Obama under Secret Service protection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, May 3, 2007.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd guess there were some pretty specific threats - the DoHS doesn't ordinarily grant just anyone a security detail.

I wonder who those threats could have come from? It couldn't be from any of the morally superior conservatives, so perhaps bin Laden doesn't want Obama elected, and would prefer seeing John McCain elected President?

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Usually candidates aren't provided USSS protection until after the nomination, when they are the party's nominee. At that point, it's a given. Up to then, I guess it's always evaluated as a matter of specific threats. It's an issue of a candidate's viability, prominence, and exposure. Post-Bobby Kennedy, it's always been an option. Generally, the candidate won't specifically request it, but the Administration can make it available. The candidate is also free to refuse protection at any time.

To be blunt, I'm sure there are a lot of wackos already making threats, and credible ones, simply because of his skin color.

I don't know if Hilary continues to keep hers, as a former First Lady. I seem to recall she refused it after taking the Senate seat.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's probably the Republican Party 'playing' politics.

(Have I really become that cynical?)

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Black presidential hopeful under secret service protection? Hmm. Can an assassination attempt involving a terrorist organization and a counter-terrorism agent who will stop at nothing to protect all the innocents AND his family?

I bet it'll all take place within one day too.

Sounds familiar for some reason, but I can't figure out why.

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Don't even go there. You can be sure that any threats to his safety are not by people politically motivated.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

FYI; the linked article says she has secret service protection

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can we? how do you know?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I doubt it is. While I know the Department of Defense, DIA, FBI, CIA, NSA, EPA, DLI, DOL, Justice Department, DOE, etc. have been infected, I have some hope the Secret Service hasn't been politicised.

Yet.

On second thought, after writing that list above, and with so many instances readily springing to mind, I could be very quickly persuaded into believing the Secret Service has been politicised too.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe i missed something, but when i commented, it wasn't about anyone in particular, including the secret service.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Whoops. My impression of BoyBach's statement was he was questioning whether the Bush Administration was playing politics with Obama by assigning Secret Service protection to him.

I assumed Swarmlord was dismissing that sentiment and you were asking how we knew. A case of reading too quickly.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

cnn

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's the way I read it, and I don't think it's the case either. I'm sure it was a threat. Either the campaign doesn't want to admit it, or the SS doesn't. And I'm sure someone will try to politicize it, the Dems implying neocons are racist and the talking heads on the other side saying he's a scaredy cat while egging on the same type of people who threatened him for his politics and his skin color.

Anyone else hear Rush's "Obama, the Magical Negro"? No, I'm not kidding. And no, that isn't Al Sharpton, it's an imitation of him. And yes, I realize it's based off of an L.A. Times article that quoted this guy, but that's not the same context. Same with B.O. Magazine and cocaine.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The latest I heard this morning was the increased traffic in hatred on KKK/supremicisit type blogs. Doesn't sound like an official political party to me. Do you think they really care about his position on Social Security? What's funny is that they might agree with every one of his political positions and yet hate him because of his skin color.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think we have a difference of term. if by 'politics' you meant 'the actions of the leadership of a political party', then i'll agree with you.

by politics, i meant simply, 'threats by those who wish to influence the 2008 political outcome', which includes racists.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah the radical right strikes again. Damn Christofascists.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

CBSNews.com Turns Off Comments on Obama Stories:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/05/04/publiceye/entry2761854.shtml

Could have something to do with it. Racism is still alive and well in America today. But let's be honest here, does anyone really think a majority of these people are voting liberal? Seriously? Not saying all of them are conservative, but c'mon.