Obama waives sanctions on countries that use child soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If he didn't waive them you'd complain about the harm to industry.

I agree this is bad. But Libya is probably OK.

3. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Putting in hard line policies and then waiving them in many meaningful ways is his SOP. See Obamacare waivers.

4. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I wouldn't. Doubt the OP would.

In what way by any stretch is Libya 'ok'?

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This is a complete travesty, however it will be completely ignored by the liberal press.

Bush signed the law denying military aid to countries who use child soldiers in 2008, and Obama has waived the sanctions every year it was to be in affect.

The saddest part is he waives them every year after going on the record in a speech as being pro-sanctions and calling the use of child soldiers such words as barbaric, savage and inexcusable.

What a two faced piece of $#!^ this clown is - of course no one will ever know because this won't be covered.

Go ahead and make your excuses and figure out how to blame the republicans....

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fox isn't covering it either yet.

The story is still young.

7. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Everyone not plugged into the Mainstream Media and practically everybody in Europe know this.

It's just the US that has things down tight.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He's too liberal!

He's not liberal enough!

HURRRR OBAMA! HE DID SOMETHING AGAIN! TO THE INTERNET WITH OUR COMPLAINTS!

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And the question come why did Bush have it wait 2 years to kick in. Why not make it effected very quickly.
    I agree it not the best but there is more to this than just the hard line.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This has nothing to do with being liberal, and everything to do with being a lying, duplicitous, two-faced, anti-human rights pinhead.

There is no excuse for this behavior.

In Obama's own words, he says, "When a little boy is kidnapped, turned into a child soldier, forced to kill or be killed -- that's slavery. It is barbaric, and it is evil, and it has no place in a civilized world. Now, as a nation, we've long rejected such cruelty."

And then turns around and waives the sanctions for the third year in a row, allowing arms sales to the nations who kidnap children and force them to be soldiers.

No excuses for this behavior at all.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Of course you blame Bush. Your boy Obama is what here? Being a good world citizen?

He talks the hard line and then has no intent of following thru.

Bush should have implemented sanctions immediately as well, rather than trust the next administration at all. At the time, his excuse was to give those nations in violation time to comply before bringing down the hammer. I objected then as well - you see I don't make excuses for every stupid thing Bush did. Far from it. Bush did plenty of idiotic things in office.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Suddenly YOU'RE concerned about human rights? Since when?

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sorry I didn't read the links. Does this affect EVERY country that uses by way of kidnapping "child soldiers" like the title suggests ?

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Do you know the definition of the word liberal? You right wingers always attempt to use it in a derogatory manner, but it's actually a nice word to us. It means we're not closed minded and dumb.

As for Obama, I would like to hear what he has to say about this. I agree it's a complete disgrace and i would like some more details about it.

Since Obama. Funny he cares more about human rights around the world and couldn't give a crap less about civil rights here in the States.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Since...Obama. :mad:

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the waiver is on selected countries, with some sort of justification, but i agree it is bad.

the surprising part is that the criticism is coming from the right, as this reflects on of the (many unfortunately) movements of the administration politics to the right.

this goes together with guantanamo, drones, assassinations and other unacceptable policies. unfortunately if the neocon went back to power it would be even worse.

i understand realpolitik sometimes kicks in (e.g. lybia, yemen) but the US, especially under Dem control, should really be a beacon of human rights.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm going to wait for a report with more detailed information to come in, but if true, it's an enormous setback for human rights. I understand that advancing human rights on the global scale is going to be fraught with compromise, but this is nothing short of deplorable.

Man if my opinions had sex with your opinions it'd be so hot omg.

18. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

... especially if it gets Mittens elected. ;) On the surface, it does not look good. I'll have to know the reason why before I can judge Obama on this.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

^^^
    This.

It doesn't sound good to me either. But rather than speculate on what's behind the decision, I'll wait for him to explain it.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There's little to find on this current story...but I was able to dig up this from the Christian Science Monitor from 2010:

My emphasis.

IOW, this is one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situations.

Which is pretty much what I thought it was going to turn out to be.

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Another Obama fail. Nothing new here. Let's move on.

22. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Funny to see the rightwing nuts suddenly in human rights meltdown mode over a temporary policy decision by the Obama administration. Foreign human rights are the last thing these flag-waving types have ever been concerned with.

Do I sense political exploitation and hypocrisy?

23. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

This action brings into question whether Obama will hold the line in sanctioning Iran to get it to back away from making a nuclear bomb.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Explain, please.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Terrible decision. A) I don't want to give aid to these countries anyways. B) It condones abhorrent behavior.