Obama to Nominate Merrick Garland to Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Mar 16, 2016.

1. 63dot, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/16/politics/obama-supreme-court-announcement/index.html

What little I have found on him looks solid. I hope he is confirmed.

The GOP could try and stop him but they have their hands full in taking down Trump which is not just possible but highly probable after Ohio. It would be a mistake for the GOP to go after Justice Garland being that there's nothing that stands out that is very bad. Garland was appointed by Bill Clinton.

If the republicans try and block Garland the populace will show their anger in the general election. John Boehner's obstructionist ways destroyed his popularity and Senate Majority Leader McConnell is next if the Senate plays dirty like Congress has for some time.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would be nice to have a SC justice who didn't attend Harvard or Yale.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Great pick! He was on my short list.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I hope the Republicans do their job and hold hearings and a vote. If they don't then hopefully they lose the senate. I think they are playing a dangerous game, they have the option of not doing anything, but that's going to hurt their chances at keeping the senate and if Clinton gets in with a democratic senate then they will get a much more liberal judge, and one that will stay on the court for longer.

As it is if they approve him then the court may shift a bit to the left, but he isn't likely to stay for long maybe 10 years or so. 10 years from now we have a good chance of another Republican president; Clinton will probably beat Trump this year, but that's only because people hate Trump more than Clinton. If the GOP runs a candidate in 2020 that is less extreme than Trump Clinton will be a one term president, and the GOP can easily take two terms to be in power when Garland dies or resigns in his 70s.

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

This does remind me of England where it's "Oxbridge" when related at all to politics.

He's still very qualified and it would be a shame for the republicans to sink this judge. Garland finished first in his undergrad major at Harvard.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah He'll probably be fine however doesn't precedent exist that they don't confirm justices during an election cycle?

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/17/u...urt-nominee.html?ribbon-ad-idx=2&src=trending

Ding Ding, let the fight begin

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's rare for an opening to come up, during an election year, but of the 8 that have come up since 1900 6 were confirmed and the other two at least got votes. What the Republicans are trying to do is completely unprecedented. The closest thing is that in the past at least Democrats and possibly Republicans as well have said that the senate shouldn't confirm a nominee to replace a judge that retires in an election year. I can somewhat understand that point of view since if a judge is thinking about retiring he shouldn't wait to see how the polls are going for his party.

9. Huntn, Mar 16, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Read about this guy and tell me what grounds the Republicans have for abdicating their duty to the country. Justice Garland is described as representing the solid center of the Supreme Court if confirmed. This man has been confirmed by Republicans in Congress in the past and is well regarded. Just listened to McConnell and he just confirmed that their objection is nomination is political. He referenced the process vs the individual as his excuse for holding up such a nomination.

Merrick Garland at biography.com

Merrick Garland is a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals. He supervised the prosecution of the Oklahoma City bombing and Unibomber case.

10. Moyank24, Mar 16, 2016

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Agreed!

We definitely need more Seton Hall Pirates in Washington!

Because who doesn't love a Pirate?? :D

11. Huntn, Mar 16, 2016
  12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Oh my goodness...it all makes sense now! My first husband is on faculty at Seton Hall. There's a shoe that fits (even if his are high heeled!).

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Heard an interesting tidbit about this earlier today. Basically the Republicans will hold it up until the election. If Hillary wins, they'll probably approve him as he isn't as liberal as most would like(from what I've heard), not chancing Hillary nominating an even more liberal justice.

14. unlinked macrumors 6502a

It is interesting that Obama picked someone who looks like precedent for holding up a judicial nomination until an election takes place.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Captain Phillips? Cardinals, Cubs, Reds and Brewers fans? ;)

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But if Hillary wins there is nothing stopping Obama from removing his nomination so Clinton can nominate a more liberal justice. The Republicans are playing with fire and will likely get burned.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The odds are against them. Go Trump!

18. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If Hillary win and the Dems take back the senate, could Obama retract the nomination in order to nominate a more liberal person?

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes he could. I don't know if he will or not, but it is a possibility.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Technically, the new Senate would be seated before the new President. Not sure if he can recall the nomination but the Dems could vote against the nomination.

22. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The President can withdraw the nomination or the nominee can withdraw himself.
    Though if the President does he's either playing the same game that he's just accused the GOP of playing or else he's validating their point that the next President should be the one to fill the vacancy.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Just hold hearings and drag it out if you must. To come out and flat out say "NO" is moronic. Vet the guy like they would anyone and see if he can remain standing.

24. dec. Suspended

dec.

I'd rather have them say flat out "no" than drag it out, it definitely sends a more accurate message, no matter if that message is being perceived as positive or negative.

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Probably not. Unemployed autoworkers won't vote based on a SCOTUS nominee and Boehner was overthrown by his own people for not being obstructionist enough.