ever been to one of those big corporate general sessions? Each one is carefully honed for several days with entire crews devoted to perfecting every note, sentence, transition, and everything else. Banks of monitors display their notes, timing, and any number of other things. Oh, and these are CEOs and other executives making millions (or tens of millions) of dollars per year....they use teleprompters and spend days rehearsing...to talk about synergizing and using next-generation customer-focused products to value-engineer future revenue streams.

This is another one of those "if this is all you can come up with, he must not be all that bad" moments.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I mentioned it once. That's an "obsession?" :rolleyes:

19. Sydde, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"You" are but the trailing foam of a tedious tide of minions barfing this fetid glurge upon our forums and our monitors. That you even mentioned it indicates obsession, most folk have moved on.

20. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Hmmm. I think this may be more of a, speaking in front of billions of people with every single speech on behalf of the most powerful country(arguably) in the world while everyone in the world analyzes your every word, type of issues.

There are very few that would be comfortable in that situation, even after 6 years. They couldn't pay me enough to do his job. No thanks.

That's just me though.:rolleyes:

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a perfect example of why politics is broken in the US.

You have a president that is starting yet another war and your thread-starting concerns revolve around Obama not being eloquent enough and the media not devoting enough time to his speaking habits? How about the media focus on the facts about starting another war and killing people? If you want to ponder over celebrity gossip there are magazines for that. I'd suggest some perspective is needed.

22. pdjudd macrumors 601

That’s the key thing here. It’s really tough addressing a nation of people when everything you say gets analyzed by pundits down to the minutia and when you know that a sizable chunk of your audience hates you and looks for something to attack you with. You also remember that doing this and at least trying to be honest and to say the right thing is really hard to do even under the best of times.

Now compare that to pandering and grandstanding that politicians often engage in to rile up their base. They can say complete lies and do it quite effortlessly or they engage in ridiculous hyperbole. They can do this quite easily since it’s not really a genuine thing to them since they know that it’s not going to lead anywhere. And all it does is just stir the pot with people that support what they say and do it uncritically. The president can’t do that. He has to talk to everybody and when he engages in pot stirring he gets raked over the coals.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

As Sydde said, you are but one in a sea of people who have brought up Obama's use of a teleprompter. A search on this forum brings up 136 results. A search on a more right-leaning forum brings up 970 results in two years.

It's an obsession. Much like everything else related to Obama from the right side.

Ya think? All these people who think it's easy to go up and get through a speech about some very important topic with very little (if any) time to go over it without some assistance, are just pathetic.

24. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What, are you suggesting that the media should relentlessly investigate Obama's war-mongering and extrajudicial assassinations, his spying on Americans, and his prosecution of government whistle-blowers? Are you suggesting that the media speak truth to power?

You're talking crazy, man. Sit down and drink some water.

----------

A search of "Bush is the Anti-Christ" brings up 1,150,000 hits. What's your point?