Obama Thinks College Students Are Too Coddled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Renzatic, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This'll make some heads explode.

He is right, though. It's one thing to disagree with someone. Something else entirely to ban someone you have a disagreement with in order to shield yourself from an opposing viewpoint. The last thing schools should be nurturing is a static viewpoint.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

College students are definitely too coddled. The fear of words and discussion is at an all time high among young people.

3. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I'm hoping its just a phase. The last thing we need is a university enforced echo chamber.

One of the most important things anyone can do is listen to someone they disagree with. It's how you learn things.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I found the end a little chilling, though:

Is the full transcript available somewhere?

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Republicans immediately troop out to the nearest university with blankets and hot chocolate to coddle students recently maligned by Obama.

6. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Not that I can find. I wouldn't expect one, either. It's just a little off to the side, not too terribly important college pep talk.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The same argument can be made about the Fox News' viewership and those who listen to right-wing radio.

8. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

This argument could be made about a lot of people these days, if you want to be honest about it.

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

Oh obama..

U know you used to be in school at one stage. I guess when we grow up, we can take it out on our siblings.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

One of the biggest casualties is the death of the debate team, because there's only one side.

There could be a fear of concussion when hearing opposing viewpoints. I mean, we are all in lawyer-infested waters.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think any sane person would disagree with it, any particular reason why this article is being brought up six months after it happened though?

I don't know where you'd find the full transcript, but it looks like he's mostly throwing the Republican's argument that he's a communist back at them and saying that Carson's plan to cut funding to colleges that the government deems politically biased is un-American, but might work in a communist state like the Soviet Union.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'm stuck at having a hard time with how easy it is to leave "former" off "Soviet Union" these days. President Obama apparently left it off too in his remarks.

13. jkcerda, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so YOU need to be coddled ?
    [​IMG]

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most people's views and outlooks change from their teens, 20's and 30's. You also have professors who are perpetuating the coddling, most of them are grown ass adults.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So this means Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are going to pass federal laws creating safe spaces now, right?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

don't we call them "gun free zones" right now?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

jk, jk... you do know we're collecting stats on percentage of "guns" as total of words you deploy. A loud buzzer rings whenever it goes over 10% since we know you, unilke the trump, actually DO "have all the words". I think I just heard that buzzer go off, even up here in the mountains.

On topic: even if the article is from back in September (which I have to see feels like a century ago now), Obama made some good points, possibly aimed at informing progressives they don't have to go off the deep end of political correctness while making sure hate speech is not condoned.

There is no safe space past the cradle and even there you can be caught on the wrong side of your own history if you're unlucky. College is a good place to get used to trading ideas instead of throwing punches at people who, you know, have the nerve to say something like "How 'bout those Rangers..."

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nope. Different thing.

Though I'm sure if Obama came out and said he loved guns then Republicans would try to ban them.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe it's not just college kids that have been too coddled.

Usually I'm more or less accepting of the fact that I won't live to see history of my own time from the perspective of future historians. I have to say I'd love to see what they'd think of the Republicans in Congress during the terms of Obama's presidencey.

The sheer three-year-oldness of the House passing repeal after repeal of the ACA, for instance.

It just reminds me of being told to go to my room for some minor infraction, thinking "I'll show YOU"... and then going up there and in a hissy fit throwing out the bedroom window every blasted thing I could lift. And I was four, actually, not three, so it was a lot of stuff but in the end I had to go downstairs and lug it all back up again and put it away and everything was the same as before only I was exhausted. I was determined to do it again of course, but then I was only four so I forgot about it by next day...

Really even if I were a Republican I'd be looking to throw the obstructionists out now. Slowing things down to a deliberative pace is one thing and a time honored tradition in Congress, particularly in the Senate. But the way the Republicans have acted in the House is a completely different thing. Gridlock is not deliberative. It's a result of nose-out-of-joint hissy fits and addiction to the drama of 30-second ideological wars played out on TV and on the net.

Bottom line it's not just college kids who need to learn how to hear different ideas without calling for an ambulance or a hit squad. Our whole country of conflict-addicted adults could afford some re-education.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's definitely not just college kids. I mean, look at the people who attend Trump rallies...

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that would be the opposite of coddled ....

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It wouldn't be the opposite of afraid of different ideas.

23. chown33 macrumors 604

That rates an upvote with a topping of "Bazinga!".

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Just in time for dessert and coffee, thank you kind sir.

Think I'll quit :eek: while I'm one up for a change.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not sure as both the DNC and the GOP oppose him :p