Obama to continue Bush's missile defense plans in Poland?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JG271, Nov 8, 2008.

1. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry. I read the article, and for once- I agree with something Bush started. I don't see anyhting wrong here.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If only we could stop being world police and start focusing on our own country for a change.

jon

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

— Lord Palmerston

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Whilst I am against this, although I'll wait for proper confirmation before I slam Obama for it, do we really have to have the whole 'change' thing? Is it going to be like this for everything he doesn't upend?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

People forget that his main platform for change rested on his specific campaign promises and his platform. Anything outside of that is up for negotiation.

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Hmm. I liked it better when US Presidents said stuff like "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!".

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am suspicious of this. Obama has repeatedly stated that "there is only one President at a time", so why would he begin by setting foreign and defence policy during his predecessor's term? Perhaps the Poles are seeking to make political capital. At any rate, I would wait until I hear from Obama himself before I rush to judgment, and I would not expect that until after he has taken office.

9. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't trust a word either of the Kaczynski brothers uttered. Nasty xenophobic bigots the pair of them, and utterly incapable of taking criticism.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's a huge difference between a wall and a battery of missiles pointed at you specifically.

I agree with this "assumption".

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was just about to post something similar. Why would anyone believe Obama made a promise like this during a congratulatory phone call? It is likely Obama has no more specifics on this plan today than he did on November 4th.

12. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

I only mentioned the lack of a 'change' as it appears to be a direct continuation of a Bush policy, especially as he previously has made comments specifically going against what the Polish government is saying. However, after reading this thread I will wait for an official announcement from Obama before making a judgement.

It would be a shift in policy for him, so I apologize for jumping the gun a bit on this one... I'm hopeful he'll pursue a less aggressive policy than Bush.
    We'll wait and see i suppose.

13. 66217 Guest

Well, Bush didn't made everything wrong. And I think doing this is a necessity for the US, since Russia has been so forward in installing their own missiles near Poland also.

Russia has also been doing business with Venezuela and other countries that have been openly declared to be against the US. You can't be too cautious with all this movements from Russia.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Russia did not have any missiles near the Polish border until the US started to talk about placing their missile defence there.

Nonsense. The US has been doing business with Venezuela too. Why are you so keen to invent another confrontation?

15. JG271 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JG271

Why is it a nessecity for the US? If Europeans feel threatened, its our job to act on that, not to let the US do it for us.

Update on the OP:

The BBC added some information to the article, McDonough is an Obama advisor:

16. 66217 Guest

I referred to military business.

And I'm not inventing confrontations, I'm just stating what is happening. Russia has always had something against the US, there was already a not so nice Cold War, and I'm sure we don't want that to happen again.

17. 66217 Guest

See above post. If Russia ever gets to invade or attack a country again, I hope for the best, but the situation could get really bad.

18. Queso macrumors G4

You have to realise something. Modern Russia is a democratic republic, not a communist state. Medvedev and Putin are both elected leaders, elected by large majorities. They were elected to protect the interests of Russia and Russians.

I always find it amazing when Westerners cannot see things from the other point of view. Russia is being surrounded by the USA and its allies. The same USA that has illegally invaded countries in recent history. I don't blame the Russians for being suspicious about a new missile installation just outside their borders. If I were running Russia I would be too.

19. 66217 Guest

Nor do I. But I also don't blame Bush doing it neither.:)

20. Queso macrumors G4

Bush could site that missile system in any number of countries. Siting it in Poland is like a dog marking his territory. Putin declared himself and Russia against the unipolar world in 2005. Since then the USA and its allies have been gradually baiting Russia and actively attempting to weaken its influence over neighbouring states.

That is a very dangerous game to play, and will have massive implications on future European security. Forgive me if I'm more concerned about that than whatever plan the White House may have for protecting the USA.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I predict Obama will offer to bring Russia into the missile defense system. This would be a very difficult offer for them to refuse.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Hey, don't apologise. There is nothing to be sorry for. Myself, Skunk and Queso might be naturally weary about it, that doesn't mean it's wrong.

In what way is it a necessity for the United States of America?

Tell me this is some sort of joke!

The United States of America is Venezuela's largest customer for oil. The US imports 1.146 million barrels per day (Aug 2008).

Which movements.

23. 66217 Guest

See above. I meant military business.

Russia has lately made military practices in Venezuela. They sent some of their biggest military ships there. They had recently said they will install missiles near poland also.

And above all, the latest actions taken in Georgia in July.

24. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Which makes it even worse. US have, under Bush, deal in weapons with Venezuela. However, even if they have a problem with it now it's all regarding oil. The US is more than happy to give weapons to Columbia, bankrolls Israel and even sells planes to places like Pakistan. Get your head out of the sand. This has to do with Bush's ego.

What has Russia dealing with Venezuela got to do with the US? Why is it a necessity for the US?

With good reason.

Seriously? You want to go there?

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace