Obama Supportive of Vick's Second Chance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 184550 Guest

Politico Article

Really? Of all the second chance stories out there and this is the one that warrants a personal phone call from the President?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As repulsive as Michael Vick's past actions were, he served his time. He should be able to get back to what he did before. People should not be punished forever for something they did their time for. Our country tends to do that to people and then it's no surprise when the same people end up back in prison. As for Obama commenting on it? Who cares? It's not as if he signed some presidential pardon to get Vick his job back. This is just more useless Fox News hysteria and faux indignation.

I noticed you left out this priceless quote from Carlson in the article you posted:

Really? Executed?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Let me guess... Carlson and Hannity both thought this was further proof of Obama (and all liberal's) lack of core values and a sure sign that he's destroying the very fabric of society.

And that all the while that they blasted Obama for his phone call they showed photos of sad-eyed puppies on the screen behind them.

Am I right?

Am I right?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know you're right. There is no low too low for Fox News, but no- there were no puppies. ;)

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm all about second chances. I'm happy he's doing well in the NFL.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't begridge Vick from getting back to where he was, but Obama made a dumb move. Of course any private citizen he comments on is going to get all kinds of publicity and news coverage. And, of course, FOX would blow it all out of proportion.

7. 184550 thread starter Guest

I think that this shows that Obama still doesn't understand that when you're the POTUS, you have to be reserved when giving your personal views. This little gem springs to mind immediately.

Perhaps because I don't care one way or another.

I've made my views on Fox News perfectly clear, multiple times here.

Perhaps one has failed to notice that this article was pulled from Politico and not Fox News. Bash Fox all you want, I'm perfectly fine with that, though don't confuse that issue with the content of the article.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe Obama wants to have beers at the White House with Vick and Bo. :D

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Oh boy.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Tucker Carlson (video) is one massive douche bag.

Executed? :eek:

Are you effin' kidding me?

The best part is he had Ben Crenshaw :confused: on his show commenting about the issue.

Ben Crenshaw?!

Are you effin' kidding me?!

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought I was commenting on the content of the article, but it's also talking about something on Fox News. I don't think it's a big deal that Obama said something. It's just ...not.

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I think this was more about Tucker not getting enough attention...
    The most popular shows on Fox are the ones dishing the most outrageous opinions...

13. 184550 thread starter Guest

Could Joe come? Assuming he hasn't been banned from the WH yet like he was from Dave & Buster's. :p

Yes, like Fox News, I am aware that The Onion reports fake news.

Eh, it seemed to me like you and green leaves wanted to make this another Fox News Bash-a-thon.

If not, my apologies to you.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wonder who'll Tucker will have as his next guest for scintillating news analysis... Fran Tarkenton?

Next time you don't want us to bash FAUX News, don't post embarrassingly ridiculous comments from it.

15. 184550 thread starter Guest

I know you're relatively new to PRSI. Try using Mroogle to research my opinion(s) on Fox News.

'Cause you know what they say about assumptions... ;)

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I made no assumptions.

All my comments regarded Tucker Carlson and FAUX and had nothing to do with you.

Why are you taking that personally?

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Vick did the time to pay for his indiscretions and has also proved he is well on his way of paying back to the community. Like he said, if he can help more animals than he ever harmed he is doing his part to repair the damage.

The people that want to compare him to Charlie Manson are the one's who have the problem.

Michael Vick belongs on the Football field. :cool:

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Right? I mean WTF do people have to do to get back to being productive members of society? I swear- there are so many people who want people to suffer forever for a crime, no matter how much that person has changed.

19. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

I definitely think that the punishment for this should have been much greater (personally executing 9-12 dogs and only two years? really?) but I'm all for second chances. He served his punishment, and now has a chance to redeem himself. Let's hope he does.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I bet if Vick was not a celebrity or a football player he would still be in jail. Or have not even been convicted as harshly in the first place. Either or he has gotten special treatment.

Yes he committed a crime and served his time but why focus on him.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why is this news worthy? Pathetic.

Go Eagles!

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think the opposite - they made an example out of him.

Yes, he was wrong for what he did, and he should have been punished - and he was. Now he's in the news for being an outstanding football player, and people want to begrudge him that.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He definitely did not get a sentence that fit the appalling nature of his crime though.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know what the going rate in prison is for dog fighting but I think Vick was sentenced harsher than most first time offenders.

A lot of people think that Vick going to prison made him a better football player because it changed his focus.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The scale and scope of his dog fighting/breeding/torture operation was far beyond any small time dog fighter. He made a business out of it and killed/tortured many dogs that didn't fight well.