Obama urges delay in digital TV transition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cycocelica, Jan 8, 2009.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28562781/

You have to be kidding me?! We have had over a year for these people to get their coupons and now the switch could be even longer? These people waited till the last minute, it is their fault, punish them. These people should have been requesting the coupons a long time ago that way this problem would have been known well before hand.

Ignorance really is bliss.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

OMG does he realize how much time, money and resources TV stations across the country have exhausted in making this happen by February 2009. The broadcasters are ready.

Pull the plug for heavens sake and give us DTV already.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm starting to think that it's never going to happen (and god knows I'm tired of hearing about it every night on the news). At this point it's time to finally take the plunge and just do it.

Besides, what about the people who were responsible and made the necessary upgrades? To not upgrade now would be an insulting waste of their money.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Tell me about. Bring on DTV...... Good freaking god. Enough of this crap.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'm so sick of hearing about "The switch to the digital revolution..."

And the countdown.

If you watch ABC7 in Chicago you know exactly what i mean.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Is there a difference in quality between Analog and Digital? I have a 720p HDTV with standard cable. Will I notice a difference when we switch to digital?

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm willing to bet most people won't even notice when it happens. I'm sure many got really panicky and jumped on the coupons to buy converter boxes that will rot in a closet since they have cable or satellite, and now the program is out of money.

It irks me how many people I know who the $40 would not have bothered them one bit to spend should the need arise, and were chomping at the bit to get their coupons.

We never bothered since we were on DirecTV now on U-verse, and will unlikely ever be off of cable before our two non-digital TVs die and even if we all of a sudden have a need, it's not as though $40 will break the bank, hell we'll make that up in the first month without cable.

Pull the plug, if you can't afford cable, and missed the coupon, just wait about a week and ask your neighbor with the satellite dish for his unused converter.

The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, the requirement was for broadcast to go digital, cable and satellite users should be unaffected. If your cable does change and you can no longer use it, I'd lobby the cable company for the converter box.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well seeing as there were tests to the systems already and very few people even NOTICED, we are ready, and have been. I wanna know who is feeding obama the BS that we arent ready, no doubt there are ties to some lobbyist representing a company that couldnt get their **** together.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Some of our local channels have already pulled the plug on analog.

I think if you have been living under a rock for this long, you deserve to pony up the $40! :p

Come on people, we have bigger fish to fry, pull the plug on the whole coupon idea.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really think this is Obama being fed bad info about this from his advisors. This is why I cannot comprehend the President not being able to have their own devices like laptops and blackberries, its like the white house wants to keep the president in a closed bubble where the only information they get is from advisors.

11. cycocelica thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

It is absolutely stunning to me how dense people are about this transition. How do you not know if you need a converter box? Do you have cable or satelite? Move on. Does it say anywhere on the box or manual about your television being a digital television? Move on.

No wonder the rest of the world calls us stupid.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Are you telling me that he hasn't watched NBC4/FOX5/ABC7/CBS9/CNN/MSNBC/FNC/any other channel on the market since he got to DC?

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I guess the analog frequencies are going to be converted for new cell phone technologies.

How could you not know it going to happen. EvERY channel that transmitted in analog was required to have so many public service messages during certain times of day.

pull the plug

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think that the president deffinatly spends much more time doing important things than watching the news, after all, for alot of the things the news reports on the white house has MUCH better sources.

I cannot think of another reason why an intelligent reasonable man would try to delay this unless theres something we dont know, or hes being fed false information.

Dont forget about the whitespace technology that can be implemented after freeing up those airwaves that all the ISP's are all up in arms about and trying to stop.

15. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The indignation resonating in this veritable thread of Bobo-dom is nauseating.

Newsflash everyone! There are a lot of dirt poor people who cannot afford UVerse, or even basic cable, or medicine, much less a converter box. They, like the country as a whole, are completely broke - whether anyone admits it or not.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thus, the well known and advertised for over a year coupon program.....

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Totally correct. There is no reason for people not being able to get one. There are government coupons for it and there is no excuse.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

wouldn't one figure they would be the first people in line?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well they are reporting that the funds for the coupon program are running dry.....

Meaning A) its working as intended and people are getting and using the coupons

B) Of course the government didnt bother doing their homework and set aside a laughably small amount of money compared to what is actually needed.

B being the most logical given our system;)

Either way it honestly scares me how slow this country is to adopt technologies and move on. Many important computer systems havent even been updated since the 80's and earlier!

20. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Sure guys, it's always just that simple. :rolleyes:

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The coupon program gave out coupons for 40 bucks. Some DTV converters were available for 40 bucks. I almost failed calculus in college, but I'm pretty sure if something is $40, and you have a coupon for $40 off, that makes it free, so being dirt poor shouldn't really be an excuse.

The DTV switch has to take place, and it has to take place as originally planned. Too much money has been spent on it for it to be delayed, and the airwaves can be put to good use. If you haven't gotten ready for it now, you're not going to get ready for it by any deadline, whether it's a month, or 10 years from now.

How is it not that simple? You get a coupon. You take it to your favorite local electronics retailer. You pick out the cheapest converter available, probably one for $40, and walk out of there paying nothing, or at the very worst, a few dollars in sales tax.

22. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Do some of you actually think all poor people are going to be as ever-so-sprightly-on-top-of-matters as those of you herein, likely college educated, likely well medicated, likely well-fed...?

Class warfare is at the heart of the entire fiasco this country is in, and this thread is an obvious microcosm of the aloofness toward the lumpen proletariat.

But, of course if they can't get a converter box, let them eat cake...

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm not ragging on the people who needed the coupons to get the boxes.

I'm ragging on the people who bankrupted the program getting boxes they'll never use simply because the government was giving out "free money."

People who didn't need them but jumped on the bandwagon are the ones who piss me off, how many converter boxes will never be used?

Contrary to popular belief TV is not a necessity the transition has been in the works for quite some time, and has also been delayed at least once. It's time to pull the plug. No one will die if they miss a few TV programs.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, they might not be on top of it like I might be, but obviously, if they're going to be affected by this, they have a TV and watch it, and surely have seen one of the announcements about the switch over the past couple years. The local channels here have constantly been running ads and sometimes even have the crawl on the bottom of the screen. They should've thought to themselves "Hmmm....maybe I should call that number or go online and get a coupon for a converter"

There's no excuse for not knowing about it. If they haven't seen the announcements, then they're not watching TV and it doesn't matter if they have a converter or not.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If the tv is so important to them surely they would have seen the nonstop ads and commercials explaining the situation NOT TO MENTION THE SCROLLING BANNERS THAT ARE UNMISTAKEABLE ON THE TOP OF THE SCREENS.