Obama to Iran: give our CIA spy drone back pretty please?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dime21, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dime21 macrumors 6502

Just when you thought he couldn't get any more clueless, Obama makes a formal request to Iran to please give back our top-secret CIA spy drone. LMAO! As soon as it crashed, it would have taken what, 3 hours or so to have diverted a special forces helicopter from Iraq to fly in, pick up the crashed drone, and leave? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, an insane madman long considered the "crazy uncle" even by most of his neighboring middle east leaders, holocaust denier, open supporter of terrorists groups, and Obama thinks its a good idea to sit back, do absolutely nothing, and just ask pretty please can we have our top-secret CIA spy drone back? :rolleyes: January 2013 can't come soon enough!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...intelligence/2011/12/13/gIQAx3tcrO_story.html

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm no fan of Obama, but I have to disagree, or at least point out a different way of looking at this. We simply don't know what behind-the-scenes games th US is playing with Iran right now. Iran is a - if not the - country to watch right now regarding potentially devastating unrest. For all we know, Obama is giving Iran a chance to (appear to, in its own eyes) be the bigger man by "giving" back the drone. Sometimes the most effective negotiating tool with a party that "has nothing to lose" is to let them feel big in their britches over something relatively minor. It can go a long way.

We just don't know what necessary games are being played in the background right now.

3. renewed, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The didn't ask permission to fly it around their country so they should of just snuck in and retrieved it. Now, if they do eventually give it back, I'm sure they won't return it until all data is captured and they figure out a way to build their own.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow! I didn't know you knew so much about sensitive military operations! You should like totally be president. :rolleyes:

Must be so easy to be an armchair president.

You have some high hopes don't you? You're in for a huge disappointment.
    It's sad you would rather have the christian taliban running this country.

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It wasn't supposed to be there to begin with. If you purposely throw a rock through someone's window, do you ask for it back? Would you expect to get it back?

No. You try to sneak in to the house and retrieve the rock before they finger print it.

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't disagree that it wasn't supposed to be there. My point is that while, again, I am no fan of Obama, it is my hope that this request is part of a much bigger, more important play being made with Iran.

I like your finger print comment. That is a good point. I can't really disagree with it from that angle, except to say I'm unclear on how quickly the drone was found and retrieved versus our ability to have taken it back.

To pivot off it a bit, I was listening to the Diane Rehm show the other day and her panel was discussing this. No, I don't have a link (but can get one) and I don't remember who was talking, but the consensus was that Iran being able reverse engineer the drone was akin to a first grader being able to reverse engineer a computer. They weren't being snarky about Iran, but the point they were making was that there is little to nothing, in their opinion, for Iran to learn from the drone. It is now just a emblem, so to speak, of the larger US/Iran/World issue.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Or maybe they purposely meant for that plane to be shot down so they set it up to make it easy to shoot down? Maybe it contains information to mislead the Iranians? YOU DON'T KNOW, NOR DOES ANY AVERAGE CITIZEN. I wish everyone would stop sitting here pretending they know exactly what is going on with high up military operations. None of you have any clue as to what you're talking about.

8. renewed, Dec 13, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And this is absolutely a possibility. But it's not fun just to say, "eh, who knows". Especially when we can discuss and change the world from "teh internetz". :p

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Don't mean to be a spelling nazi, but it's not "the internetz," it's "teh internetz." ;)

EDIT: Don't want to de-rail, but what is up with "quote notifications?" Am I going to get a message every time someone quotes me? Seems a bit excessive. Can it be turned off?

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Didn't think of it that way, carry on folks!

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can turn the notifications off at the bottom of Edit Options in User CP.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Or refrain from throwing rocks to begin with.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well that's un-american. :p

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It is very refreshing to have an administration that at least acts mature in public instead of running around calling for war, invasion, and basically advertising their desire to enter into a military conflict.

Don't forget that it was the Obama administration that kept secret its operations to invade and kill Osama Bin Laden in an ally's territory within miles of one of its military bases. All without every beating the drums of war.

The Bush administration would have had every talking head on every Fox News show calling for war with Pakistan, and Bin Laden would have gotten away yet again.

15. wpotere Guest

My favorite so far has been Cheney saying that we should have sent in an air strike to destroy the drone. Sure, let's start a war over a downed drone. :rolleyes:

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Yes, let's risk lives of special forces for hardware. Worked well for retrieving hostages in that country a few years back.
    2) Spying is not exactly "legal", but to send forces in...this could be seen as an act of war.
    3) There is considerable political unrest in Iran. The drone being there is nothing compared with sending soldiers in to galvanize the conservative powers to clamp down on moderates interested in making Iran more progressive.

Your ignorance of the actual way the world works suggest you will be voting for Perry, no?

17. wpotere Guest

Pretty much spot on! :)

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

THIS.

You beat me to it. Very well said. I'll even add to it:

4) You have an Arab Spring movement going on there. You want to send in troops to a sovereign nation, risking war, to retrieve a piece of hardware, allowing the Iranian government to use that act to justify their actions and back what they've been saying all this time, AND possibly swing the moods of those people in the Arab Spring movement back ot their side?!?

And Obama is clueless... :rolleyes:

BL.

19. kavika411, Dec 13, 2011

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I definitely won't vote for Bush in 2012.

And why the mention of Pakistan?

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Why would something like that not have a remote self destruct? Seems a pretty big oversight.

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The ones they went with were $154,000,000.00 USD a piece. The ones with self destruct would of been $154,000,000.75 USD.

Priorities when it comes to budgeting.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Good, now can I convince you not to vote for the candidates who want to continue his policies, but do so in a more extreme and destructive manner?

Why mention Pakistan? That's where Bin Laden was, and that's the country Newt just mentioned.

Sorry, I just assumed you knew that's where Bin Laden was killed. It was in the news; kind of a big deal.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This is a really stupid problem to have. So much so it makes me wonder if there's something else going on. This shouldn't even be in the news. It's a freakin' SPY DRONE. It should have self-destruct for this precise reason. It's not even an original idea. Oops KABOOM™ should be standard issue! Asking for it back. LOL. Nothing about this makes much sense.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Iran may not be able to reverse-engineer it, but I'm sure they have friends who can (Russia or China).

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So you don't want me to vote for Obama.

Got it.

Good point. Hadn't thought about like that.