Obama tried to bury CIA torture report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 8, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is no surprise, is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/08/cia-torture-report-release-date-nears

I'll be surprised if this is actually released. I predict another EO to bury it.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've heard it's coming out, and should prove to be very damning and damaging.

If the result turns us away from the practice ... a position we never should have changed ... then that will be one worthwhile effect balancing the humiliation we are likely to experience.

3. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No it is not a surprise. No president announces, "We tortured a guy". Every president within the past 50 years has been privy to tortures that happen during their tenure. It happens before they know, I am sure. Are you just relaying facts, or do you hold Obama accountable for this?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you know Obama only wanted "transparency" while he was running, not after getting elected.
    [​IMG]

----------

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'm relaying facts and I hold Obama accountable for trying (and still trying) to bury the report.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Obama should be accountable for any torture done under his administration and Bush should be held accountable for any torture done under his administration.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

God I wish more people had the back bone to see it & call it that way.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I have a very loose but broad theory as to why Obama is trying to suppress it, at least for now.

Let's assume that the report is very damning, and that what was happening to those kept in Guantanamo was paramount to torture. Obviously that could get us (the USA) trumped up on human rights abuse charges and taken to the ICJ at the Hague.

Furthermore, just like with Prop. 8 here, instead of suing the governor of California, both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jerry Brown were sued in their capacity as Governor of California. Obama could be sued in similar capacity as well (e.g., suing Obama in his capacity as POTUS).

If that is true or even possible, a sitting POTUS could be called to answer for the action of a previous POTUS' administration.

Again, not saying that Obama is trying to save face, because there is much much more going on than the public knows about, but it is entirely possible.

BL.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what about being called for HIS actions? God forbid the messiah looks like Bush.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Peace said it all.

BL.

11. TimelessOne macrumors regular

not surprised. This is not so much Obama doing as Obama continuing the trend of covering stuff up set by multiple one before. I know Bush did it. I know Regan did it. Bush Sr did it and I am willing to bet good money that Clinton do it.
    I sure as hell know Nixon did it.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Without the report, how do we know what HIS actions are?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

report is post 9/11, doubt you will see anything about Bush SR or Clinton for that matter.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The U.S. military certainly tortured Vietnamese during Nixon's tenure but I doubt the CIA under Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr, or Clinton tortured anybody. Got some data to support that? What was the objective? The Kremlin's crown jewels? Not proxies, either. We're talking CIA/US government.

15. TimelessOne macrumors regular

report is post 9/11. I more referring to the practices in and of itself.

16. Huntn, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There was no accountability under the GOP and the previous Administration. It will be interesting to see how the GOP politizes this as compared to their own past with Dubya in charge. For myself, I don't condone torture even with a Democratic President standing behind it.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is definitely one thing I'm happy to say that I stood by McCain on in condemning. He was one that called it like he saw it (and being a POW, he had to have seen his fair share of it), and called those in his own party out on it. Unfortunately, the Republican Political Machine rather dampened his rhetoric. :(

BL.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hope you mean condone...

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sure he does, hope he clears it up

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I know he does too, but for those not as perceptive as you and I, I thought some clarification might be in order.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sadly it's not surprising that Obama wants to hide it. Probably the thing that has disappointed me the most about Obama is that he ran in '08 saying that he was going to increase transparency in government, but at best he has kept it the same, and in some ways it seems like he has made things less transparent.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My first guess is that he's concerned about inflaming even further an already unstable and violent Middle East.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the same? try WORSE .

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You and I might very well see it that way.

But there are a lot of people, in those scary, nasty parts of the world, who don't. Who don't see any difference whatsoever between a Texas Republican or an Illinois Democrat in the White House. The only thing that matters to them is that Americans tortured prisoners. And if so, then they are going to use that fact (and an admission of that by the US Government) to recruit people to extract revenge on Americans. Americans serving overseas - working at Embassies or Consulates; military bases and NGOs. Americans working as journalists; as Doctors; as businesspeople and as tourists.

That is why the Obama Administration is wary about this report. Its not because they espouse torture, have ordered or tolerated torture on their own, or even want to make excuses for the torture that happened in the past.

Its because they are responsible for all Americans. And they are - perhaps with good reason - concerned about the blowback from this report's release on innocent Americans today, for crimes committed by our Government a decade or so ago.

Thats what Obama is trying to "cover up." Curse him for that if you must. But understand why he's doing it.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

While that is a valid point the truth should never be covered up.