Obama to nominate first openly gay Army head - Could be bad.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tunerX, Sep 18, 2015.

1. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

2. Populism Suspended

Populism

I assume Obama picked the best person for that job, and that the timing is simply coincidence.

3. dec., Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

What timing? The SCOTUS decision has been is irrelevant for many states, the acceptance of LGBT has been growing (maybe not if you're a cultist like Kim Davis, but the backlash has been big enough to put those fundamentalist pigs in their place) for years, the time frame of wanting to imply something opportunistic into the hiring of a gay army head is like +/- 5 years. So really, there was nothing to do to avoid certain comments from any side. No matter when it would have happened, some idiots would have made some snarky remarks about "THE TIMING!!".

(And by the way, I'll predict that there will be more and more gays out there just because of the fact that the SCOTUS ruling has made homosexuality more present and acceptable for some, in the long run).

4. Populism, Sep 18, 2015

Populism Suspended

Populism

Easy killer.

I merely meant the timing of The Obama elected in 2008 - the one who was against gay marriage - versus The Obama seeking a legacy of Populism.

Personally, I was in favor - unlike Barack Obama - of gay marriage in 2008.

I guess he and I are different that way.

Didn't realize "timing" was such a trigger word.

Again - your rant aside - I choose to assume Obama picked the best person for the job, and that this wasn't just a matter of timing. I choose to believe he means what he says.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I don't care who does what job as long as that job is being done by the best possible candidate regardless of ANYTHING about them, such as race, sex, orientation, etc.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not quite clear what "TI/NNY" means. I'm guessing (from context) it has something to do with New York state.

If you could clear that up, it might help folks comment intelligently on what you are saying.

7. dec., Sep 18, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

A lot of people have changed their mind about same-sex marriage. Good for them, feeling grief about something that really doesn't affect them in any way is pretty pathetic in first place

It doesn't really matter if you were in favor of it or not, I'd say.

Could be.

Sorry, I MIGHT have read too much into it (and I'll assume you're not one of those idiots who try to say something by using PC suggestive language instead of standing up to their opinoins)

Great - he hired someone. Stuff like that happens.

But again, why does someone like you find the need to mention "timing" over and over again?
    What makes "timing" in this case so relevant that you mention it, it's a simple job hiring process?

8. chown33 macrumors 604

TI/NNY is the opposite of WO/ODY. NYC is TI/NNY. Upstate NY is WO/ODY.

Central Oregon is AR/ID, but coastal Oregon is WO/ODY, except for the dunes, which are SA/NDY.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

The way it should be

10. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

TI is, Thousand Islands (Birthplace of thousand islands dressing). NNY is Northern New York; but if you ask locals we are North Country, not NNY.

If Fanning is not supportive of Fort Drum... Three counties will suffer. It could be devastating for us up here in the tundra.

11. dec. Suspended

dec.

What specifically made you mention that he's gay?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

It's mentioned as part of the article title

13. dec. Suspended

dec.

Good point :) . I was just wondering, since it reads like "he's gay - could be bad". I'm sure that wasn't the OP's intent.

14. tunerX thread starter Suspended

tunerX

That was exactly the intent. I left the title of the link to the article I read. I don't give a crap that he is gay. That was what you gleaned from read it; I only care about the bad things that may happen when McHugh is no longer in charge of the Army. You are more interested in the title than the content of my OP.

www.newzjunky.com

15. dec., Sep 18, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

Now you're a very smart one!

Next time say what you mean and I'll try to respect you and your funny upvoters.

16. 0007776 Suspended

I don't see why they need to make a big deal of the fact that he is gay. As long as he is the best candidate for the job it shouldn't matter, although if he was nominated because Obama wanted to make history by appointing the first openly gay person to the position then that is a problem. But given his previous experience he seems like a decent choice for the job so I'll assume that Obama actually thinks he is the best option.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We always make good points, even when we disagree with each other :p

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Base closings are always are
    politically hot issue. And one that puts a lot of the Tea Party/anti-government rhetoric into sharp contrast.

From a purely objective standpoint, we should let the professional military decide where, and how, it needs its forces deployed. As a nation, we need the leanest, most effective force possible to protect the national security of our country.

I do know this: Political pressure from Congress is wasting billions of dollars of taxpayer money every year.

19. Eraserhead, Sep 18, 2015

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Keeping army bases open for no military reason is big government gone mad.

20. 0007776 Suspended

Yep, it's a great place to start cutting the budget. Unfortunately none of the people in congress will agree with us.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think anything will happen to Ft. Drum no matter whose in charge. 18th Airborne is the go-to and always has been Drum/Campbell/Bragg will all be fine.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended