Obama takes blame

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jul 11, 2014.

1. tshrimp, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I was listening to the radio this morning on the way to work, and an challenge was given that I thought I would pass along here.

Name some things that Obama has taken the blame for.

He stumped the hosts.

So the challenge is...What has Obama admittedly taken the blame for during his presidency.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Now we make threads based on Fox News talking points.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He should apologize for not fighting hard enough for progressive policies.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I am pretty sure that I heard him take full responsibility for the Mt. St. Helen eruption a few ears ago.

Not during his administration...but pretty big of him, I thought.

:rolleyes:

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think Obama can rightly take responsibility for acceding to his military commanders' request for a "surge" of troops in Afghanistan in December 2009. I think it highly likely that Obama (privately) believed any such surge and counter-insurgency strategy was doomed to failure - and yet he went ahead and let the Pentagon talk him into sending an extra 30,000 troops.

I think Obama can take responsibility for the failure to achieve any meaningful progress in negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians. Of course, the same can be said of pretty much every President going back to Eisenhower.

I think Obama can take responsibility for following through on the implementation of the Healthcare.gov site. Having achieved the landmark healthcare reform, I think he was too trusting of the administrators and technicians implementing the site. Given the importance of the website in overall public perception of the ACA, he should have demanded more and better testing long before the site went live in late 2013.

Those, I think, are legitimate criticisms that can be leveled against the Obama administration. There may well be others. But for the most part the charges Republicans bring (Benghazi, IRS, etc.) are just so much hogwash. And as for the rest: Well, I guess we can blame Obama for not being a white Republican - the only possible sort of President the current Congress would actually work it.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

He took the blame for smoking.

He corrected it, and stopped.

BL.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

As if this is a new thing.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I kind of wish he did a little while in Colorado. Just to see how everyone would explode at him doing something as simple as smoking some weed.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It would be low class and unbecoming of the office of the president. Would also be in violation of federal law, which trumps state law.

10. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Is this a post because you couldn't think of one? I thought it was a legitimate question. This gives the democrats the ability to post that Obama doesn't just blame Bush and others for everything.

----------

That would be a political disaster for Obama. I might not like his politics, but he is too smart for that.

----------

I ask the same of you as I did another...

Is this a post because you couldn't think of one? I thought it was a legitimate question. This gives the democrats the ability to post that Obama doesn't just blame Bush and others for everything.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Except the things he has blamed others for is generally their fault. :\

Don't let facts get in the way of talking points, though.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think it's in poor taste for any president to defer to the previous administration for lapses in current direction and leadership.

The people want solutions and progress and largely don't care about what is behind them as much as what is ahead.

Saying "the previous administration" is just cheap and lazy politics.

We need to be holding these people accountable, and denying them outs for their own accountability.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

So we should hold people accountable who are NOT responsible for something? How is that in good taste?

15. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

So you appear to be saying you cannot provide an instance. That's cool.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You're the President of the United States. Everything that happens during your watch is your problem, because blabbering about "the previous administration" is no consolation or solution for the people.

If I hired someone and 6 months in he was complaining about the person he replaced I would question if I chose the right person for the job.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if you continue to do the crimes of your predecessor, are you NOT responsible?

18. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

You seriously underestimate the power of the President.

Except the things he is being asked to take blame for aren't the things that the two of us consider crimes.

19. tshrimp, Jul 11, 2014

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

He did not take responsibility for anything in the link you provided.

"....President Obama has sought to apologize for the actions of his own country"

This is not the same as taking blame on yourself.

Addressing the "Top 10" (taken directly from the top 10)
    1. ...we must be honest...
    2. ...We have not been perfect...
    3. ..us must now renew the common stake...
    4. ...some restoration of America's standing in the world.... - Apologized for Americas standing :)
    5. ... our government made a series of hasty decisions....
    6. ...he apologized for GB... (This is not a quote like the others)
    7. ...Human endeavor is by its nature imperfect.... But same as above.
    8. ...the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement...
    9. ... we have to acknowledge potentially we've made some mistakes....
    10. ... Again just apologized for GB..Nothing on himself.

Do not see the "I" in any of the above. In your link he never once took full responsibility. Apologizing for our country and our past mistakes etc is not admitting any of your mistakes. If anything he is pointing the finger away from himself.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in your views, has the man committed any crimes that he should be held accountable for?

----------

it's Bush's fault & ya'll are racist :p

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Yeah, he has committed crimes. They're ones that congress generally like, though, so nothing will come of it.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

congress should be in jail for those as well. thanks for the answer BTW.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

No problem.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You…you do realize that an elected representative is supposed to represent the nation right?

Frankly, if Obama was constantly saying "I" for the nation, you'd be screaming from the hilltops about the president considering himself a monarch.

25. tshrimp, Jul 11, 2014

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

You have a valid point and I agree, but if you go and read each of the 10 items in full he is using the term in order to deflect (and blaming America in the process much of the time). Also the points in the link are just not good examples. They are not mistakes admittedly made by him that he fessed up to.

The link isn't really an Obama apology list. It is a list where Obama went around the world apologizing for the United States.The list just doesn't address the topic.

If the topic was "Has Obama apologized for America" then that would be a great list.