Obama to launch cyberwar with Russia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The article makes it abundantly clear that prudence is the watchword here. As it notes, Obama may do nothing. This may just be saber-rattling, to let the Russians know that we know what they're up to.

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama has a history of not being able to play this game, he should stop before this turns into another red line fiasco. Russia would be well within their rights to launch a pre-emptive strike now. The US grid is not impenetrable

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This. Obama has proved again and again that he's not up to the task of playing geopolitics with masters of the art like Putin.

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

How does one paint a red line in cyberspace?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Another red line?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So we should just let it happen and no nothing since they are trying to help trump??? I am sure they are wiser then you on this.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The answer is already in the post quoted .

9. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Masters of the art? Russia's economy is in shambles, their trade partners are few and far between, and they can't afford the upkeep of their military. They're viewed unfavorably on the international stage by just about everyone. Their allies are Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, and Tajikistan. Hardly world players.

10. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Their debt to GDP ratio is also 12% if they wanted to increase that to the 100% range like the west they could probably pretend that they fixed their economy as well.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except no one would lend them that money.

12. aaronvan, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The slump in oil prices hurt the Russian economy but it is hardly "in shambles." They are rapidly modernizing their military and drawing much closer economically and militarily to China, India, and even NATO member Turkey. Russia may be "viewed unfavorably" but realpolitik isn't a popularity contest as Obama believes it is. Power talks and bulls**t walks.

With CorelDraw?

13. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Please source this.

So far they haven't been able to afford a single production plane of their Sukhoi PAK FA. They haven't been able to afford to design the PAK-DA bomber, much less produce a prototype. Their cruise missiles are wildly inaccurate; just look at their embarrassing misses and accidents while targeting Syria last year.

The majority of their bombing in Syria has been done by Su-24 Fencers from the 1970s-80s. The Fencers use handheld GPS units for navigation rather than a proper GPS system. They're held in place with rubber bands. Does the modernization that you mention involve updating their Garmin maps every year?

Here's a nice infographic of Russia's navy. It has been shrinking every year. They've designed new ships, but they can't afford to build them. They can't afford to build old designs either. For example, they managed to build 3 out of the 10 planned 1X Slava cruisers in the 1970s and 1980s, then ran out of money. The rest of their ships are similarly antiquated, and they can't afford to update or maintain them.

The only thing that I know of the Russian military actually modernizing are their tanks. They've built about 100 T-14s (if you believe them).

Please source that they're growing economically closer to China. That claim is so ridiculous that I don't know how it could be defended.

14. lostngone, Oct 15, 2016

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

What proof do we have that is it happening(Russian Gov. Hacking)? The U.S. says it's the Russian Government behind it but I haven't seen a single log file or piece of source code or other proof that it is.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2016 ---
    At this point I more likely to believe that this is just an excuse to install more hardware/software to spy in its own citizens(oops, I meant to say "terrorists").

15. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sure, let me do your research for you.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/india-russia-seek-deeper-defense-and-economic-ties-1476538916

http://bruegel.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Heli-Simola-Russia-China-presentation.pdf

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/27/chin...s-more-political-substance-than-economic.html

16. Zenithal, Oct 15, 2016

Zenithal Suspended

"Cyber War"

The Cold War never really ended, it defrosted, but it was put on the back burner. We've been committing cyber warfare long before Obama took office. I seem to recall a government agency connected to the CSS that infilitrated friendly and axis networks and recorded data, in fact, one of our biggest allies developed illicit software to infiltrate networks. By jove, you've cracked the biggest conspiracy in the world, OP.

This is again one of the very few times I agree with the constantly doting Aaron. Some people on this site will gobble up whatever press they read about Russia. To give you an idea, the Russians do the same with us. When your government's advisors and professors linked with think tanks funded by government bodies or NGOs say something, take it with a grain of salt sometimes.

Let me be crass about it, Russia has never and will never give a damn about what we tell them to do. It wouldn't surprise me if both countries have infiltrated government ranks like they once did a mere 30 years ago.

17. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

None of your sources provide any evidence of this.

Your sources refute your claim... The Bruegel presentation says that there's potential for them to create closer economic ties, but they're not doing so as of now. The CNBC article says that they're "trading in rhetoric":

Also, you didn't provide any proof of their military ties to China.

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Like how Lucy did it in the living room of that TV show but with tape? Or was that one of Peter Brady's antics? Oh well.

And shouldn't it be red, white, and blue?

--- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---
    I believe we are all still free to use any search engine that we wish. If they sell the wrong information, it's their fault since it's their job to retrieve accurate information from a search?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2016 ---

But we're one big global community!

Or so we're told, does modern day events not suggest we're really not?