Obama supporter denied communion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Jun 9, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

That is completely illegal, as I understand it. Religious institutions are not allowed to endorse any political entities when they're acting in their official religious duties, because that's what gives them tax-free status as a religious group rather than a political group. Sounds like clear grounds for a legitimate lawsuit to me.

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

He's a lawyer too. Pretty bad. They might have lost a few Obama supporting parishioners as well. You can't really force a church to give communion, or sue them if they don't, right to deny customers and religious freedom and all that, but it does cross a weird line I don't think they should be crossing. After all the kerfuffle over the Wright thing, and I don't think they ever denied anyone religious services despite what you may have heard, least of all for their political preferences. I don't know, maybe they might not be too happy with McCain supporters milling around, but I doubt it would be as bad. If it was, would be just as wrong. And I'm sure all over the news.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Time to go get some back taxes from that church. We've got to start somewhere before this gets out of control.

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Have faith the pope will step in as doing this is sacrilege.

No member of the body of Christ may be denied communion for interpersonal reasons.

That priest just risked excommunication.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You are correct. I was raised a Catholic.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Someone please tell me again why the Church isn't about controlling what people think...

8. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I spent ten years in catholic school and I seriously doubt that the catholic church is not invested in mind control.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Eh, my guess is that that's dicey. This is more the action of one jerk than an institutional endorsement, especially as evident from the letter of apology issued by the organizers of the event.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps he went to Confession first, and didn't show "contrition" for supporting Obama?? [​IMG]

Or does that not even count anymore??

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anything that hastens the decline of the current bunch of imbecilic church leaders who feel that their judgement is superior to God's is fine with me. Keep it up guys. In another generation your pews will be half as full as they are now, and you're already complaining about lower numbers...

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Are we gonna go through this communion crap every presidential election now? :rolleyes:

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

and now we wait to see the spin that FOX news puts on this........

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    This is UGLY. For him to use an endorsement as a reason for refusing communion... YIKES.

~ CB

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lawyers ....Rats...... There are some things Rats wont do. Need I say more?

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems leaving the church is more hurtful to the media hound priests these days. :rolleyes:

18. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Yep.

It's fair to say that that priest is going down.

There are a lot of people who are big on denying Communion to those who, say, publicly support abortion, but people who publicly support abortion are directly against Church teaching, so that is acceptable in that case. This priest denying this man Communion for such a reason is at best a mortal sin, and might well gain him an excommunication.

This will cause problems. Majorly.

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Go Catholics Go!

I thought the idea behind Christian beliefs was to convert the non-believers as their saviour?

This is like, the opposite.

jeezit.jpg

20. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

It's not at all illegal. Many religious groups all over choose to support and encourage support for political candidates. Any group is allowed to conduct "grass roots" political work without losing their status (barring a few specific exceptions).

I've been in churches that talked specifically and pointedly about current political issues and candidates, and I've been in churches that speak only in terms of absolutes with guiding principles from the Bible as to how to use our votes.

The Catholic church has every right as a private institution to refuse communion to whomever they choose and for whatever reason. They refuse to have female priests, but cannot be touched legally for that, because the law has precious little to say over this privately run and operated religious institution's practices. It's their choice.

P.S. I'm not a Catholic, and I don't have a particular for or against position here.

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I'm 99.8% certain that you're wrong.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121029464937179517.html

This is because the church is NOT just a private institution as you stated, it's a TAX-EXEMPT institution, which means there are limitations on what it is allowed to do and still maintain their tax-free status. If they want to be able to endorse a candidate and pay their fair share of taxes like every other institution in the country, then they're welcome to do that. But as long as they are getting tax exemption due to their status as a group acting as a religious institution then that means they are not allowed to act as a politically active group.

22. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

As an active participant and member of several Christian churches for over 8 years, I can say that political discussion and decision making is very prominent in many churches, and no church has completely avoided it that I have been a part of. I have never even heard the suggestion that it was illegal in the US, though one time someone asked if a church "should" have such discussions. It was quickly pointed out that it can, and whether it "should" is up to the church leaders.

Churches have always been active politically. Many politicians got their start by campaigning through church pulpits.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is not illegal in a criminal sense, but it will result in revocation of tax-exempt status.

Subsection (h) describes certain limited exceptions, but explicitly excludes churches and religious organizations from its own qualifications on this provision, so yes, if your U.S. pastor is campaigning in church, he risks revocation of tax-exempt status.

24. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

anyone know if the Bishop allowed this action as that would determine the theocratic legality of this matter.